Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Silvia turned up today, grinder not till next week though. Haven't used it yet, just doing a descale on it.

Shiny shiny!! Nice - enjoy your new addition :)

Ah, makes sense :) It looks as good as new after your TLC.

Are there no decent coffee shops near you? Supermarket ground is just hideous :( I'd even go for Starbucks over it as you can at least get them to grind the beans to the correct (well, less incorrect) fineness for espresso.

Talking of syrup...

Anyone recommend a sweet caramel one, Im not a fan of the burnt taste the Monin one has?

Before I'm lynched I'd like to point out that I'd only use a syrup in an iced coffee :p

Your best bet is to make your own simple syrup. It's incredibly incredibly easy and will cost you pennies. You can adjust the caramelisation of the sugar and the extraction of other ingredients (e.g. mint, though a mint coffee... /gag) easily enough with experimentation.

Before I'm lynched I'd like to point out that I'd only use a syrup in an iced coffee :p

Your best bet is to make your own simple syrup. It's incredibly incredibly easy and will cost you pennies. You can adjust the caramelisation of the sugar and the extraction of other ingredients (e.g. mint, though a mint coffee... /gag) easily enough with experimentation.

Its for the odd caramel latte so hold off on the firing squad ;)

While I'm here a story and then a question..

Basically while I enjoy the theatre of firing up the Gaggia and grinding beans as the only coffee drinker I found I was using it less and less and drinking more and more instant, this was not good so I have ended up with various manual things like cafetiere and aeropress.

Being lazy and drinking several cups of coffee a day I got a Tassimo and its better than instant but well you know!

So here we are, my 'instant' coffee is made in a bean to cup and the gaggia is for those times when I want to do it properly, enjoy the process etc!

What beans do folks like as their everyday coffee, I find I like different coffee in my everyday cup to when I want a espresso etc from the Gaggia?

I have been told Rave Italian job is a good one to try, I prefer nutty/chocolate over floral/fruit in my americano I drink too many cups of a day - anything else to add to my list to test out?

Yeah we wanted to see it was any better than pouring it out of the bottle. It is it you don't mind it coming out horizontally :D
Pretty good idea, I'm impressed!

My usual method was to pour some onto a tea spoon but it was quite awkward and messy. I went into a local community café one day and to my surprise they had gingerbread syrup on offer, naturally I couldn't resist a gingerbread latte! The lady serving must've poured a quarter of a cup full with the stuff, it was undrinkable past a few mouthfuls not to mention the fact they must be going through the syrup quickly.

Back
Top Bottom