• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Single GPU v 2 GPU

Soldato
I'm putting together the final specs to my new build with the intention of getting an Ivy Bridge CPU when they're released.

See post - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21625115&postcount=23

now I've been thinking about stretching my budget for a GTX580 3Gb card instead of the one listed. Are there any advantages / disadvantages over a large single GPU over 2 lesser cards in xfire (Budget up to £350)

The rest of the system will be

mobo and ram as above, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, Western Digital HDD 2Tb + 1Tb, LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightscribe Drive, Corsair H80 CPU cooler, Corsair 600T White case, and re using an Antec 750W PSU.

EDIT.

The PC will mainly used for Photoshop / Lightroom with some gaming as well.

Associate
I'd get a single card solution, they're generally less hassle with drivers/etc.

I'd go 7970/680 over the 580, however the 580 will be cheaper of course..

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
general rules of thumb:

- Single card configurations use less power and so produce less heat, which in turn often means quieter operation.

- Single card configurations provide smoother frame rates as the disparity between average and minimum frame rates is dramatically lower.

- The chance of experiencing driver related difficulties with a Single card configuration is almost zero. It's pretty rare for any game to launch with zero issues for both SLI and Crossfire.

- Dual card solutions often offer more bang for your buck, especially if you buy last generation cards

Personally, I've often used SLI and Crossfire, much more than I've ever run a single card, but I've finally ran out of patience with the driver issues, jittery frame rates and nuclear power station levels of heat production so I've recently switched to a single card configuration and I intend on sticking to it.

Soldato
cheers for the input. Think I'll stick with the one card but if rusty and sehcure want to chuck me a couple of hundred quid I'll happily push the boat out for a 680 :p

Ha ha sure - as soon as I get a new motherboard and buy another for myself first :p

But do check out the performance of the 7950. I'm not sure what the price is of it compared to the 580 these days if you look around on the net but it's a good buy. Unless you hate AMD of course :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha ha sure - as soon as I get a new motherboard and buy another for myself first :p

But do check out the performance of the 7950. I'm not sure what the price is of it compared to the 580 these days if you look around on the net but it's a good buy. Unless you hate AMD of course :)

I'm using a 5770 at the mo in my pc. So i dont hate AMD, just prefer Nividia :p

Soldato
I used to run 480GTX sli until one died and now I can't get a replacement for it. Haven't even RMAed it yet. I would say that SLI is really not worth it with cards that are going EOL. Being unable to get a replacement really ruins your PC's performance. I was about to get a 30" screen.

Associate
Soldato
I used to run 480GTX sli until one died and now I can't get a replacement for it. Haven't even RMAed it yet. I would say that SLI is really not worth it with cards that are going EOL. Being unable to get a replacement really ruins your PC's performance. I was about to get a 30" screen.

If a product is under warranty and broken surely you can get a replacement, and if the model is no longer in production you should get a kind of 'new for old' version of similar specification? for example you'd get a 580/570 if they no longer had 480s.

Soldato

Reference design in SLI is a big nono and I just can't be bothered in spending the money on it.

If a product is under warranty and broken surely you can get a replacement, and if the model is no longer in production you should get a kind of 'new for old' version of similar specification? for example you'd get a 580/570 if they no longer had 480s.

What use is a 580/570 for me? Only thing I could do with it is sell it really. No point switching a 480 out for it really, a 580 is a 5% fps bonus pretty much.

Back
Top Bottom