Shuttle SX79R5 LGA 2011 - Review

@SimonMaltby - I have the SX38P2Pro currently running a Q6600 and an old GTX260. I have just picked up a KFA2 GTX660 EX OC for a good price and am hoping it will: a. fit and b. cope with the Shuttle's power output. The card reviews seem to suggest a requirement of 450-500w with the psu offering 450w max. In your experience with Shuttles, do you think this card should be ok?

@SimonMaltby - I have the SX38P2Pro currently running a Q6600 and an old GTX260. I have just picked up a KFA2 GTX660 EX OC for a good price and am hoping it will: a. fit and b. cope with the Shuttle's power output. The card reviews seem to suggest a requirement of 450-500w with the psu offering 450w max. In your experience with Shuttles, do you think this card should be ok?

I'm sure it will be fine, bearing in mind I have run a 680 without issue, the 660 should be fine.

Well sadly my 660 order fell through so stuck with the 260 for the time being. Next question is whether that can handle 3D movie output to Tv at 1080P. Also is there a special dvi to HDMI cable I would need?

Great review :)

I cannot stand power management features to "protect" motherboards that stop processors running their stock speeds. Maybe beef up the power circuitry shuttle? Have had the issue on a few AM3 boards, sad to see it being implemented on the 2011 platform.

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread but made more sense than making a new one.

As the i7 4930K uses considerably less power than the i7 3930K did (it's closer to i7 3820 consumption) do you think that one of these could run at stock speeds without throttling in the SX79R5? Without having to raise the throttle thresholds in the BIOS (I really want to use this motherboard but don't want to risk blowing the VRM's)

Back
Top Bottom