Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
Be interesting to know how he got the gun. I can’t really think of any reason anyone in a city, least of all a crane operator, needs a gun.

Hopefully further limitations on gun ownership follow this like they did from Dunblane.

Obviously the above is assuming he legally owned one.

Further limitations? Like what? We have some of the strictest gun laws in the world, he could have easily killed the same people with a kitchen knife.

Capodecina
Soldato
Let's be honest, most men would kill to be born a Chad. 6ft 4, square jawline and a hairline that isn't on your neck by your late 20's sounds great to me.

Seriously though, I agree that it sounds like this fella was deep down the rabbit hole and hated everything about the world, major victim complex.

Was he getting help? Has that information come out yet? I'm always interested to know how these things are missed.

Soldato
Further limitations? Like what? We have some of the strictest gun laws in the world, he could have easily killed the same people with a kitchen knife.

I understand you can own a shotgun in a city centre. I don’t think that should be legal. I don’t really think anyone should own a gun in their house. Perhaps an argument can be made for farmers, but certainly there is no justification to own a gun in a city.

Man of Honour
I understand you can own a shotgun in a city centre. I don’t think that should be legal. I don’t really think anyone should own a gun in their house. Perhaps an argument can be made for farmers, but certainly there is no justification to own a gun in a city.
I was contemplating owning a shotgun because I quite enjoyed clay pigeon shooting.

I've been perpetually spooked by having it in the house though. It would have to be stored in a wall mounted 'gun safe'. Then there is a big fat tasty 'there are goodies in here' safe in the house. What happens if any thief actually gets hold of it? What happens if they hold you in the house and want the code to open it? Just seems to rapidly escalate risk even having it around and it puts me off.

Caporegime
I was contemplating owning a shotgun because I quite enjoyed clay pigeon shooting.

I've been perpetually spooked by having it in the house though. It would have to be stored in a wall mounted 'gun safe'. Then there is a big fat tasty 'there are goodies in here' safe in the house. What happens if any thief actually gets hold of it? What happens if they hold you in the house and want the code to open it? Just seems to rapidly escalate risk even having it around and it puts me off.

A kettle seems to be the usual answer for that when old people get robbed and the thrives want the gun/safe code.

But for 5hings like clay pigeon it would make sense for the law to be it is stored at the range at your cost.

If you wish to go to a different range you pay for secure transport

Caporegime
Seems he's some sort of incel/blackpilled person, complete with a youtube channel (which has now apparently been removed by youtube).

Gun safes will look a bit different to safes for valuables + you'll have to keep ammunition stored separately in another safe which you might want to keep hidden (or indeed might not have any ammunition in your home at the time you're broken into). If they want the code to open it then they, hopefully, just get your shotgun without anything to load it with.

I wonder if this shooter was a member of some clay pigeon club or something - he's clearly not a farmer and presumably doens't live in the countryside.

Soldato

I don’t think there’s a need to have a gun stored at your house for clay pigeon shooting. Store it at the range, under what I assume are more secure arrangements.

You’re right though, it would make me uneasy having a gun in the house rather than provide me with any sense of security. My understanding of gun security is that you probably won’t have the time to get it out and prepared in the event of a break in if it’s secured properly. (But happy to be proved wrong).

Soldato
not quite as easily though. getting up close enough to someone with a knife to kill them is a crap sight more difficult than just pointing a gun at them from range.

Only if people are alerted and fully aware of what you're doing.

Otherwise walking up to someone with a concealed knife is absolutely trivial.

Soldato
=

You’re right though, it would make me uneasy having a gun in the house rather than provide me with any sense of security. My understanding of gun security is that you probably won’t have the time to get it out and prepared in the event of a break in if it’s secured properly. (But happy to be proved wrong).

I have a bat under the bed personally.

But yea in this country not only would you not be able to get the gun out in time you would probably find yourself in big trouble because self defense is ALMOST illegal in our nanny state.

Soldato
you would probably find yourself in big trouble because self defense is ALMOST illegal in our nanny state.

So not illegal at all then and are you just upset that you might have to explain why there's a dead body in your house down at the station rather then the police take your word for it and go on their merry way?

Soldato
Only if people are alerted and fully aware of what you're doing.

Otherwise walking up to someone with a concealed knife is absolutely trivial.
and that will get you the first, maybe second person. after that people become alerted and defend or run making it much more difficult to kill them with the knife. so it would not have been just as easy to kill the number of people he did with a knife, which was what the post i was replying to stated.

Back
Top Bottom