• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I upgrade now, with the recent RTX 4000 price drops?

With AMD already announcing zero high-end competition I hate to think what nvidia will charge!
Doesn't matter.. What matters is how much AMD has improved is the RT performance for those who cannot live without it and at what price point. If by some miracle AMD manages to hit somewhere between 4070ti and 4080 RT with raster performance between 7900XT and XTX for 450-500 quid top then it will fly off the shelves as the 7900 XT/XTX are no slouch in every day gaming. Don't matter if nvidia wants to release a 5080 for 1000-1200 quid and a 5090 for 2000. The silliness will be at such a degree that only the most die hard fans will think its good value. The solution to get a massive win is very clear but of course, as much as I like AMD hardware, they do love to shoot themselves in the foot on a regular basis and mess things up. So don't hold your breath.

on the same boat actually
I got a 3080ti and I am on a 4k screen.
With the latest hunt update I started seeing my fps drop a lot :(

on the same boat actually
I got a 3080ti and I am on a 4k screen.
With the latest hunt update I started seeing my fps drop a lot :(

Not sure you are even in the same ocean, let alone the same boat as the OP :D

1727249376243.png

For you, holding off for the next gen makes sense, as unless you're going for a 4090 now, then I'd argue an upgrade isn't going to be "game changing". A 5080 you'd assume should be similar in performance to the outgoing 4090, with even more performance to come from a 5090.

Nvidia also offer a better feature set in my opinion, DLSS, FG etc
I guess that is a matter of perspective in the end. Where is the nvidia version of Radeon Chill? I actually use that feature a lot when on windows and miss it dearly on Linux. FSR gets me 90% of DLSS and FG I don't care about but is also available so those are not feature sets I feel like I'm missing out on.

I guess that is a matter of perspective in the end. Where is the nvidia version of Radeon Chill? I actually use that feature a lot when on windows and miss it dearly on Linux. FSR gets me 90% of DLSS and FG I don't care about but is also available so those are not feature sets I feel like I'm missing out on.

Good for you, looks like your needs are sorted.

Windows AutoHDR implementation is terrible in some titles. I also tend to use it more in older games where the performance hit isn't really an issue. Going from 105 fps to 100 fps or so on isn't noticeable.

I can't think of many scenarios where RTX HDR takes you from playable to unplayable.

Last edited:
RTXHDR is absolutely crap - just blown out whites and oversaturated. If you want to add HDR to older games that don't support it then SpecialK is the only way to go for a proper image.

As for OP, imo you're in the budget range for a 5080/5090 and that should be announced this year (probably by November), so might as well wait and make the purchase feel justified. Otherwise price/performance doesn't see huge swings (outside of x90) so it's never a bad time to buy a GPU if you want a new one.

RTXHDR is absolutely crap - just blown out whites and oversaturated.

It absolutely isn't. There are also sliders, once you've added the filter, to deal with any problems you might have with them, not that I've noticed any problems in my use cases at the default settings, and I know what blown-out whites and over-saturation look like.

I'm sure you can get a slightly better image with Special K if you're happy to sit and tweak the settings for each game, although I doubt most people will want to do that. Built-in plug and play features are what most people want. This may have changed, but using Special K was also problematic with multiplayer games and anti-cheat.

Last edited:
Depends on the deal. I chose to get a 4070 Ti Super for £575 after cashback because it was 30% off MSRP. I calculated the price to performance lift over the 7800 XT and for the remainder I considered the feature set on RTX to be worth the extra. I wouldn't have bought it anywhere around £800.

Depends on the deal. I chose to get a 4070 Ti Super for £575 after cashback because it was 30% off MSRP. I calculated the price to performance lift over the 7800 XT and for the remainder I considered the feature set on RTX to be worth the extra. I wouldn't have bought it anywhere around £800.

Wow that's a hell of a deal. I have been trying decided whether to get a 40 series or wait for the 50 series, but if I saw this deal I would also get it in a heartbeat

I have decided to wait on the 5000 series, though the recent price reductions are tempting, there appears to be a chance the new cards will be at lower prices, than the 4000 series, and there may be two 5080s, a 16GB and 24GB model, with the 5090 having 32GB of VRAM, though just rumour, all to be taken with a mountain size grain of salt, but it makes sense, one for gamers and a step up for creators and workstations, and nvidia can gouge more money.

Rumours though are all we have and if the RTX 5000 series turns out to be another Ryzen 9000 launch, then I can still pick up a 4070 Super or 4070 Ti Super at a lower price, but I will wait as it costs nothing and may gain better choices.

bonus fire risk…? Nahhh.
^...This....

That right there is going to be the killer blow for these cards in the second hand market... Even buying one new with a long warranty as we see doesn't mean anything now as they always want to do partial refunds now as the game because making sure the profit is already in their pockets and their customer left to find something else and lost that money.. Nahhh and you will soon see second hand places refusing to buy them once they keep coming back with this issue that was never really fixed.

Back
Top Bottom