"simple" FPS games

Soldato
Must admit Titanfall 2 was great, slightly embarrassed it took me so many years to play it.

DUSK is my favourite of the "new" retro shooters.

Simple enough to get into and fun, challenging also etc.

Must admit I have have been playing some of the Battlefield solo campaigns of late (no interest in the online with these).

Played Battlefield 1 and WW2 lately. Well worth the money when on sale which they are often, or grab a month's worth of EA Play for £3.99.

As mentioned above DOOM and DOOM Eternal also well worth a look.

Associate
No one has mentioned Doom 3, its one of the best FPSes ever made, just play the original and not the BFG edition, you also have a few source ports now. No one has mentioned the Half-Life games or Duke Nukem 3D, Forever also isn't a terrible game. There is also all the old Doom/id tech games like Heritic anx the like. You have Quake and Quake Ii and the solo Unreal games. You also have Return To Castle Wolfenstien and Wolfenstien 2009, which isn't that bad. There is also Dead Island/Riptide, which is one of the most underrated games due to people thinking it's mainly a xoop gams, play them solo, and then you also have Dying Light.

Associate
The oldies are the best when it comes to FPSs. The original Unreal.
Interesting fact, the Epic Unreal games weren't the first with Unreal in it's title. The original Unreal game is a game called Unreal World that started development in 1992, and is still in development. It holds the record for the game longest in development. It's also not an FPS.

Associate
Half life immediately springs to mind, although I assume most people would have played them by now.
Serious sam (3 is the best)
Turok 1 + 2 can be had on steam and are about as simple as you can get.

Soldato
Interesting fact, the Epic Unreal games weren't the first with Unreal in it's title. The original Unreal game is a game called Unreal World that started development in 1992, and is still in development. It holds the record for the game longest in development. It's also not an FPS.

I remember reading Epic's Unreal took a long time to make, 7 years or something. It is a pretty long game with great multiplayer too (which set the stage for UT).

Modern FPS games feel short and half arsed. Your lucky to even get proper multiplayer now (with dedicated servers and many players, mods, etc), especially inside a full on single player game.

Last edited:
Associate
I used to love when CoD or BF came out as I only play SP, they had fun, if not award winning campaigns, they started to drop in length and quality very quickly.
I'd prefer something with a story but frankly I take what I can get these days.

And Unreal was amazing, I don't recall the graphics card I had back then, a Voodoo 2 I think, ah those were the days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insurgency Sandstorm is a worthy mention if you like a bit of realism, but not too much. The shooting mechanics are probably the very best that i have personally experienced anywhere - guns sound, recoil, spark, kick up dust, have ragdoll impacts, penetrate surfaces (including bricks if shooting M4/AK/higher calibers). No story mode, but SP and Coop are still excellent fun and straight to the point gameplay. Lots of maps, weapons, mods.
Arma3 can also be very simple, especially in single player - tons of single player story missions and campaigns with full voiceover and plot. Mods make it shoot close to Insurgency Sandstorm in terms of feel sound and look. Both friendly and enemy AI are much more advanced than in IS - you can order them to cover you and so on. It also has a third person mode that is better animated than Ghost Recon :Wildlands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom