Shucking

Soldato
I'll be buying a Synology NAS and need a single high capacity drive. I bought a WD Elements 8TB a bit ago it has a WD white label drive. I believe certain WD USB models have WD Reds if so which one, and is it pretty much guaranteed or could I get another white label or WD Blue?

I have a few HD but not enough space on others to move, wipe put in NAS etc so a new single big drive will get rid of the multiple smaller HD

Permabanned
WD white label drive
I believe certain WD USB models have WD Reds

what is the modle number on the white label drive. when they use drivers they use a gerneric laybel on the drives to stop people buying them just to sell the drive at a profit.
the chances are your drive is a RED just with a white laybel

Look at the specs, part numbers and so on

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem is with doing this you have no warranty on the drive, also a 8Tb drive is a lot of data to lose on a drive that's not backed up anywhere else as well, hell I have a 3Tb drive in my NAS (Not even 500Gb on it either) and am panicking because I've no redundancy, I need to buy another to mirror as it's a 2 bay NAS

Soldato
well yeh you need redundancy , but shucking drives is a cost effective way of getting decent storage. Iv moved over to multiple 8TB drives in recent months, and got rid of all my smaller drives which basically are now the backups

Back
Top Bottom