Show Us Your Racks

Associate
Why is this, its not like a picture of some servers, switches and patch leads really tells you anything!

Security through obscurity, its about a million times more effective than security theater. If you dont know where a certain companies servers are then it significantly reduces the chances you will try and gain access to them physically, having employee's post pictures that could identify servers increases the risk of them being identified, datacenters are rarely exclusive to one company or another, some companies have their systems in a caged off area, I've seen some that just have them in a rack in an open part of the DC where you can wander around and the physical security is down to the lock on the rack itself. If it did become public knowledge where bank or big business kept its servers they might then be put in a position of having to relocate them which is rarely quick, cheap or easy.

Its common sense really not to post your geotagged image to facebook and twitter along with a checkin and a nice comment saying 'hey guys check me out, just installing new database servers for highstreetbank plc'

As for not being able to take cameras into a DC, the only place i've ever had to actually hand over my phone was at a location where the mini-DC was at the back of a warehouse full of phones and it was more to do with the fact that they were wary of people stealing phones than taking pictures in the DC, If I do a DC install I always take pictures not for showing to people but so I have proof of how I left it, i.e "yes I connected all the FC connections correctly, look see heres the picture" (helps significantly if you have a high res pic and you can visually trace cables)

Associate
I had to take a picture because the cabling was so bad, i thought you all might appreciate the cringe. I didn't expect the third degree and personal insults as a result. But come to think of it, not realy that surprising. I was told by the office manager that the security watch dog costs over £1000 but they screen all their employees.

For my comment, I was more implying that you either need more imagination, more ambition or your just not very skilled if thats the most secure stuff you think you will ever work on :)

Permabanned
I think this is going too far, keep posting pictures.

I have some yummy ones hopefully, a new brand build (with no identification tags). Don't know how long it will be though still been built.

A lot of you might remember my build post a while back (2 year project).

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Just received a Netapp Rack, FAS2240 system with 50TB of useable disk, 3 HP DL380 G8's, DL360 G8's and all the jazz that goes with it, close to 1,000kg hand balled today, still loads to do, will get pics when I can :)

Associate
Here is a test environment i had to rack today. I'm a network engineer mainly dealing with Cisco kit but was asked to do this today. The specs blew me away! The R910 has 1TB of RAM! I had to reseat one of the riser blocks and there was 8 x 16GB dimms in each riser. The top box is just a drive bay with 6 x 400Gb SSD drives. All the other drives are 2TB SAS.

IMG-20120703-00306-1.jpg

IMG-20120703-00303-1.jpg

Permabanned
Some of the videos on youtube are so funny and no need for a lot of people do do this in their homes.

I can understand someone wanting to start their own business and make some money but home servers are not the way to go. Not now.

Some people just go OTT!

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the videos on youtube are so funny and no need for a lot of people do do this in their homes.

I can understand someone wanting to start their own business and make some money but home servers are not the way to go. Not now.

Some people just go OTT!

Why not? You will find most people in here use them for test enviroments because they work in the PC business. Personally, I have a home server to send media round my house, backup computers, redundancy for my files as well as anywhere access. The rack is just a handy place to keep the switches, router, modem, server, UPS and wireless access points.

Permabanned
Why not? You will find most people in here use them for test enviroments because they work in the PC business. Personally, I have a home server to send media round my house, backup computers, redundancy for my files as well as anywhere access. The rack is just a handy place to keep the switches, router, modem, server, UPS and wireless access points.

This is different, I am on about the ones actually running fully live servers that people pay. The ones that make the loud noise in a house! Not your micro servers or anything like that.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
2240 :) 8GB over 4GB? easy decision considering the price difference.

The two small form factor chassis have 24 x 450GB SAS disks in each, the large form has 24 x 2TB SATA drives in :)

The DL380 G8's are monsters though for 2U servers!

Back
Top Bottom