Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
LMexit decision .... espresso is better in IMS

Unhappy with LaMarzocco 17g ridged basket , extraction typically too fast & inconsistent with about 15g dose and also wet puck ( lot of space above coffee) so tried a change to the IMS Italian option 18g but ridgeless and also has slightly convex base.
So far getting better results, was concerned that the ridgeless might drop out, knocking out, but holds fine with pf spring and yes I guess it does help for puck ejection.

basket_zpslqjkgmm7.jpg~original

After researching about LM (I had originally been disappointed by finish)
The matte finish of the new filter baskets dims the shine on the surface of the filter. The new finish will
ensure the correct operating principle of Vulcano-Swift tamping since it permits Vulcano-Swift grinders,
and avoids channeling along the baskets walls
that is what they say anyway - but I do not have one of those.

Soldato
I had emailed IMS to see if there was a UK supplier, but could not find anyone supplying ridgeless IMS in the UK (some folks sell the ridged) so I made several offers at this ebay seller, who also has a shop, but ebay was surprisingly cheaper.

Can get the VST brand ridgeless readily in the UK, but ~£20 seemed excessive, and utube review + threads sold ims to me.

[ IMS could probably sell me a filter screen too, the catalogue I referenced has some nice options - but just not available in the UK ]

Soldato
when I look at puck on a Bezzera HX machine I can see where water holes (6 radial) in the group head are hitting it, I do not know for sure that this is where water finally breaks through the puck; this was not as evident with the Silivia I had before (just a center distribution I thought it was) so I wonder if a different screen would prevent this on HX.
sizing will be a problem though since group head has a lip that screen fits over plus bolt hole, so would need to check IMS would really fit.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
looking for a slightly larger frothing jug...since my missus has jumped on board the freshly ground coffee train, my little dualit jug isnt big enough for two!

just looking for a decent quality item...milk art not going to happen so dont worry about that!

Associate
I had a kitchen kraft one, the handle fell off about the second time of knocking it, subsequently bought an andrew james one that's been solid for a couple of years now... although it does say "andrew james" on the side which I'm not too keen on, at least the font looks a bit nicer on the new ones.

Caporegime

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Just do one after the other :E No seriously, do. The foam/milk isn't "linear" in the jug/cup so the first cup with get all the milk, the second all the froth.

Otherwise: tbh it's a jug. Doesn't need to be complicated.

I've got all three of these: https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/ancillaries/products/stainless-steel-steaming-pitcher

I'd say you'll want the 20oz - the 32oz is huge.

actually I had never considered the milk to foam ratio for making two cups!!

you make an excellent point..2 individual frothings makes much more sense when you look at it!

Associate
Just about the bite the bullet on the Sage by Heston Blumenthal Barista Express.

Anything else I need beside a milk jug and some beans?

Worth giving something like this a go to see what's good and not?

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/starter-packs/products/espresso-starter-pack

I got the Sage,you get a jug with it.I'm really pleased with that bit of kit,easy to use and surprisingly small footprint for my limited space.I pull consistently good shots.That starter pack is excellent,got that on my last order,the Finka Alaska was delicious.All the other blends are good too.Love the Jabberwocky.Enjoy it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the Sage,you get a jug with it.I'm really pleased with that bit of kit,easy to use and surprisingly small footprint for my limited space.I pull consistently good shots.That starter pack is excellent,got that on my last order,the Finka Alaska was delicious.All the other blends are good too.Love the Jabberwocky.Enjoy it :)

top man - just looking for the black coloured one and will order it asap. Full kitchen got redone recently and wife got a wine fridge she wanted, I get my coffee machine!!

Where did you order from?

Soldato
booyaka espresso cups ? if you thought machine purchase was a dilemma , capital investment and blinds alleys in cup purchase can be significant , how is Sages' tamper too ?

afterthought : need a dedicated 'which cup' thread

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
cannot beat an illy espresso cup..it does exactly what its designed to..is a design classic!

for tall cups we just bough large costa glasses, they were only about 4 quid each from any branch..they are a good size and good thick glass

Back
Top Bottom