Show Us Your Racks

Man of Honour
I want a 12U rack for my CCNA lab =(
You know that you can easily achieve CCNA with GNS3 and no actual lab kit?

I appreciate it's nice to have hands on the kit in order to practice DR, IOS upluifts and what not, but there really isn't a lot you cannot achieve on GNS3, especially if it's for CCNA.

Just my 2p.

Here is a screenshot of some of the stuff me and my friends are doing:

FkGro.jpg

Soldato
Easily. They look like a bunch of plain beige boxes. Are you looking at the same picture?

Here's a phone shot with flash to show it's not beige.

img0518hs.jpg

The ugly stuff is on the other side of the room and in the basement.... :p

img0528et.jpg

img0526to.jpg

I give up with the patch panel and cable management. You'd understand if your small company office was in an old wine merchant's/brewery house (which is also a listed building) where the MD can't stop rearranging the entire layout and seating plans (3 times a year, no joke).

Soldato
One of the old development racks from where I used to work, bunch of older XR12ks I was using for product development, for MPLS based stuff, all gone and replaced with Junipers elsewhere now!

uGxY8.jpg

Soldato
That man needs to seek help.

I once asked that guy (S Morris) about link-colouring in MPLS-TE and the answer I got back didn't just completely explain how to implement it perfectly and make it work, I also got an in-depth explanation as to why Juniper do it 10x better and the reasons why.

The guy is a total machine, makes me ill thinking about his level of knowledge.

Soldato
You know that you can easily achieve CCNA with GNS3 and no actual lab kit?

I appreciate it's nice to have hands on the kit in order to practice DR, IOS upluifts and what not, but there really isn't a lot you cannot achieve on GNS3, especially if it's for CCNA.

Just my 2p.

Here is a screenshot of some of the stuff me and my friends are doing:
I'm like that, wanted an actual lab, oh well! I have a flicker on GNS3 when I just want to test something quickly. And that is a lot of routers!

That man needs to seek help.
Quadruple CCIE he can do what he wants :p

Soldato
Quadruple CCIE he can do what he wants :p

Do they not teach how to wire a rack neatly at CCIE level? :p

One day I hope to go for a CCIE, I just passed my CCNA last month and I loved learning about it all, it's an exciting subject. Perhaps once I have a couple decades of experience under my belt I'll have a similar rack setup (assuming that it still comes in racks at that time, and I would never wire it like that :D)

Permabanned

One day I hope to go for a CCIE, I just passed my CCNA last month and I loved learning about it all, it's an exciting subject. Perhaps once I have a couple decades of experience under my belt I'll have a similar rack setup (assuming that it still comes in racks at that time, and I would never wire it like that :D)

Been taught how to cable manage is a course on it's own! Some people really need to sort their cables out it makes IT look like a mistake. :)

Cables make me sick ha!

Soldato
http://smorris.uber-geek.net/cable-man.html ;)
I just think, why make a lab look neat if your going to be changing the topology often and therefore moving cables around... Why waste time making it look nice?

That looks need but that from what I can tell is only the back end infrastructure not what you would see being patched out where the mess comes from unless I am missing something

Kimbie

Associate
How can you say that looks horrible? :eek:

The disgusting beige colour that reminds me of old G1 compaq servers

They're cast aluminium. I'll take a better picture.

Ok so its just the reflected light from your horrible beige server room, still aluminium is not much better... its just apple being too cheap to include paint

Last edited:
Associate
The disgusting beige colour that reminds me of old G1 compaq servers

Ok so its just the reflected light from your horrible beige server room, still aluminium is not much better... its just apple being too cheap to include paint

It is anodized aluminium, and it is at least 5mm thick throughout... much more costly than the cheap plastic other vendors put on their servers in almost every case.

Man of Honour

If you have a CCIE and any sense you'll actually touch cabling personally about once a year. Nobody pays £150k for patching stuff, they pay it for designing the network, so you don't waste that kind of experience doing the physical build out, certainly not on access switching.

Back
Top Bottom