Show Us Your Motors!

Man of Honour
Toyota got BMW to help them with all the bits they usually get badly wrong, like the interior.

As a result the new Supra is genuinely brilliant.

Caporegime
Toyota got BMW to help them with all the bits they usually get badly wrong, like the interior.

As a result the new Supra is genuinely brilliant.

I think the engine is the main sticking point for most.

You say that they got BMW to help with the bits they usually get badly wrong, but they have historically made some of the best engines ever.

A few people have already 2JZ-GTE swapped them. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the engine is the main sticking point for most.

You say that they got BMW to help with the bits they usually get badly wrong, but they have historically made some of the best engines ever.

A few people have already 2JZ-GTE swapped them. :p

Honestly I’ve owned mk4 supras and the engine is really something that’s not a concern in the Mk5.

People have engine swapped for drifting/motorsport/Instagram scene points mainly.

Extremely doubtful anyone is gonna drop £54K on one in the UK and then stuff a 25 year old engine with 200k on the clock in their car.

Caporegime
Yet there is one manufacturer who has got more straight six engines right than anyone else..

Mercedes? Chrysler? :p

As good as they may seem, there no denying that many BMW engines do have a lot wrong with them as well. They certainly don't have the reliability track record of Toyota. In recent years its not even close.

Honestly I’ve owned mk4 supras and the engine is really something that’s not a concern in the Mk5.

I don't think people have an issue with the capability of the engine, I'm sure its very good. Its more that its not a Toyota engine. Its not even from the right country. And there are BMW stamps all over everything. I can understand why people would have a problem with that.

Personally I'd love an A90 Supra, I think they're fantastic.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 2JZ was good for its time, if overengineed, but they haven't invested in new turbo engines for a long time. Most their R&D was in hybrids.

Didn’t the 2ZZ have the oil pump issue too so they aren’t bomb proof

Soldato
Seems like the people who have the biggest issue with the new supra fall into the below categories:

- Aren’t the target market/aren’t in the position to buy one
- Have a mk4 and will never change
- Don’t have a mk4 but view the mk4 as motoring perfection
- Don’t like BMWs therefore by default hate the supra (internet peer pressure helps here)

I’ll be the first to admit I was skeptical of the car at first. Didn’t stop me putting down the deposit though as I knew Toyota wouldn’t stick the Supra branding on a lemon. The focus towards handling and making it a sport car rather than an NSX/GTR competitor was refreshing.

It took me a few months to gel with the mk5 because once you get past the internet nay saying you begin to appreciate what a great car it is.

A perfect execution of a goal.

- distinctive looking
- genuinely fun to drive
- powerful
- reasonably priced
- easy to live with practicality and comfort wise
- great equipment
- reasonable running costs

Now people will put it up against cars like the below:

- Alpine: more focused but less usable
- Cayman: better drive but less practical & more expensive
- TT RS: less enjoyable to drive
- M2: faster (actually proven to be neck & neck on most tracks tbf) more practical but blends in, more expensive

I haven’t driven the above so I’m going purely off reviews.

My experience is that the Supra feels unique whilst being usable. Ultimately what good is a car if you don’t use it. They tune well too :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Now, whilst the first point is true, I cannot afford one. I also wouldn’t buy one.

I’ve driven the new Supra and its awesome, I absolutely loved driving it but I just don’t like looking at it. I’ve seen a few on the road and I can’t look at it and go wow. I totally appreciate the car in every single way but can’t fall in love with the looks.

From your list, the only one I’d buy is a TT RS but only as a daily. Never for fun, it’s too bland.

Back
Top Bottom