Should the 'luxury car tax' threshold be raised?

Man of Honour
found it, the change is also retrospective which is interesting

It was funny because you could buy a brand new Ford Mustang and not get charged the higher rate but if you bought a second hand BMW i3 on which somebody had added a few options you had to pay the full rate :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It was funny because you could buy a brand new Ford Mustang and not get charged the higher rate but if you bought a second hand BMW i3 on which somebody had added a few options you had to pay the full rate :D
Surely the i3 wouldn't pay being an ev, although 40k for a toy car is a crime in itself lol.

Associate
I think it's too low a limit. It occasionally needs to shuffle upwards. It's impossible to buy a family car from a few brands, which are mass market stuff, not luxury, like a 320d or whatever. Even a nice Kia Sportage is well towards the limit. Unless that is the intention of course, to be a tax on nice cars, not luxury ones. It does stop me spending more on a car though so it probably does the same for others. It wasn't ideal the old system being based solely on CO2, but at least it was staggered.

Associate
Who buys a £40k+ car and can't afford to pay the additional costs for it? There's plenty of used cars below that which have all of the "needs".

Edit: just saw it includes used cars with a "new value" of £40k... I don't agree with that.

New? Yes.
Used < 5 years ago? No...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's actually 6 yrs as you pay for the next 5yrs, this is the aspect I think is a joke.
That's annoying. My car is 4 years old (tomorrow, haby burt doy!) and I was hoping that meant 1 year to go (this'll be the 5th time it is taxed)... however what you are saying is the car needs to be 6 years old?

What happens if the car is taxed out of sync with 1st reg year too?

Last edited:
Associate
That's what the quote from dvla suggests, I don't actually know.

No idea what being out of sync would mean but I would imagine it is just annual from first tax date.

Last edited:
Associate
Who buys a £40k+ car and can't afford to pay the additional costs for it? There's plenty of used cars below that which have all of the "needs".

Edit: just saw it includes used cars with a "new value" of £40k... I don't agree with that.

New? Yes.
Used < 5 years ago? No...
It’s not about it not being affordable, it’s about coughing up money for nothing in return. An extra £350 a month is like making 13 payments a year, not 12. Or the price of two services.

Associate
I never understood why it was introduced in the first place. It penalises people for buying and expensive car, not a polluting one. I would have thought that value of vehicle has nothing to do with what the gov were wanting to achieve, which I assume, is to reduce pollution. The sooner we get rid of the 200+ CO2 vehicles the better IMHO but penalising people for buying a car that costs more than 40k seems ridiculous.

And yes,the extra years of £475 a year road tax does sting because it seems so unfair.

Soldato
what the gov were wanting to achieve, which I assume, is to reduce pollution
What they were trying to achieve was to raise tax money from people in a way that wasn't easily avoided and was also publicly palatable because at the time £40k cars were the reserve of the relatively well off. It's probably semi deliberate that it doesn't raise with inflation, so as to increase the tax take over time.

Associate
What they were trying to achieve was to raise tax money from people in a way that wasn't easily avoided and was also publicly palatable because at the time £40k cars were the reserve of the relatively well off. It's probably semi deliberate that it doesn't raise with inflation, so as to increase the tax take over time.
Yes, I suppose it's like stamp duty. Introduced when the threshold affected relatively few house sales, but now is pretty much on every sale to some extent.

Back
Top Bottom