*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
All fitted now and the ambient temperature is now perfect :)
I took him out while i let the unit heat up the viv as it was getting quite hot. But since getting the viv to temperature the casing is nice and cool.

And just a shot of Monty gazing at his reflection

Associate
And just a shot of Monty gazing at his reflection

Nice shots, does he actually use that hide? I've resorted to using a shoebox for my biggest until I can get a proper one made. He seems to prefer it if anything, which is more than a little galling considering how much the proper ones cost. :mad:

The calmest one taught me to not ever be complacent this morning, by lunging at my head with nearly his entire length. It was a close call, he's obviously in a hungry mood after just under a month without food.

Associate
Nice shots, does he actually use that hide? I've resorted to using a shoebox for my biggest until I can get a proper one made. He seems to prefer it if anything, which is more than a little galling considering how much the proper ones cost. :mad:

The calmest one taught me to not ever be complacent this morning, by lunging at my head with nearly his entire length. It was a close call, he's obviously in a hungry mood after just under a month without food.

Yeah he uses the exo terra hides. Usually only uses the one in the warm end. Monty has only struck me twice (down to my own stupidity) when I've moved things in his viv not realising how close he was to me.
Monty has taken 1 feed in the last 2 months so he must be getting hungry.

Associate
Yeah he uses the exo terra hides. Usually only uses the one in the warm end. Monty has only struck me twice (down to my own stupidity) when I've moved things in his viv not realising how close he was to me.
Monty has taken 1 feed in the last 2 months so he must be getting hungry.

Yeah I've done that a few times, only did it once after the boa damn near broke my wrist.

Wow that AHS is a bit overkill for that viv

He said he got it to last with upgraded/bigger vivs etc. I did the same or it would've bankrupted me. :p

Soldato
Ah fair enough :)

In my [much] bigger vivs for my Fiji and my CWD's I use a radiant heat panel - Much cheaper than an AHS (but also very big, so no good for a 2ft tall viv) and they kick good amounts of heat out (they are 425w). I paid £50 each for them. Designed to heat rooms in houses with no central heating. Work a treat with a pulse stat on. If you ever get anything needing a mahoosive viv then I recommend them. I think the brand I have is called Warmlite or something.

Associate
It's worth noting that the room and your house in general make a big difference. My brother spends a fortune on heating his because he lives in an old breezy house whereas it costs me nothing because I'm in a middle-floor flat. I never need the heating on so I can get away with lower wattage heaters. I give them a temperature drop every night down to about what they'd see in the wild and they come out to bask in the morning before sliding off back to sleep.

Bullet, when you need an upgrade let me know. I'm not taking any more in so once the current lot have grown I'll have a 5x2 going free with all the gubbins. It's totally sealed, the bottom is a bit scratched but substrate covers it.

Associate
Thinking a gopher but hes trying to persuade me to get a ball python as hes not got one but im unsure as its my first snake done a lot searching for information on gophers and they seem ideal.

Never mind what seems like a good beginner snake, if you want to keep yourself interested get an animal that sounds/looks like something you'd want to keep. If you're doing the research then most snakes are no harder than a corn snake, it's people buying on a whim that get into situations.

What often happens is people buy a royal thinking it will be lively, then get bored because they end up with a pet hide instead.

Do you want a snake you can easily handle or do you want to see as natural behavior as possible? In my experience you can't really have a good balance of both. One of my retics is uber instinctive and an utter git to deal with, almost like a wild-caught in his fury.

Caporegime
I think captive bred ball's are great first snakes. They are not very lively, so are easier to handle for new snake keepers. They are amazingly docile, normally good eaters (apart from their little fasts), and beautiful to look at.

Back
Top Bottom