Ski Jacket

Soldato
Hello all.

As winter approaches I think it might be an idea for me to get a jacket. However, instead of just getting a normal jacket, I was thinking of spending a bit more money and getting a proper ski jacket, as hopefully I'll start going on a few skiing holidays when I get some money together.

What should I look for in such a jacket?
I've never bought a proper jacket before so I don't really know what I'm looking for, although I do have a few criteria:
-Will be used for both skiing and as a regular coat in this country
-Not black
-Not white
-Respectable looking, so no camouflage styles!

I don't really know what brands I should be looking at or where to buy from. I want it to be as cheap as possible, although I don't want to get cold so it has to be fairly decent! Definitely nothing over £400.

Thanks for any advice.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
i've got a waterproof helly hansen which is very good. got 50% off as it was from a previous season.
also have a brown cord oakley snowboarding one, which isn't waterproof, but i got that in the US and again it was on sale.

for just a jacket, £400 is more than enough. start at helly hansen though
burton are very good too

try some stuff on in the high street, and then buy it online as it's bound to be cheaper

http://www.blue-tomato.com
http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/

Last edited:

Naf

Naf

Associate
Don't think this is a competitor, but have a look at http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ Popular mountain sports shop that has all the top brands etc :)

I got a Helly Hansen jacket in the Sale earlier this summer for £95 down from £190 at Ellis Brigham. Also got my Sallopettes from there 2 seasons ago for £50 down from £195 I think :)

If you're lucky, they might still have some stuff in your size that is from last season and you'll get a bargain :)

Also could be worth having a look in Nevisport if there's one near to you.

Soldato
OP
I Like the look of this one:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=340703

Quite expensive but down from £400 looks like a good deal. Would be out of stock though wouldn't it :(.

I've heard some good things about Burton but all their jackets seem to have 112 pockets and come in outrageous colours!

I would have to try it on for that price though which is a shame as I live in the middle of nowhere!

edit:
This one loks good too.

Any makes I should avoid at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
i've got a waterproof helly hansen which is very good. got 50% off as it was from a previous season.
also have a brown cord oakley snowboarding one, which isn't waterproof, but i got that in the US and again it was on sale.

for just a jacket, £400 is more than enough. start at helly hansen though
burton are very good too

try some stuff on in the high street, and then buy it online as it's bound to be cheaper

http://www.blue-tomato.com
http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/

£400?! You're getting ripped off! Never spent over £100 on a jacket and they're always excellent.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
£400?! You're getting ripped off! Never spent over £100 on a jacket and they're always excellent.

i've never spent anywhere near that much!
the most i spent was €200 on my helly hansen, and that was 50% off as it was old stock, and it's a 2 in 1, and it was in norway.

£400 on a single (outer) jacket is obscene really :p

Soldato
Go to TK Maxx. Seriously.

Also if you're off skiing in the Alps, you won't really need a crazy-warm jacket. Back when I used to ski with family in Sweden and Norway, then you needed something which would keep you comfortable at -15C but still breathable. That was a challenge!

Caporegime
I Like the look of this one:
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=340703

Quite expensive but down from £400 looks like a good deal. Would be out of stock though wouldn't it :(.

I've heard some good things about Burton but all their jackets seem to have 112 pockets and come in outrageous colours!

I would have to try it on for that price though which is a shame as I live in the middle of nowhere!

edit:
This one loks good too.

Any makes I should avoid at all?

Arc'teryx are one of the top brands, very nce kit, just don't be suprised if there are loads of skiiers staring at you with envy in their faces.:p

I Have a Schoffel jacket and it's very well designed, it's the little things and details that really make it worth the hundred or so over the cheaper/generic Quicksilver/Animal etc. jackets, such as "windows in the hood, specific pockets for mp3 players, goggles and lift passes as well as balaclavas and draft "excluders" in the arms. However as it'll be a more general jacket I would suggest going for a more generic jacket without all the bells and whistles specifically for the piste.

Both those brands are pretty good, and tbh anything from Ellis Brigham is going to be ok depending on what you want it for. Bear in mind those jackets are all last years stock, if you want to wait a month or two this years stock will be in so you'll have a much bigger range to choose from, at the expense of discounts.

Also if you do decide on a jacket of £300 or so then if you're under 24 it may be worth your while signing up to the ski club of GB, you should be able to get 10% or so discount with your membership (which is only around £20). You also get loads of discounts from other outdoor shops. I normally save about £80 a year because of it.:D

Soldato
the most i spent was €200 on my helly hansen, and that was 50% off as it was old stock, and it's a 2 in 1, and it was in norway.

Ah sorry misread that completely :p My point still stands however, maybe I can see up to £200 being ok but seriously I have better things to put money towards, like the lift pass :p

Caporegime
Hello all.

As winter approaches I think it might be an idea for me to get a jacket. However, instead of just getting a normal jacket, I was thinking of spending a bit more money and getting a proper ski jacket, as hopefully I'll start going on a few skiing holidays when I get some money together.

What should I look for in such a jacket?
I've never bought a proper jacket before so I don't really know what I'm looking for, although I do have a few criteria:
-Will be used for both skiing and as a regular coat in this country
-Not black
-Not white
-Respectable looking, so no camouflage styles!

I don't really know what brands I should be looking at or where to buy from. I want it to be as cheap as possible, although I don't want to get cold so it has to be fairly decent! Definitely nothing over £400.

Thanks for any advice.

My advice as someone who moved to switzerland to ski, buy any Arcteryx gore-tex pro shell ski jacket within your budget.

However:
"Will be used for both skiing and as a regular coat in this country"

This is not a possibility. A ski jacket is a fucntional item that must be properly looked after. It is not a fashion item for everday use.

For skiing you absolutely want to buy a shell. Gore-tex 3-alyer pro shells are simply the best around, and no one makes a better jacket than Arcteryx. Even Mammut Extreme seems cheap and poor in comparison.

Caporegime
Go to TK Maxx. Seriously.

Also if you're off skiing in the Alps, you won't really need a crazy-warm jacket. Back when I used to ski with family in Sweden and Norway, then you needed something which would keep you comfortable at -15C but still breathable. That was a challenge!

Crud.

It completely depends on where and when you go. Temperatures of -15ºc to -20ºc are not unheard of in January at the top of Les Trois Vallees. The Alps can get perfectly cold in comparison to Norway.

Caporegime

400 is about right for a top end shell. Whether you need a top end shell may be the real question.

I certainly find a 400 jacket to be better value for money than a £200 jacket which is not up to the task and fails in critical situations.

Caporegime
Crud.

It completely depends on where and when you go. Temperatures of -15ºc to -20ºc are not unheard of in January at the top of Les Trois Vallees. The Alps can get perfectly cold in comparison to Norway.

Indeed. -20 is quite normal in the alps, add to the high winds, high humidity and snow and you will need something professional or you stay inside.

Give me a -30 in Norway under clear skies, no wind and low humidity over a -5 in Switzerland any day!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

"Will be used for both skiing and as a regular coat in this country"

This is not a possibility. A ski jacket is a fucntional item that must be properly looked after. It is not a fashion item for everday use.

How so? Surely when spending that much money on a jacket it should be useable in 'normal' conditions as well?

Man of Honour
personally I wouldn't wear my snowboarding gear in the UK, it gets enough of a beating in the season without everyday wear and I don't really do gore tex and baggy in London!

That said now's the time to buy there are bargains on 08 gear to be had

Back
Top Bottom