Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
any one every use the Flair 58/pro
my Niece is getting married and i see it on her wedding pressy list. Does it make good coffee. is it easy to use. or is it like so many things, sound good on paper, but such a pain to use u stick it in a box and forget about it

Soldato
So i have an Aeropress, i tend to buy a pack of pre ground which normally goes a bit off before i use it all so its rare i get it.
I could do with a grinder, scales, coffee container and coffee itself (decaf / normal).

For the grinder i was looking at the Wilfa Classic or the sage dose control pro although i was need to find a basket for the grinds i think which could end up putting me into the price range of the better Sage one (is it worth the extra?)...

As for the scales | Coffee Container and the coffee (i like strong coffee with a drop of skimmed milk) i have no idea at all.

Help :)

Thanks
Ben

Soldato
So i have an Aeropress, i tend to buy a pack of pre ground which normally goes a bit off before i use it all so its rare i get it.
I could do with a grinder, scales, coffee container and coffee itself (decaf / normal).

For the grinder i was looking at the Wilfa Classic or the sage dose control pro although i was need to find a basket for the grinds i think which could end up putting me into the price range of the better Sage one (is it worth the extra?)...

As for the scales | Coffee Container and the coffee (i like strong coffee with a drop of skimmed milk) i have no idea at all.

Help :)

Thanks
Ben
Personally I like to grind as I go, so I just have a small glass (think Nutella jar) to catch grounds and tip into the aeropress/pour over device. And storing beans is a little less fussy than storing grounds i.e. original bag, with a clip to keep it compacted.

Soldato
Sounds simple enough for storage so that's one thing i don't need then as go through enough glass jars.
Just the other bits to figure out now.

Caporegime
how are you all storing your extra beans ?

If you buy just 225-250g bags then you only need one medium size ish jar. The problem comes when I buy 1kg bags then it's like 4 jars.

It's easier to just still get 1 jar to leave on the counter to use and then keep the excess in a zip lock bag. You can even do the water thing submerge and get as much air out of it as possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s taken me a while but I’ve managed to produce some decent tasting coffee even with crap supermarket bought beans.

Now it’s on to getting some good stuff. Anyone got any recommendations on some decent coffee to try? I usually drink lattes or cappuccinos but a recent trip to Italy and trying good espresso out is what made me realise I needed a half decent machine. So ideally a good all rounder that can make decent espresso and milk drinks with but I’m open to trying others too.
Shop Local ;)

Soldato
Grinder turned up yesterday, seems pretty decent. Just trying to get the settings how i want them now. I think i'll need some scales that fit in the grinder tray bit though as it's a bit of a faff using my normal kitchen scales

Associate
After finally resigning to the fact I won't be moving for another year and a half, I've gone ahead and bought a hand grinder. Went for the 1zpresso J-Max as I don't want to buy something cheaper that I'll just replace in the end anyway. Friend gave me an old Delonghi Dedica and I plan on buying a non-pressurised basket and cutting/modding the plastic insert.

I was looking at the Flair machines as well, as I have little space, but concluded that that's something to get into when I know a bit more what I'm doing. Exciting times!

Soldato
I didn't actually like the Burundi all that much, it was almost too smooth when had as a flat white. I actually had that conversation with them just now.

The new monthly special sounds really nice but they only got it into the roaster last night so it won't be available until Monday. He said it's going to be good though, it's honey processed which always goes down well with me. I can't remember the exact notes he said but it was along the lines of white grape, sultanas and candy. I think it's Peruvian but I may have forgot already!

Back
Top Bottom