Sitcoms that couldn't be made today

Caporegime
OP
For suggesting that your statement that Fawlty towers couldn't be made today is ridiculous?
Shami, to clear things up, I mean, would the shows be commissioned today, using the original scripts. With Fawlty Towers, I believe the answer is no. With regards to the major scene with the cricket, the scriptwriter would probably get warned never to send in a script again!

Caporegime
Exactly as it was originally? Absolutely not. Most of the episodes would be fine but a few would have to be trimmed/edited. So no it couldn’t be made today. So again, why are you being silly?

Did I at any point say that? of course it would be different, no show made 5 years later let alone 20+ is going to be the same. The Buffy reboot will be very different in all likeliness.

Soldato
Not sure about quite a few of those, if they still show them now on mainstream TV then how is that any different to making a new series with the same format.
One of the sitcoms that doesn't get repeated however is 'it aint half hot mum' using the words such as 'you is a load of pooftahs' It was last shown on BBC in 1984

One of the reasons reason the beeb banned it is because the Indian character Rangi Ram was played by a white man blacked up ( Michael Bates)
Apparently the Beeb have now relented and you can now download the first series

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/617487/BBC-bosses-It-Aint-Half-Hot-Mum

Caporegime
OP
Not sure about quite a few of those, if they still show them now on mainstream TV then how is that any different to making a new series with the same format.
One of the sitcoms that doesn't get repeated however is 'it aint half hot mum' using the words such as 'you is a load of pooftahs' It was last shown on BBC in 1984

One of the reasons reason the beeb banned it is because the Indian character Rangi Ram was played by a white man blacked up ( Michael Bates)
Apparently the Beeb have now relented and you can now download the first series

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/617487/BBC-bosses-It-Aint-Half-Hot-Mum
They’re shown on mainstream TV but they make a lot of cuts. The BBC cut the majors scene from FT, and Gold always cut out the bits where Del Boy says **** on OFAH.

Soldato
Did I at any point say that? of course it would be different, no show made 5 years later let alone 20+ is going to be the same. The Buffy reboot will be very different in all likeliness.
Aw come on man, stop being so obtuse and intentionally argumentative. The OP is talking about old sitcoms being made today, so we have to take that to mean making them today as they were originally. Not a reboot or remake. in which case they simply couldn't be made today.
you know exactly that that is what was meant so I don't know why you're twisting it.

Soldato
Caporegime
that's actually quite funny. I particularly like the line......'The Friends cast and guest stars were all extremely white.'

:D

it is at least slightly reassuring to see that pretty much the entire comment section for that article is critical of it

Soldato
I dunno. In many of these, the bigotry is the object of ridicule, not the target of the bigotry.

In which case the overall approach doesn't differ so much from something like Al Murray or Ali G. (Which I know are still not current, but a lot closer.)

Caporegime
OP
I dunno. In many of these, the bigotry is the object of ridicule, not the target of the bigotry.

In which case the overall approach doesn't differ so much from something like Al Murray or Ali G. (Which I know are still not current, but a lot closer.)
Exactly. The most racist sitcoms like Alf Garnetts and curry and chips were written by Jonny Speight. He was an Eastender who took in all the abuse and bigotry he heard while in the pubs of the east end. He wrote characters like Garnett so the rest of the country could see how ridiculous they were and not laugh with them, but at them.

Man of Honour
20+ years ago Homophobia was seen as fair game for comedy so if you picked through most sitcoms from that era that ran for enough episodes I expect you'd find instances of it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom