Siberia 800s upgrade?

Associate
OP
Set Windows to 7.1. Don’t need the Dolby headphone.
In that case aren't you relying on Windows to operate the 7.1 rather than the Steelseries hub via a Dolby signal over optical? I am currently just selecting Dolby.

Suppose I can have a fiddle and see how it all sounds!

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah. I've got it setup via analog from the Auzen X-Fi to the base station set to 7.1 in the Windows Speakers with the X-Fi control panel desynced so it doesn't take control and set to headphones.
Then with the THX setup for headphones:
[Spatializer]
2=90
3=0
4=90
5=0
6=90
7=0
8=90
9=0

Can hear all the distinct channels without it sounding all echo.

As nice as it was via optical with Dolby it was doubling up on the processing clipping the bass.

Associate
OP
100Hz is 1 down, 300Hz 2 down, 900Hz 2 down, 2.5Khz stock flat and 8Khz stock flat. I don’t use the Dolby setting on PS4 or PC as I despise the echo.

Yet, according to RocketJumpNinja:
3:19 and wait for his EQ settings. Tried them, didn’t like it.

Thanks for the recommendations VF. I have kept it to Optical out as it just sounds better (may be placebo who knows) but the EQ settings have given the headset a new life.

I am now jumping between buying the DT770s 80ohm limited edition with a FiiO - E10K and holding out for a particularly good sale on a £400+ set at Black Friday. Leaning towards waiting. Only a month or so away!

Associate
OP
The DT770 & 880 have been around since 1985 (unaltered) and are still going strong - says something about the design ;)
No doubt. The question is are they significantly a leap above the siberias. I definitely lean towards closed back as I'd want to be able to use them in lan environments / on holiday.

DT770s are just the set that keeps on appearing over and over in so many reviews!

Soldato
One is made by an expert in the field of headphones with many decades of experience, while the other is made by a company that makes flashy gaming peripherals - I know which one I would pick.

Associate
OP
One is made by an expert in the field of headphones with many decades of experience, while the other is made by a company that makes flashy gaming peripherals - I know which one I would pick.
Haha, that is true. The frequency range alone makes it fairly apparent! I've got one coming tomorrow. I shall report back. Eventually.

Associate
OP
I would suggest to go with the gaming, surely is designed for gamers .....:)
Well I'll be given them a fair go over the next few days and shall report back!

I do think the Siberia's have "good" sound. But I've only ever used gaming headsets so this is my first step into seeing whether it does provide better audio overall.

Associate
OP
Thought I would come back and report back on the differences between the setups.

Overall the DTs are just better than the Siberia's. In every category. I do find myself missing the wireless technology at times though.

In the end with the Modmic, DAC and headset the price wasn't really much cheaper either.

Music however sounds out of this world better!

Soldato
Overall the DTs are just better than the Siberia's. In every category. I do find myself missing the wireless technology at times though.
If someone made wireless transmitter receiver pair to which you would connect normal headphones to make them wireless that would sell well.

I would suggest to go with the gaming, surely is designed for gamers .....:)
It would be more like designed by scammers for those with more money than brains...

V F

V F

Soldato
Thought I would come back and report back on the differences between the setups.

In the end with the Modmic, DAC and headset the price wasn't really much cheaper either.

Music however sounds out of this world better!

It is the reason I’ve kept them for console gaming and went for a wired stereo set for the PC.

Associate
OP
It is the reason I’ve kept them for console gaming and went for a wired stereo set for the PC.
I wish I had. But I gave them to my father as an early Christmas present. My step mother loves me as she no longer hears explosions throughout the house! Haha.

It was just a little daunting how much clearer(?) everything sounds. Very pleased with it.

Soldato
My step mother loves me as she no longer hears explosions throughout the house! Haha.

It was just a little daunting how much clearer(?) everything sounds. Very pleased with it.
You should try binaural-sound.
While having lot smaller soundstage compared to open cans DT770 should have very good directionality/positioning for what closed design's overwhelming bass allows to distinguish details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA

The DT770 & 880 have been around since 1985 (unaltered) and are still going strong - says something about the design ;)
In Finnish PC-forum one person was just yesterday looking if there are any wireless open headphones with overal sound quality comparable to his 89 "vintage" DT990...
Ain't that fashionable looking design, but its designer sure knew lot more than little about durable design.
Sennheiser should be hitting itself to butt with cane for their design of HD5xx.

Associate
OP
You should try binaural-sound.
While having lot smaller soundstage compared to open cans DT770 should have very good directionality/positioning for what closed design's overwhelming bass allows to distinguish details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxO9cd-sYA
I'm running it through a FiiO - E10K Olympus USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier which give it enough volume that directional help would be fairly irrelevant to me I think. At least at the level I play at. :)

Soldato
I'm running it through a FiiO - E10K Olympus USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier which give it enough volume that directional help would be fairly irrelevant to me I think. At least at the level I play at. :)
Stereo's "in left ear-inside head-in right ear" immersion still sucks no matter if you play casually.
Though of course with lousy starting position for good sound you might not miss it now.

Here's that BF4 in stereo.
Should sound really crappy compared to for example that first minute.

Here's another starting with stereo. (time stamps in description)

Associate
OP
I may look into one in the future but right now the DAC and standard Stereo is a big enough leap for me. Especially as I spend a large proportion of gaming listening to music.

I don't play FPS' much the moment beyond PUBG with the vast amount of gaming time on Divinity or WoW if I'm honest either. I'm not sure I'd want to fork out more money on a soundcard I'd not really use the vast majority of the time when I've already got the FiiO.

Associate
OP
I have been looking into the whole soundcard versus external DAC and it seems like a really mixed affair.

Many games support headphones modes (supposedly) providing a little alleviation to pure stereo output - See Counter Strike for example - Which removes some of the benefit of virtual 5.1.

It also seems a lot of the "good" soundcards are still plague with bugs and support isn't necessarily that long?

What soundcard would you actually recommend for the DT770s?

Back
Top Bottom