SimRig build*..........*build includes building a shed for it 1st

Associate
OP
Valentines day.....

Finally moved the plasterboard around for the final time. It's still stupidly heavy. Quite pleased with how this turned out. Have I mentioned screws? I have put thousands into this shed!

Associate
OP
Actual SimRig content!!!

16th Feb.

I considered building my own rig from 80/20 but in the end the hassle vs / £ saving ratio didn't work for me. So i've bought a P1X rig from SimLab along with their triple monitor stand.

Just checking my OCUK orders and on Valentines day I treated mysef to 3 of these: "LG 32" 32GN600-B 2560x1440 VA 165Hz 1ms MBR FreeSync HDR10 Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor" ETA April...

Associate
OP
Oh, i've bought a kitchen for storage and workbench usage. I looked into specific "workshop / shed" units but they were too expensive for me :)

This is what it should look like. I took the units that day so I could build them, but the doors and draws have to be delivered. Arriving this week.

Associate
OP
28th Feb. My external cladding arrived. I'm using a composite board so there's no ongoing maintenance required and hopefully it will outlive me. As with all aspects of this build it's an adventure into the unknown when I started fitting. It's appearing to go ok.

Associate
OP
Progress on the 6th March. Oh and my door arrived. Ordered in December! Never fitted a door before but lickily it fitted in the hole i'd left for it with a few mm of packers around it. I've expanding foamed the gaps and it appears to be in place well. Oh given the inside several coats of white paint.

Associate
OP
Morning all. Sorry for a few days of no updates. I've been banned because I mentioned a competitors name in the thread*. Opps! Been over 40 years since I’ve been made to sit on a naughty step but there you go. :)

Anyway, hopefully I can blitz through the updates to get us up to date. If OC starts selling building materials then PM me as this thread will get me exterminated rather than just a 3 day ban.

*Recommendations in that thread going to net OC several hundred pounds of business too!

Associate
OP
The cladding does look good, good choice in the kitchen counters too, if only for the aesthetic over more traditional tool benches given you're essentially creating a living space.

Cheers, I bought the units from a DIY supplier on the cheap end of the spectrum and have had to build them. I recently put a new kitchen in my house and you can see why some kitchens cost more than others.

Yes, the "shed" has spiralled slightly....I guess that's one advantage to taking your time over something. It gives you plenty of thinking time.

Associate
OP
Spray the cladding with “Wet & Forget” from Costco. Works brilliantly and stops it going green..

Top man, thank you. Do OC sell wet and forget? You'd better check :p I've not got a Costco locally but i'll Google use a searching tool and either buy online or find an alternative. Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Looks fantastic cant wait to see it all done! Definitely keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks, hopefully 95% done soon and I can "move in"

It's looking real good, I look forward to seeing the end cave & what hardware you use for the sim.

More sim updates incoming. Well computer stuff. I've pretty much decided on the PC build now. Getting the 3090 last week has pushed the build further up the list.

Associate
OP
3 total costs of painting and it's got some colour. It had another coat after this and after fiully drying out the patchy bits all went away.

I wanted to get it done before the flooring was fitted. I hate painting, ecpecially the "cutting in" I bought some green frog tape for the celing and....like always as soon as i pulled it off it bulled the celing paint off with it in parts. Sigh. It will be a job for the wife to do now as she's much more delicate than me.

Associate
OP
14th March now, almost up to date!

I've recently put down LVT in my house and being impressed with it i've bought some for the shed too. It needs a thin layer of plywood and then it's glued down to it. I think it looks great :)

Associate
OP
With the shed internals being close to completion I started the horrifically painful task of building my flat pack kitchen. Swearing happened but I got there eventually. None of them are anway close to square and if you sneeze near them they all move a few inches. I'll get them all sorted and locked together when I fit.

Oh, build the rig monitor stand too. I need to start planning exactly where stuff will be located and with the stand built it makes planning easier.

Associate
OP
Everybody has aircon in their shed, don't they?

Oh, I've fitted aircon.

I needed something to give me a little bit of heating. The shed is insulated well (hopefully!) but I thought it might still need some initial heat inside over the colder winter months. I was going to have an electric radiator but they are quite expensive. For only "a little but more £" (common theme) I could have this unit fitted and gain all the benefits that come with it. So I did. :)

Associate
OP
On reflection I probably need a longer trailer.....

....A quick trip to the timber merchants to buy skiring, architrave, window sill and some timber to frame the door and window.

A quick measure and cut and a trial fit. Looks good! The width needs cutting down. I'll paint then no more nails it into place when i'm happy.

Associate
OP
We're upto date...whoop whoop.

Yesterday the pretty bits for the kitchen arrived. On time and at the moment it looks like it's all there!

I definately need to build a shed to keep all this stuff in. It's like tetris in here moving stuff around!

A quick test with one door so I could see how it looked. It looks good.

Associate
OP
Phew! Right I should have started this thread when I started rather than trying to do it all in one (turned out to be two!) hits.

I'll update as I go now.

Thanks for reading so far :)

Associate
OP
Seems a bit excessive. lol

You shouldn't have any problems discussing other stores as long as they're not supplying things OCUK supply, so as long as you stay away from mentioning computer related competitors you'll generally be fine. If you want to mention Wickes or Homebase or something of their ilk it wont be a problem.

Your build is looking great by the way, really coming along nicely.

It's all good :) Fink was fine and I’ve apologies for my oversight. There might have been a little tongue in cheek on my building merchants comment. They run a zero tolerance policy and I was only suspended for 3 days.

Build, cheers. I'm pleased with what I’ve been able to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom