Should the government do more to help the steel industry or....

Not at all - the EU is responsible for policing trade, not the UK government and the EU has not been able to take meaningful action against China. The fact is that to make a decision like that the EU has to get agreement from all 28 member states

Which Member State said 'No' scorza?

How would this outcome have been different had we been outside the EU?

But we do manufacture things and we manufacture things that require steel.

So the question is do we want to handicap the manufacturing industry which uses steels by introducing tarrifs and artificially killing their competetiveness abroad? Port Talbot vs higher complexity, more profitable jobs.

Who remembers that famous map that was produced some years ago about the future of the EU.

Germany was classed as heavy industry, France agriculture and UK as banking and tourism.

It's being slowly enacted.

Its not about that, it's about sovereignty, bulldogs and hatin' browns!

#brexitist

Oh look - the old "want to leave the EU, must be a racist argument". Page 10 before we got that one, I'm disappointed.

[TW]Fox;29346260 said:
Which Member State said 'No' scorza?

How would this outcome have been different had we been outside the EU?

I believe I've already answered both questions if you'd have bothered to read my whole post - but then reading isn't exactly your strength is it? ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/01/chinese-imposes-tariff-on-eu-steel-imports-tata

China has risked raising tensions over its role in the UK steel crisis by imposing a 46% import duty on a type of high-tech steel made by Tata in Wales.

The Chinese government said it had slapped the tariff on “grain-oriented electrical steel” imported from the European Union, South Korea and Japan. It justified the move by saying imports from abroad were causing substantial damage to its domestic steel industry.

Tata Steel, whose subsidiary Cogent Power makes the hi-tech steel targeted by the levy in Newport, south Wales, was unable to say on Friday whether any Cogent products are exported to China.

News of the tariff emerged as David Cameron confronted the Chinese president, Xi Jinping, on the sidelines of a summit dinner in Washington on Thursday night, urging him to use Beijing’s presidency of the G20 group of leading countries to tackle the problem.

You do realise that the same company can make the same cheap crap that Chinese can make one blow and the high end alloy steel the next.
The main issue with steel making in the UK is chronic under investment, most of the steelworks are being run with modified old technology by companies wanting to make a maximum profit, this comes from foreign companies buying the order books of British companies.

The annoying thing is that the government is so adamant that it won't help but the rest of Europe is bending over backwards to support their steel industry. Accormital gets energy tariffs from the German government but ours raises them every year.

End of the day the steel works are in labour strongholds so the Tories won't give a ****, once the close they will be replaced by low skilled service sector jobs.

I know for a fact if the steel works in port talbot closes most of the younger skilled craftsmen will leave the country.

The Tories closed the pits
They closed the British car industry
They sold of the trains to their mates
They sold of the energy and water companies
And now they are destroying the steel industry.

I wonder how much money passed hands on the trip to sell the British infrastructure to the Chinese....

Sadly this is true.

When I was working in a shipyard in the 90s they were using german machinery that was shipped to the UK after WWII then the marshall plan was introduced and Germany got all new plant mean while 45 years later after 35 years of nationalized shipbuilding we were still using the same plant.

Same for the rail same for the coal mines and now seems like it's the same for the steel industry.

It beggars belief how it's cheaper to ship steel half way round the globe to pay the import tariffs to the EU than it is to make and sell it in Europe. :confused:

I suppose it's due to investment.

People seem to be surprised about productivity issues in the UK even after looking around and seeing the number of acquisitions made purely to hack the workforce down and flip the company around for a profit. Nothing will change until short-termism becomes a dirty way of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom