Sirs - Spec some super socks, s'il vous plait

Soldato
My every day sock choice is a pair of thin cotton black socks. Lockdown has made my prize comfort over most other ideals, so I had a look around at how I could up my sock game, and discovered Danish Endurance bamboo socks.

I'd like to say they are the answer - but while they are very comfortable, they are not hard wearing. I got them around Christmas time, and some are already getting threadbare.

So can anyone recommend a super comfortable pair of light socks which will last a bit better?

Bonus question: With winter not so far away - can anyone recommend socks with a similar brief except for being nice and thick?

Soldato
I've owned some London Sock Company socks since xmas 2016, I wear them every day and they only just started to wear at the back of the heel last year. I got some more for christmas last year. They are really good quality and long lasting but they are expensive, but then they last ages so I think they're worth while.

Permabanned
Danish Endurance Outdoor Walking Socks in Merino Wool (not 100%), used to be good quality a few years back but the same ones (model or whatever) now are not.

Bamboo with all its good point is not going to wear as well.

I wear them with a thin liner sock and get far less blisters now.

Commissario
Bridgedale WoolFusion Trekkers, recently rebranded as Hike Midweight Merino Performance (although some retailers call them Merino Endurance).

I've got ten pairs, I've had them for around seven or eight years and they're just at the stage where the elastic is starting to go around the tops. Quite simply the best socks I've ever had although they're midweight rather than really light. However, I'd recommend giving them a look as they're good all year round.

Permabanned
You tried the newer rebranded one as with most inc Levis 501 and adidas trainers the quality is not there as before?

I ask as once my socks are worn out I am not buying the newer poorer quality ones.

Soldato
millets have a sale on sockes today, many are down from 15 to 10 or simular for top brands like Bridgdale. Just pick the ones that suit your needs by the descriptions

Commissario
You tried the newer rebranded one as with most inc Levis 501 and adidas trainers the quality is not there as before?
.. was that aimed at me? If so....
millets have a sale on sockes today, many are down from 15 to 10 or simular for top brands like Bridgdale
... I'll let you know later, as I've just ordered some more from Millets. Their descriptions are a bit vague so I hope I've got the right ones.

Permabanned
Yes, I am not happy with Danish Endurance now (read comments on Amazon from previous customers) so need something else and many are same story as were good years ago but not so good now.

I would get a fright if I added up what I paid for socks in past 5 years, 1000 miles are crap and went in the bin after a few weeks use.

Soldato
OP
I swear by 1000 mile socks for playing football in. Used to suffer terribly with blisters, and they seemed to cut them out entirely.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I've made a bit of a mess of the thread by asking two questions, so for most of you I can't tell whether your suggestion is for the light socks or the winter ones! But I'll take a look at them all. :)

Man of Honour
Not sure if these will suit, but a couple of years back, during a Type 2 diabetes check-up, the nurse commented on the slight skin indentations on my lower calf from the elasticated grip of my socks.
She suggested that I look online for “socks for diabetics.”
These are hard wearing, and stay up without leaving a mark, they’re not too thin, but they’re certainly not thick either.
FWIW, since the first lockdown, I’ve rarely worn socks at all, unless I’m going out for the evening.
If I go to Waitrose for a bottle of vodka, coffee filters, or wine for the enemy, I put on a pair of blue or brown suede loafers, no socks.

Soldato
I swear by 1000 mile socks for playing football in. Used to suffer terribly with blisters, and they seemed to cut them out entirely.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I've made a bit of a mess of the thread by asking two questions, so for most of you I can't tell whether your suggestion is for the light socks or the winter ones! But I'll take a look at them all. :)

Darn Tough do socks for the different conditions - I use lightweight for summer and mid-weight for winter.

They're by far the best walking/hiking socks I've had and I've tried quite a few different brands over the years.

Soldato
Bridgedale WoolFusion Trekkers, recently rebranded as Hike Midweight Merino Performance (although some retailers call them Merino Endurance).

I've got ten pairs, I've had them for around seven or eight years and they're just at the stage where the elastic is starting to go around the tops. Quite simply the best socks I've ever had although they're midweight rather than really light. However, I'd recommend giving them a look as they're good all year round.

Another shout out for these, also got pairs that are a decade old and still in really good condition.

Caporegime
My every day sock choice is a pair of thin cotton black socks. Lockdown has made my prize comfort over most other ideals, so I had a look around at how I could up my sock game, and discovered Danish Endurance bamboo socks.

I'd like to say they are the answer - but while they are very comfortable, they are not hard wearing. I got them around Christmas time, and some are already getting threadbare.

So can anyone recommend a super comfortable pair of light socks which will last a bit better?

Bonus question: With winter not so far away - can anyone recommend socks with a similar brief except for being nice and thick?

Check uniqlo I haven't tried socks but thier airsim t-shirt and underwear are amazing.

Their linen stuff is good to and the thermatec for winter

Soldato
Look at Darn Tough merino walking/hiking socks, expensive but they have a lifetime guarantee!

I wear them every day, they’re amazing. I have about 10 pairs of them. Remember to reverse them when washing. Trekkit usually do good deals on them.

I also have bridgedales for the winter, they’re amazing too. I reckon they will still be the same quality.

Soldato
I wear them every day, they’re amazing. I have about 10 pairs of them. Remember to reverse them when washing. Trekkit usually do good deals on them.

I've only got the two pair but I only really wear them for walking.

American through-hikers literally wear the same pair every day for months on end, walking thousands of miles, so they're definitely built to last.

I'll keep an eye out for the Trekkit offers, cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only got the two pair but I only really wear them for walking.

American through-hikers literally wear the same pair every day for months on end, walking thousands of miles, so they're definitely built to last.

I'll keep an eye out for the Trekkit offers, cheers.

I wear their 3/4 trail running socks and have a few of their plain white ones fans well, so it’s not just hiking socks.

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/...ow-tab-ultra-lightweight-cushion-white__41485

They are my every day socks if you will.

Soldato
OP
I absolutely agree with those saying quality is worth paying for. But I've still really struggled to get myself to pay £20+ for a pair of socks. Or even £10+ really! :o

I happened to visit GoOutdoors today, so while I baulked at the Bridgedales, I have taken on the mention of liner socks above, and bought a 2 pack of Peter Storm Coolmax liners for just under a tenner. We'll see how I get on with them, and if they're good, I'll go back and empty their shelves. :D

I wimped out of the thick socks quest because there was just too much choice, and they were all loads of money.

Back
Top Bottom