Shouldn't laptops be taking over now?

Soldato
Since the start of desktop level parts in laptops, mainly since Pascal, should we now start to see laptops take precedent over desktops?

performance in a portable package is always going to be a winner no? I can't imagine not having a gaming laptop, sometimes I'm sat at my desk and think a bit more grunt would be nice but then I wouldn't be able to stick it in my bag and cycle 20 miles and chill out on a game at the other end!

I know thermals are a limitation but this is starting to change.

Soldato
It's not just thermal limitations is battery as well, plus people like to have a big screen.

Lets face it you can't have a ultra wide laptop that's 30" and it be portable

Soldato
Since the start of desktop level parts in laptops, mainly since Pascal, should we now start to see laptops take precedent over desktops?

No. Laptops are always, always, always a compromise due to the form factor. It's like watching a movie on your phone instead of your nice big TV with proper speakers. Gaming laptops have a place (ie portability and small size), but it's not at the top end of performance and the maximum experience.

Soldato
OP
Well the other argument is, with a laptop can just dock it, I have a 30" monitor, not the best but it's so good experience. But I can just disconnect the laptop and walk off, can't do that with a desktop.

Soldato
Well the other argument is, with a laptop can just dock it, I have a 30" monitor, not the best but it's so good experience. But I can just disconnect the laptop and walk off, can't do that with a desktop.

That's true, but the form factor still compromises things like the CPUs and GPUs available, cooling, etc.

Caporegime
They can't sustain that performance though, a benchmark is a few minutes, after 20 minutes of gaming you'll start hitting thermal throttling.

Soldato
When laptops are capable of producing these sorts of scores, where is the compromise?

That's a top end laptop. How does it compare to a top end desktop? Presumably your laptop isn't running dual 1080s and a top end CPU all watercooled and overclocked.

I don't know why you seem to be taking this as a personal slight. Top end laptops can be powerful, but they can't be as powerful as top end desktops, even if you plug them in at home and use a big monitor, thus making the laptops no longer portable. It's just what they are, just like a mobile phone isn't a home cinema.

Associate
That's a top end laptop. How does it compare to a top end desktop? Presumably your laptop isn't running dual 1080s and a top end CPU all watercooled and overclocked.

I don't know why you seem to be taking this as a personal slight. Top end laptops can be powerful, but they can't be as powerful as top end desktops, even if you plug them in at home and use a big monitor, thus making the laptops no longer portable. It's just what they are, just like a mobile phone isn't a home cinema.

My first post in this thread, how can I appear to be taking anything as a 'slight'.

I simply presented a notebook that is capable of taking on all except the most extreme of desktops.

I have no real opinion on the topic. Both have their uses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Citation to evidence your claim please, or are you guessing?

If you look at the clock rates of CPU's and GPU's in laptops you will see how this limitation restricts performance, along with the cores / threads. That being said modern laptops are much better than those in the past and the gaming laptops can have very usable performance as well as portability.

Man of Honour
Citation to evidence your claim please, or are you guessing?
I don't think he needs a citation. It's a very well known issue with a wide range of laptops including the latest Macbooks, Thinkpads, Dell XPS, etc, etc. It's often mentioned in reviews.

Man of Honour
So you overclock to achieve better performance?

Common phrases employed by people with no idea what they are talking about.

Do either of you own a high end gaming laptop?
So you have never heard about the thermal throttling issues? I simply don't believe that.

We aren't just talking about gaming laptops. Not everyone wants one of those as they usually look awful, have terrible battery life and are too bulky to use for most people. Most people want something to use as an actual laptop and prefer not to look like a kid with a toy. Gaming laptops are a very niche product.

Associate
So you have never heard about the thermal throttling issues? I simply don't believe that.

We aren't just talking about gaming laptops. Not everyone wants one of those as they usually look awful, have terrible battery life and are too bulky to use for most people. Most people want something to use as an actual laptop and prefer not to look like a kid with a toy. Gaming laptops are a very niche product.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the looks of gaming laptops, absolutely fascinating.

Have you not heard of liquid metal, undervolting, overclocking?

Which laptop do you own?

Edit: For someone with 21K posts on a PC retailers website I'm shocked by your lack of knowledge on the topic.

Look at my sig, spend some time browsing the sub forum you are posting in, consult some videos on youtube of people gaming on their laptops for hours. Checkout the notebook review forum with the millions of posts about getting the maximum performance from notebooks.

It ain't 2003 no more. This tech has moved on since your old fashioned ideas were common.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom