Show Us Your Racks

XL5

XL5

Associate
My rack at home, as it is now.

Rack2.jpg

Associate
Well If I can be bothered cleaning the garage to get to the rack i'll take some pics of my rack. At the moment it houses a Dell R710, PE 2950 Gen 3, Dedicated Micros DS2 and a HP Procurve 2610-48. It's meant to have a APC Smart UPS 2200Va in it, bu the batteries have gone and trying to find replacements so it's in the spare room.

Dell servers are used as esxi 5.1 hosts, for experimenting with, and also to aid with training i'm hoping to do later next year for vcp. Need to sort out some shared storage though, so either it's going to be iscsi, or nfs but am looking out for options on ether, or whether I just use a freenas/opennas setup. Not sure of speed between them though as switch is only 10/100.

XL5

XL5

Associate
Looks perdy :o

Been trying to find a nice rack for my kit that I can afford (very low budget),but can't even find any second hand...

Either they're too big to get into my bedroom or they're located too far away for collection :(

Yeah, getting it in was quite a chore, I had to remove the front window and bring it in horizontally.

For those wondering, as well as running the home network, this serves as a sandpit for academic projects at University.

Associate
Yeah, getting it in was quite a chore, I had to remove the front window and bring it in horizontally.

For those wondering, as well as running the home network, this serves as a sandpit for academic projects at University.

Browsing the net for research - ? Possibly, nice rack though.

Associate
Slightly off-topic here but what the hell:

As I said above, I've been looking for a rack for my home kit for a while without much luck.

Anywhere other than Ebay to be looking for one? Got to get it through my front door, into
my hallway and then into my bedroom door (ground floor bedroom) which makes it pretty
difficult to find any racks that will get in the room and also be big enough to fit
everything in (25U+). That is unless I can find one that can be totally dismantled
for a reasonable price, which seems unlikely...

I live in Carmarthen (Wales) and there aren't many places locally with these
kinds of racks that I am aware of, and none which I have seen so far that
have any surplus...

Any help is much appreciated guys! Not that I'm very optimistic. :p

Associate
It's a bay window, so not very big :(

The two sides of the window are about 30cm wide and 170cm tall I think. The middle section of the window can't be opened, so it'd have to be taken out in order to get a rack in.

I guess that a big rack that could be totally taken apart would fit in (if the frame could be taken apart too) the little side windows?

Can't find any like that in Wales though. Seen a Prism one which I believe might be able to be taken apart to such an extent, but the seller hasn't replied to my messages. :(

XL5

XL5

Associate
It's a bay window, so not very big :(

The two sides of the window are about 30cm wide and 170cm tall I think. The middle section of the window can't be opened, so it'd have to be taken out in order to get a rack in.

I guess that a big rack that could be totally taken apart would fit in (if the frame could be taken apart too) the little side windows?

Can't find any like that in Wales though. Seen a Prism one which I believe might be able to be taken apart to such an extent, but the seller hasn't replied to my messages. :(

HP Racks don't come apart. The prism one we have at work is completely disassembleable - new word. I don't know if this is a standard design for them or if it's just our rack. Failing that, you could get two, two post racks...

Back
Top Bottom