Shuttle SX79R5 LGA 2011 - Review

Associate
This is a weird one... The design is fundamentally floored because, the reviewer suspects, that the VRMS can't push the CPU beyond 4.4Ghz. Why go for an enthusiast platform in a small box, effectively crippling it so that it can't compete evenly with m-ITX Z77/Z68 solutions? Very curious development choice, unless Ivybridge-E is a bit of a game changer...

As for the product, it's certainly a innovative piece of kit I'd love to be able to have access to - especially modding it to be water-cooled. :)

Associate
OP
This is a weird one... The design is fundamentally floored because, the reviewer suspects, that the VRMS can't push the CPU beyond 4.4Ghz. Why go for an enthusiast platform in a small box, effectively crippling it so that it can't compete evenly with m-ITX Z77/Z68 solutions?

I am not trying to say that. I'm confident that the hardware can cope but that Shuttle have put in software (Bios) code that prevents the power getting used.
If Shuttle remove this restriction the machine will be very powerful and as it should be.

I have passed this information back to Shuttle and await thier response.

Last edited:
Associate
I am not trying to say that. I'm confident that the hardware can cope but that Shuttle have put in software (Bios) code that prevents the power getting used.
If Shuttle remove this restriction the machine will be very powerful and as it should be.

I have passed this information back to Shuttle and await thier response.

That's wonderful - it would make sense to protect the board, but if it's not allowing it to reach "standard" overclocks that can be competently dealt with by the ICE system, then that would imply they've set something too low. I'm intrigued by these lower sized, but fully featured units, especially with modding them - their PSU's are, and always were, well ahead of the game for compact, power features.

Associate
Does anyone know if the BIOS update released on the 7th of May has resolved the throttling issue? I've just put together a new rig for rendering but might get one of these as a render slave next. I had a couple of shuttles years ago and really liked them so wouldnt hesitate buying shuttle again as long as I can get the most out of my CPU for rendering.

Soldato
Hi Simon, Great review.

Ive picked up a SX79R5 but upon starting its just boot cycling constantly. Im using a C2 3930K so am thinking it need a bios update.

Which EFI version of the AUDOS flash did you use and link?

Also updating to Bios 107, which i assume is OK or am i better off with 106?

Associate
OP
^^ have replied via email

When I had the issue I could boot and get to the bios ok, it would just fail to run any kind of application in DOS or a windows install.
Is this how your one is?

Instructions for EFI flash are....

I found that I could boot to EFI Shell successfully.
I then found the application AfuEfix64.efi which is an EFI version of AFUDos.exe.
I put the AfiEfix64.efi file and the SX79R000.106 files onto a USB memory stick (Formatted to Fat16 or Fat32), then booted to EFI Shell.
Change the drive by typing fs0: (user can see what is their USB drive… maybe fs1: )
The you can browse the USB files and use DIR and CD as per DOS
When in the correct file area I type AfuEfix64.efi SX79R000.106 /P /B /N /REBOOT /X
And it flashes perfectly.

Last edited:
Associate
Hello Simon,

I have a shuttle sx79r5 with the same configuration that you exhibit in your review. As you have done to set the mSATA as hard disk cache. When I install the rste, there is no way to configure it so.

thank you very much

Associate
OP
Hello Simon,

I have a shuttle sx79r5 with the same configuration that you exhibit in your review. As you have done to set the mSATA as hard disk cache. When I install the rste, there is no way to configure it so.

thank you very much

Are you running the machine with RAID enabled in the bios? It must be in RAID mode to enable using the disk as a cache.

Associate
Are you running the machine with RAID enabled in the bios? It must be in RAID mode to enable using the disk as a cache.

Yes, I have configured the BIOS in RAID mode.
I installed the drivers from the CD and I have installed the Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise.

thx.

Associate
Hello Simon, a note, I have another shuttle SZ77R5 also a 60GB mSATA OCZI in this case when you install the Rapid Storage Technology, do not install the Enterprise version. Here let me set the mSATA device as hard drive cache. So I want to know how you did to make it in the SX79R5 Suttle.
Since only let me install the Enterprise version of the RST in SX79R5 and not the normal version.

I enclose RSTe screen printing, where you can see that there is no possibility of establishing the mSATA as cache.

rste.png

Thank you.

Associate

Hi Simon, after installing the system 4 times (in RAID mode, of course), I can confirm that it is impossible to set as hard drive cache mSATA device.

Thx.

Back
Top Bottom