Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
Now I'm looking at Gaggia Classics and justifying this as the only thing I'll be able to enjoy for the next six months :p

I got one 2nd hand, worthwhile purchase. I am going through coffee like nobodys business right now though! :p

If it helps, I've spent £600 on an indoor bike because of this! DO IT! :)

Soldato
The new version of the Aldi Colombian beans are disgusting :(
thanks .. one to cross off the list .... I've taken beans back to supermarkets before now
forgot to look for their coffee section, again, today, trying to beat the checkout queues - Asda columbian+java beans if you can find them, are ok, like m&s italian

Soldato
I got one 2nd hand, worthwhile purchase. I am going through coffee like nobodys business right now though! :p

If it helps, I've spent £600 on an indoor bike because of this! DO IT! :)

Just done the deed, ordered a 2019 model Gaggia Classic :D Couple weeks lead time at the moment though, so now I need to shop around for a solid grinder to do it justice.

I really want to avoid something with pointless electronic things that can go wrong. I just want a manual machine with an on/off switch and grind adjustment. I like to buy things that have as little to go wrong as possible and are repairable.

Soldato
Baratza Encore gets solid reviews and isn't break the bank money.

What sort of budget are you talking as I've used a few midrange ones as well.

Kinda flexible, for good quality kit that will last, preferably not more than 300 though.

Kinda tempted by a refurbed Mahlkonig Vario, although pushing that budget a little. The guy in my local rosterei in Düsseldorf used Mahlkonig grinders and said they were good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Just done the deed, ordered a 2019 model Gaggia Classic :D Couple weeks lead time at the moment though, so now I need to shop around for a solid grinder to do it justice.

I really want to avoid something with pointless electronic things that can go wrong. I just want a manual machine with an on/off switch and grind adjustment. I like to buy things that have as little to go wrong as possible and are repairable.

NICE!

I love my classic, cost me £90 and I've twice burnt out the pump (yep, idiot) and replaced them for under a tenner!

Soldato
Decisions....

Looking at :

Rancilio Rocky (229)

Baratza Virtuoso+ (249)

Mahlkoenig Vario refurb (314)

Gaggia MDF (180)

Eureka Mignon Silenzio (329)

Tbh I'm leaning towards the Eureka, as I like that it's all manual, no displays or any nonsense, and all metal.

Soldato
... make sure its stepless, or moddable.

I used to recommend the Eureka minion, with its coloured bodies, it's attractive too, no wasted money on electronics either,
but it seemed they redesigned it putting a, filter grind only, machine frst in the range .. if that's the Silenzio, I wouldn't bite.
I have a Rocky(20years), modded for stepless.

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
good choice .. what colour ... they were in the market before KitchenAid, joined, producing better half , acceptable, colours.

Soldato
Just went for the chrome, neutral and should look smart next to the Gaggia.

Shame the coffee scene scene isn't as good here, I miss the old Rösterei down the road in Düsseldorf I got my coffee from. His Java was great, and the Guatamalen Hacienda Carmina is one of the best espressos I've ever had. Might have to see if he can ship some over once we get over the lockdown.

Man of Honour
OP
Just went for the chrome, neutral and should look smart next to the Gaggia.

Shame the coffee scene scene isn't as good here, I miss the old Rösterei down the road in Düsseldorf I got my coffee from. His Java was great, and the Guatamalen Hacienda Carmina is one of the best espressos I've ever had. Might have to see if he can ship some over once we get over the lockdown.

Nice, will be interested to know how you get on with it - its on my upgrade list if I can't stretch to a niche.
Where abouts are you based? there are some very good online roasters throughout Europe that are still shipping :)

Soldato
Nice, will be interested to know how you get on with it - its on my upgrade list if I can't stretch to a niche.
Where abouts are you based? there are some very good online roasters throughout Europe that are still shipping :)

In the UK. I've got some Kenyan Blue Mountain and Old Brown Java from coffee direct at the moment. Good, but not as good as the stuff I used to get at https://cafe-nikan.de/ the owner is just a really sound guy and roasts it all himself in the cafe and knows and visits all the growers personally. Think I miss the personal touch :) Any roasteries to recommend?

Back
Top Bottom