Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Ha yes, same box.

But yeah, the i thought I would hate the beep but it is quite useful to have that confirmation as it is a touch screen button.
Just had my first play around. After TARE'ing to 0 with PF on as soon as I lift up it resets back to 0 making reweighing the PF useless. Any way to get around it from resetting last recorded weight?

Soldato
Just had my first play around. After TARE'ing to 0 with PF on as soon as I lift up it resets back to 0 making reweighing the PF useless. Any way to get around it from resetting last recorded weight?
if you watched the pro vido I posted, they tare with empty pf, then re-weigh after timed grind and then, reweighing, add a bit more to the charge if necessary - can't see whose scales do they had

Man of Honour
So my visit to the LCF2024 is done. Nice to see so many people again, had some fun and a lot of great coffee too.
My top coffees today were from: Redemption Roaster, Plot Roasting and as a twist, the decaf coffees from Danelaw. A natural coffee that I actually kind of liked? Witchcraft! Dave at Danelaw is trying to do to Decaf what the world of speciality coffee has done to coffee. Raise the quality and the flavour of the coffee the key thing. Came home with a bag of his Colombian Single Origin decaf.

Also came back with a couple of different hot chocolates from Mork. Not cheap but seriously tasty.

Got to say that I'm glad that I'm not working all 4 days of the festival anymore. Just visiting for one day has left my brain frazzled.

Soldato
I'm going to stick my face in here and treat it like a general coffee thread.

I've gone through multiple phases with coffee, from a pod machine, to a Delonghi EC185 to an aeropress and usually end up back at a normal cafetiere. Main reason being that we only generally drink coffee in the morning and we just have a regular "americano" style coffee with milk. Using any of the previous machines made decent coffee (especially the Delonghi) but the drag was that it only made a single drink. To then make 2 "mugs" of coffee it became a chore.

In a rental last year the house had a drip machine which worked pretty well for what we needed. The process was decent enough and the coffee was alright. However it never really added much to a cafetiere to justify having another thing on the worktop so we never bought our own after leaving.

We've since gone through some crap ground coffee over here and i've decided that i'd rather buy beans. I've also decided that i don't want to use a grinder and then use a cafetiere. It's the obvious solution but i'd rather have a bean to cup machine.

Most bean to cup machines seem more adept at espressos though. Is the logical process to then make an expresso and then top up with milk/water? Or do i need one with higher clearance that allows extra water to be added all in one?

The other option is a bean fed drip style machine. These seem logical but is there anything i'm missing out on?

Caporegime
I'm going to stick my face in here and treat it like a general coffee thread.

I've gone through multiple phases with coffee, from a pod machine, to a Delonghi EC185 to an aeropress and usually end up back at a normal cafetiere. Main reason being that we only generally drink coffee in the morning and we just have a regular "americano" style coffee with milk. Using any of the previous machines made decent coffee (especially the Delonghi) but the drag was that it only made a single drink. To then make 2 "mugs" of coffee it became a chore.

In a rental last year the house had a drip machine which worked pretty well for what we needed. The process was decent enough and the coffee was alright. However it never really added much to a cafetiere to justify having another thing on the worktop so we never bought our own after leaving.

We've since gone through some crap ground coffee over here and i've decided that i'd rather buy beans. I've also decided that i don't want to use a grinder and then use a cafetiere. It's the obvious solution but i'd rather have a bean to cup machine.

Most bean to cup machines seem more adept at espressos though. Is the logical process to then make an expresso and then top up with milk/water? Or do i need one with higher clearance that allows extra water to be added all in one?

The other option is a bean fed drip style machine. These seem logical but is there anything i'm missing out on?

You can get this.

Or just get a single dose grinder and put that grind into a cafetiere, like a Fellow Ode gen 2 (£350) or even a DF54 grinder (£250).

The grinder route will get you the best cup and most future proof. The Cuisinart route is a single dead end solution with no where else to go later.

Personally I go with a DF54 and use your catetiere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tried this, this morning and it worked a treat! (Not that I need it, nice to know).

Excellent find and value for money Raymond

I can't even remember where I found it now...may be a YouTube short or the front page on Aliexpress. I think I saw the white one first but went for black.

Always wanted this style, the Acaia Luna is the one I REALLY wanted and there have been a couple of times I went for one. Even at my weakest I wasn't that weak to spend £250 on a set of scales, even if it does 0.01g. Considering they both have built in batteries and all batteries degrade and die. When this die I will just get another for £15. I need to buy a dozen of these before the cost of 1 Acaia.

Soldato
You can get this.

Or just get a single dose grinder and put that grind into a cafetiere, like a Fellow Ode gen 2 (£350) or even a DF54 grinder (£250).

The grinder route will get you the best cup and most future proof. The Cuisinart route is a single dead end solution with no where else to go later.

Personally I go with a DF54 and use your catetiere.

Cheers this is just like what i was looking at, but wanted a "recommended one",

Honestly i don't put enough value into coffee to watch to spend that kind of money on just a grinder. Although it probably makes sense. I like the idea of this as it does away with the need for a kettle too. I was probably thinking up to around €350 so anything coming under budget is a win in my books :D

Is there a way that a more "traditional" style machine would be capable of making enough coffee to fill 2 mugs? The idea to have a little more variety for espresso's for Lattes etc would be nice, but it's certainly not essential.

Last edited:
Soldato
So my visit to the LCF2024 is done. Nice to see so many people again, had some fun and a lot of great coffee too.
My top coffees today were from: Redemption Roaster, Plot Roasting and as a twist, the decaf coffees from Danelaw. A natural coffee that I actually kind of liked? Witchcraft! Dave at Danelaw is trying to do to Decaf what the world of speciality coffee has done to coffee. Raise the quality and the flavour of the coffee the key thing. Came home with a bag of his Colombian Single Origin decaf.

Also came back with a couple of different hot chocolates from Mork. Not cheap but seriously tasty.

Got to say that I'm glad that I'm not working all 4 days of the festival anymore. Just visiting for one day has left my brain frazzled.

That's because You O'd on Caffeine, I made that mistake 9 years ago after my first visit ;) I met Dave last year, really nice bloke. He went to the trouble of putting by a bag of Chinese coffee beans for me back in 2018 when he worked for Grumpy Mule.
I'll have to see if he has any his decaf left on Sunday, last year he did not have a lot left apart from the El Salvador.

Caporegime
Cheers this is just like what i was looking at, but wanted a "recommended one",

Honestly i don't put enough value into coffee to watch to spend that kind of money on just a grinder. Although it probably makes sense. I like the idea of this as it does away with the need for a kettle too. I was probably thinking up to around €350 so anything coming under budget is a win in my books :D

Is there a way that a more "traditional" style machine would be capable of making enough coffee to fill 2 mugs? The idea to have a little more variety for espresso's for Lattes etc would be nice, but it's certainly not essential.

Traditional as in espresso machine?

To fill 2 mugs? Not unless you like your coffee weak or small mugs. To fill 2 mugs of Americano you are going to pull a double shot. Any bean to cup machine will have a fixed dosage setting for 1 cup ratio. If you are looking at a more manual process then you will need to get a larger basket (extra expense), and probably a deeper or bottomless portafiler as the one that it comes will not accommodate a big basket. But that becomes a challenge in trying to pull a large espresso shot, I am thinking like 20g + perhaps like 25g in 1 go, most people pull 18g to give you an idea.

Even then when 25g split into 2, you are getting 1/3rd less caffeine...

Personally, I would rather make 2 separate espressos back to back at 18g than make a large one.

Or just get a DF54 grinder, use the cafetiere because I feel deep down that is the style of coffee you enjoy the most. If you want a filter flare to it, get yourself a Hario Switch (get a larger one for mugs) or a Chemex if you want to brew for more than 2 people at once. Much better coffee and practically fool proof this method.

Man of Honour
That's because You O'd on Caffeine, I made that mistake 9 years ago after my first visit ;) I met Dave last year, really nice bloke. He went to the trouble of putting by a bag of Chinese coffee beans for me back in 2018 when he worked for Grumpy Mule.
I'll have to see if he has any his decaf left on Sunday, last year he did not have a lot left apart from the El Salvador.
Takes a lot for me to OD on caffeine. ;)

It's was more all the DJ's pumping out whatever at high volume forcing you to get close and very loud to talk to anyone. Wasn't as busy as before which was pretty nice, probably because they were charging £60 for industry day tickets. Still not empty though.

Dave is great. I know he's was primarily pimping his decaf on the industry days and switching to his normal beans for the rest of the weekend. Hope that he will have some decaf left when you visit. I'm certainly not sharing mine. ;)

Soldato
Traditional as in espresso machine?

To fill 2 mugs? Not unless you like your coffee weak or small mugs. To fill 2 mugs of Americano you are going to pull a double shot. Any bean to cup machine will have a fixed dosage setting for 1 cup ratio. If you are looking at a more manual process then you will need to get a larger basket (extra expense), and probably a deeper or bottomless portafiler as the one that it comes will not accommodate a big basket. But that becomes a challenge in trying to pull a large espresso shot, I am thinking like 20g + perhaps like 25g in 1 go, most people pull 18g to give you an idea.

Even then when 25g split into 2, you are getting 1/3rd less caffeine...

Personally, I would rather make 2 separate espressos back to back at 18g than make a large one.

Or just get a DF54 grinder, use the cafetiere because I feel deep down that is the style of coffee you enjoy the most. If you want a filter flare to it, get yourself a Hario Switch (get a larger one for mugs) or a Chemex if you want to brew for more than 2 people at once. Much better coffee and practically fool proof this method.

On that Grinder. It says it’s a single dose grinder. Presumably that means I need to run it twice to get enough for the cafetière?

Does it hold a decent amount of beans in the feeder tube?

I sound lazy (and I am) but I liked the appeal of the cuisineart you linked as it feels like I could just come into the kitchen. Hit a button and boom I have decent coffee!

If I have to grind multiple times to get enough coffee then I’m more likely to throw it in a cupboard and buy ground coffee again!

Last edited:
Caporegime
On that Grinder. It says it’s a single dose grinder. Presumably that means I need to run it twice to get enough for the cafetière?

Does it hold a decent amount of beans in the feeder tube?

I sound lazy (and I am) but I liked the appeal of the cuisineart you linked as it feels like I could just come into the kitchen. Hit a button and boom I have decent coffee!

If I have to grind multiple times to get enough coffee then I’m more likely to throw it in a cupboard and buy ground coffee again!

They can hold enough for 2 cups (40g) easy enough.

However, if you think all you will drink is filter then that machine is 100% effective in doing that. Even making 12 cups and keep them warm for the whole day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom