Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
Any thoughts on Mazzer grinders here? Tomorrow morning I'm off to view a Super Jolly & a Major, both second hand, ex commercial (light use)

Out of the two... The Major wins. But Super Jolly is certainly more than acceptable. However, I'd prefer whichever didn't have a doser on the front. I hate dosers. Pain in the arse to clean and best if gutted to remove all the internals to make it a straight pass through.
Major has 83mm burrs that are wonderfully fast, but not cheap to replace if they're knackered. Super Jolly is only (only...) 64mm.

More info here from Prima Coffee. https://prima-coffee.com/learn/video/how-to-select-mazzer-espresso-grinder

I've got a Mazzer Mini. My only regret is that the "chute" is horizontal, so there is quite a lot of waste build up.

They do hold on to quite a bit of coffee, easiest way to reduce that is the collapsible camera lens hood mod. Replaces the hopper. Add a lid and then a quick push down post grinding and it'll push out much of the coffee.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the replies and links, I ended up buying the Major this morning. I'll be performing some more on it no doubt, removing the doser (to clean & perform the clean sweep mod)) also removing the auto function are top of my list after giving the shoot a good clean out.

Turns out it also had brand new Titanium burrs.

The hunt is well and truly on for an Espresso machine now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Luckilly Mazzers are quite easy to work on. ;)

Titanium burrs? Bit of luck there. That's a couple of hundred quid saved. Good for 600kg or so of coffee.

Theres loads of mods out there for Mazzers. One that I've seen a lot is just a bigger stick for the adjustment collar. Just makes life easier. Lens hood is also very popular in the home environment.

Enjoy.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've a second hand Super Jolly. My clean sweep mod using cardboard held up for a year or so before I had to redo it.

I removed the hopper and just tend to stick my hand over the mouth when it's grinding as it seemed slightly less faffy then clipping a cover on a lens hood. I use a chopstick to flick out any grinds left in the chute after grinding then turn it back on for a second or so which seems to harvest a few more grinds out.

I keep meaning to look into the doserless, there's quite a lot of different ways people have done it though.. too much choice!

Protip: if you ever disassemble the doser lever mechanism / springs make sure you clock how they fit back together. I had a whole world of fun getting it working again :p

Soldato
Is there a good website that shows the different Mazzer models and production dates, or even serial number decode ?
I have been watching local gumtree (-yes - should predominately buy based on evaluated wear and tear.)

Does anyone use grindz product for burrs - no justifiication afaiks if you can easily get to the burrs with a tooth pick or like.
two most important accoutrements ...... for the chute

38658948795_188e38734a_m_d.jpg

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Is there a good website that shows the different Mazzer models and production dates, or even serial number decode ?
I have been watching local gumtree (-yes - should predominately buy based on evaluated wear and tear.)

I bought mine from the for sale section on https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forum.php for the record - you save a fair amount compared to Ebay (no fees). Plus, you know the people on there will have generally looked after stuff :).

Soldato
The question is how long you will be without coffee ?
hope it goes smoothly - I prefer to use a metal screw to remove gaskets(PF etc). May need a descaler soak as well as pulycaf too.

Caporegime
Descaling and pulycaf is done regularly, I mean actually dismantling and replacing the washers etc. as they go "hard" after a while. Having used this machine for two years now, I can feel some of the parts are binding when I operate the lever (get a mild "clunk" when pushing to off position which sounds/feels like one of the springs, perhaps.)

One of these kits is on the way.. hopefully I won't need a full-on repair kit or even new grouphead shortly after it arrives!

Soldato
A friend was given some Blue mountain beans, that I need to grind for them, for a drip maker - is there a rule of thumb for the grind adjustment, versus espresso ?

Epsresso is typically 7 on my Rocky (and the burrs touch about 0) so should drip be 14 say ie the grinds are twice as large ?

Soldato
Any recommendations from Hasbean? They're my go to roastery but I always find the choice totally overwhelming :o

It's hard to keep track of what's new in etc. with the way the site is laid out.

Soldato
I do find that Central/South American stuff makes a better espresso but when I'm brewing a Chemex/V60/whatever then I'll pick an African coffee pretty much every time.

To my tastes African coffee is a bit too acidic for espresso but something like a Kenyan Gethumbwini makes a perfect Chemex.

Soldato
A friend was given some Blue mountain beans, that I need to grind for them, for a drip maker - is there a rule of thumb for the grind adjustment, versus espresso ?

Epsresso is typically 7 on my Rocky (and the burrs touch about 0) so should drip be 14 say ie the grinds are twice as large ?

found a potential answer
had not appreciated how, out, shop bought packet grind might be for FrenchPress

1 -- Turkish (approx. 100 microns)
3 -- Espresso (approx. 300 microns)
5 - Paper Filter (approx. 500 microns)
6 -- Melitta (approx. 600 microns)
7 -- Metal Filter (approx. 700 microns)
8 -- Perculator (approx. 800 microns)
8 1/2 -- Pods (approx. 850 microns)
9 -- French Press (approx. 900 microns)

Back
Top Bottom