*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
Thinking i might buy one now, just to get it done. Smallest i can find is a 150W but the 350W and 500W are only £9 more so might just get the 500W as i'd habe no need to upgrade at any point.

Soldato
+1 for AHS heaters Microclimates

Green Iguana - Here some my iggy about to turn 15 years old in May
12890914_10153535611243526_6177556416186974958_o.jpg

12888601_10153535611373526_2366645394163028692_o.jpg

12540557_10153377275428526_2924579927908817500_n.jpg

Soldato
Beautiful iguana, Shanks. I bet he takes quite a bit of looking after?

Yeah sure does I would never tell anyone to buy iguana has first reptile.
I have had to upgrade his cage a lot over the years, truth be told I have also had to learn a lot has time went on.
I was young when got him and didn't fully understand what I was getting myself into.

He is very tame, even walks into bath and backout into his cage on his own for feeding every day they very clever.

Caporegime
I'd love one, but at the moment I simply couldn't take on something that would grow to that size - even though I expect it would take a long time to reach those kind of proportions.

Are there any reptiles which follow a similar diet to that of a green iguana / rock iguana and also stay small?

Soldato
I'd love one, but at the moment I simply couldn't take on something that would grow to that size - even though I expect it would take a long time to reach those kind of proportions.

Are there any reptiles which follow a similar diet to that of a green iguana / rock iguana and also stay small?

Am not sure they is, for a more experienced answer reptile forums would be the best place to ask.

Top of my head beard dragons I think have mixed diet and chinese water dragon also.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're looking for a small 'intelligent/curious/outgoing' lizard then an Ackie monitor is perfect. They stay pretty small and seem to be a little brighter eyed and livelier than the average bearded dragon. Some gecko species eat a jelly-like mix from a pot but you won't be handling those nearly as much as a monitor or dragon. For god's sake stay away from Tokay geckos unless you want it attached to you near-permanantly. Chameleons are quite rewarding and not as hard for a beginner as some make out, research is the key.

Caporegime
Thought I'd give Marmite a little stretch before I changed the bed. I put the electric blanket on, she loves stretching out on it because of the warmth. She seems to be getting even bigger. She's 12 now.

49aff1230f8fcbbdb19a019accd2687d_zps2wmgq0ci.jpg

Caporegime
If you're looking for a small 'intelligent/curious/outgoing' lizard then an Ackie monitor is perfect. They stay pretty small and seem to be a little brighter eyed and livelier than the average bearded dragon. Some gecko species eat a jelly-like mix from a pot but you won't be handling those nearly as much as a monitor or dragon. For god's sake stay away from Tokay geckos unless you want it attached to you near-permanantly. Chameleons are quite rewarding and not as hard for a beginner as some make out, research is the key.

Thank you. Noted. :)

Beautiful snake, Rob. :cool: How long do they live for?

Last edited:
Soldato

How small is small?

The Fiji Iguana pictured earlier in one of my posts is fully grown - They eat mainly green leaves and fruit, although they do appreciate the occasional bug as well. They are CITIES article 10 listed though so subject to strict controls. Also very expensive. I am trying to breed mine at the moment as I was lucky enough to come across a female.

I am a member over at the RFUK forum which is a great source of info and a good place for research.

Chinese water dragon I see mentioned above - I also have pair of these - They can potentially get VERY large - Not to the extent of the green Iggy, but should not be purchased if you are looking for something that will surely stay "small". Also they do not predominantly eat greens (I assume this a requirement due to not wanting to keep live food in the house?) - They mostly eat bugs, so wouldn't fit the bill there either.

Bearded dragons do eat bugs as well, but the diet should be mainly greens. They are relatively easy to keep and of course very easy to purchase, given they are massively over bred - There are literally THOUSANDS in rescue that you could look to home.

Off the top of my head I can not think of one single species that stays "small" and eats 100% greens and fruit. I will have a think and let you know if I can think of anything :)

Back
Top Bottom