Should the government do more to help the steel industry or....

Also China has literally just slapped dust in the face with their own tariff, so funny.

This is amazing. The Chinese don't care about Osborne at all and I hope he takes this breakup badly. Days spent in bed drinking himself into a near-coma before deciding to end it all by running his car in a sealed garage ought to do it.

:confused:

Put it this way, in 2007 Creda/Hotpoint assembly workers were on around £18,000 which was considered an excellent wage but the Italian bosses said they would have to work for £2/hour to make the factory profitable.
Port Talbot looks way worse than that.

My eldest is on just above minimum wage and has just been given a £147,000 mortgage.
I really don't get what a house has got to do with it.

Where I live a house costs a lot more and we don't have a steel works.

I'm not sure what everyone does tbh

The Chinese rhetoric is becoming increasingly aggressive, it's almost beautiful honestly.

The Chinese are as desperate as anyone mate, their steel industry lost 11bn last year.

But they'll still have the largest industry and the largest market cap, they aren't hurting, they've won via sacrifice.

Only now they will start eating into the services sector and the West should be extremely afraid.

Last edited:
Well if they put tariffs on the US puts tariffs and the EU puts tariffs on its all a bit unproductive.

But like the oil , no one will win.

I wasn't claiming it would result in anyone winning, I just want to see more headlines with the words 'Osborne' and 'failure' next to each other.

The Chinese rhetoric is becoming increasingly aggressive, it's almost beautiful honestly.

It's basically playground rules with China. We're like the nice, bespectacled, middle-class boy whose Mum has told him to play nice and you'll all be friends. China is the 13st Year 4 who nicks the nice lad's sandwiches. We need to toughen up and get smart - fast.

But they'll still have the largest industry and the largest market cap, they aren't hurting, they've won via sacrifice.

Only now they will start eating into the services sector and the West should be extremely afraid.

I agree, except that they are hurting steel industry lay offs and defaults/bankruptcy are happening in China , they have been treading water since 2008 waiting for an upturn and it hasn't happened.

China has a huge share of world GDP and will have a massive impact..

It's basically playground rules with China. We're like the nice, bespectacled, middle-class boy whose Mum has told him to play nice and you'll all be friends. China is the 13st Year 4 who nicks the nice lad's sandwiches. We need to toughen up and get smart - fast.

This must be a real difficult one for you scorza. Your main narrative in the EU thread is that we are better off out so our elected officials can make the right calls yet here is a situation whereby it ironically seems that our ability to veto EU policy may have done more harm than good..

[TW]Fox;29346013 said:
This must be a real difficult one for you scorza. Your main narrative in the EU thread is that we are better off out so our elected officials can make the right calls yet here is a situation whereby it ironically seems that our ability to veto EU policy may have done more harm than good..

Not at all - the EU is responsible for policing trade, not the UK government and the EU has not been able to take meaningful action against China. The fact is that to make a decision like that the EU has to get agreement from all 28 member states - I can only imagine how difficult that is, basically the system does not work for making the government that is dynamic and adaptable for the modern world. By the way, my understanding is that there are other membeer states who are also against imposing a punitive tariff.

Now there are two solutions - one is more EU integration so the EU can make decisions on trade without having to get 28 people to agree, this is the option favoured by Jean-Claude Juncker and will happen if we vote to stay in the EU, the other option is Leave the EU and make a UK minister responsible. Unfortunately we have an evil Tory government at the moment, who are using the EU as a convenient shield for screwing over the workers of Por' Talbot. Would they take the same course of action if that minister were scrutinised by the usual Parliamentary oversight and the UK press? Maybe, maybe not.

Now there are two solutions - one is more EU integration so the EU can make decisions on trade without having to get 28 people to agree, this is the option favoured by Jean-Claude Juncker and will happen if we vote to stay in the EU, the other option is Leave the EU and make a UK minister responsible. Unfortunately we have an evil Tory government at the moment, who are using the EU as a convenient shield for screwing over the workers of Por' Talbot. Would they take the same course of action if that minister were scrutinised by the usual Parliamentary oversight and the UK press? Maybe, maybe not.

Lack of attention paid to actions (or lack of) of our elected representatives is the fault of the EU which is providing something for them to blame, purely by existing? This is a stretch even compared to your usual baseline.

Hint: They are politicians. If they lose the EU as a scapegoat they will find another one. It will be "the EU that we recently bravely left behind" or "the horrendous management of the country by Labour".

Where does it end? I work in the non-ferrous metal industry (albeit in a non direct capacity) - our orders are massively down because of the low oil price and the lack of government defence contracts... we laid off 1/4 of our workforce off a month ago -where's the outrage and calls for action/support over our situtation?

Lack of attention paid to actions (or lack of) of our elected representatives is the fault of the EU which is providing something for them to blame, purely by existing? This is a stretch even compared to your usual baseline.

Hint: They are politicians. If they lose the EU as a scapegoat they will find another one. It will be "the EU that we recently bravely left behind" or "the horrendous management of the country by Labour".

But it will be literally 650 MP's one can blame vs 751 MEPs + 650 MP's + 28 Commissioners... like we can blame leaders with twice as much clout if it was just the UK parliament.

/maths

Back
Top Bottom