Poll: Singapore Grand Prix 2018, Singapore - Race 15/21

Rate the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
It isn't any different, and that's the point. Minors are being exposed to gambling when they shouldn't be. That's causing them to gamble, which is not only illegal but immoral. There may already be as many as 25,000 minors in the UK who are already addicted to gambling.

Read up more about football's problem with underage gambling: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/b542778d-871f-4716-abfb-0afb91fa7770
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44564869

There was a recent BBC radio report (couldn't find it with a quick search) that confirmed a majority of Premier League clubs had links to gambling websites from the children's areas of their websites. Edit - here it is https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...bling-websites-junior-pages-asa-a8527766.html

It is just wrong on so many different levels. The advertising is compelling the audience to bet live during sporting events, that it enhances the experience and makes it better. Completely the wrong messages to send to minors while watching any sport.

Soldato
Simple but good. If only their main product was available in the UK.

I'm still royally ****** off that they've signed a contract to allow gambling to be advertised to minors. The sport shouldn't need that and I can't understand why more aren't calling them out on it. In 20 years time, it'll be viewed no differently than advertising cigarettes to kids.
Or alcohol, plus the tv coverage and the signage at the tracks will be promoting gambling. Totally the wrong direction for f1 and I feel it is degrading to the sport. Shows that they will do anything to make the sport more of 'entertainment' that what it should be.
Hopefully the legislation for advertising and promoting betting will soon go the same way as cigarettes..

Soldato
I don’t see it being different to football on the gambling front. The adds in and around those programs are full of gambling.
F1 doesn't have adverts during the race, though. So the in-play bets would be shown on screen overlays, similar to the way they currently use AR for the 'Fight for 5' etc banners you see trackside as part of the world feed:
As part of the deal, betting brands will be shown on physical and virtual trackside signage, as well as branded on-screen graphics.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45558975

This means there will be no getting away from them. I also hope this means that those stupid adverts and overlays we have now aren't kept on the historical broadcast that's archived. The last thing I want to see in 20 years time when they show classic footage of a great overtake is a sign in the back saying 'Grosjean 3/1 to dump it in the wall'.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The last thing I want to see in 20 years time when they show classic footage of a great overtake is a sign in the back saying 'Grosjean 3/1 to dump it in the wall'.
3/1? More like 1/4 :D

You are all right. There’s no need, but it’s not going to change now they’ve penned the deal.

I never understood the Heineken sponsorship either tbh. “If you drink, never drive”... errr.... deliberately trying to make “don’t drive and drink” more complicated for the sake of it.

How about not showing a giant bottle of beer on the banners above the track and that way Steve won’t be subconsciously thinking about having a beer :o

Associate
Although I agree with above about it being bad idea, does removing it actually work? For instance when cigarette advertising got stopped did it change anything? Not really. They only released stats yesterday that smoking in young people has went down for the first time in how ever many years. It’s only really thanks to e-cigarettes (as much as they try and claim it was them covered up in shops).

I’m getting fed up with people being able to do things in moderation being penalised for everyone else.

Soldato
My main beef is that this, as with football, has no filter applied for minors. Children are being bombarded with advertising for gambling and associating that with the enjoyment of sport. That's a very damaging learned behaviour.

I'm pretty sure the advertising does work. That's why a gambling company has just handed Liberty Media $100 million. I assume they have an expectation of seeing a return on that investment.

Soldato
Until governments ban it like they did with Tobacco it's the new era. It's unlikely as it's not a public health hazard and they make plenty of tax revenue off it. Alcohol will get targeted before gambling, unfortunately.

Soldato
UK plc doesn't take that much from gambling at all. Under £3 billion last year compared to over £10 billion from booze. Tobacco's been falling for a few years and is now under £9 billion.

For comparison purposes, we take around £120 billion a year on VAT and £300 billion a year on income tax and national insurance.

Perhaps gambling is seen as a growth area for tax revenue... I'd argue that it is very much a public health hazard - mental health.

Soldato
Just watched it and wow that is quick. You can tell by it looks speeded up by the camera but the corner speeds are unreal.

It's not sped up (the video's lap time is what he qualified with). It's the wide angle on the camera showing the speed of the walls rushing by because they are so close.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm giving it an 8 because I was at the race and the atmosphere was great regardless of if they race was or wasn't (Race alone gets a 5/10).

There were 270,000 fans who attended and it was nice to see fans of different teams/drivers all get on well and enjoy the race with food and beer together.

Pics/vids:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M5jDN3gVj8RU7apBA

Back
Top Bottom