Skoda Superb...alternatives?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
mk2 Superbs usually suffer from all last generation TSI problems due to additional strain.

1.4TSI is rare in Superb but this engine was prone to cam chain failures across entire VAG range due to stretching and/or badly engineered tensioners. Additionally 160hp and higher versions also suffer from piston damage. Problems were wide enough for VW group to adopt cam belt instead of chain and artifically shortened "long term" servicing intervals in all re-engineered 1.4TSI engines after 2012.

1.8TSI before 2013 suffers en mass from cam chain tensioner failures as early as 30,000 miles, often leading to complete destruction of engine. Several recalls were made abroad between 2009 and 2012 to replace tensioners with new uprated version (06K 109 467 * tensioners replaced with 06H 109 467 * tensioners) but majority of affected engines with old type tensioner were not listed by European and especially British importers even if engine assembly contained flawed part. Recall by Skoda UK was limited only to cars that required additional camshaft replacement under Audi initiated service action 15d7 while requirements of VAG technical bulletin 2024485 with all sub sections were ignored.

Irregularities in long life oil supply causing piston wear are widely reported in 1.8 and 2.0TSI, this is usually indicated by elevated oil consumption between services. Audi engineering team provided a fix in 2010 but installation of the additional breather isn't actioned by Skoda UK until oil consumption levels reach 0.5l for 600 miles due to manufacturer indicating in user manual that consumption of anything up to 1l per 1000 miles is "normal". By that time damage caused to moving elements and piston rings is usually irreversible and requires £3000 engine rebuild using uprated parts but for majority of the affected users this falls outside of warranty.

In 2013 1.8TSI Engine was completely reengineered for Octavia 3 (180hp version), but Skoda UK does not import those models in UK (while still selling old 170hp version in other models).

Have a browse through community compiled list of 1.8TSI failures for examples of both above.

Well documented issues with early DSG 7 speed gearboxes due to insufficient rating of clutch elements, VAG group is also currently recalling 1.6 million DSG gearboxes because in hot conditions oil in sealed box sulphur-reacts with components causing their failure, however first indications suggest Skoda UK is not going to participate in recall because (my interpretation) in European atmospheric conditions such failures would once again fall outside of warranty. They might however be forced by VAG to offer it as a "customer satisfaction programme" to selected customers within certain criteria (complaining about DSG/with full main dealer service history) from 2014.

I type all of the above as an owner of 2010 Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI L&K with 80.000 miles on the clock that had two DSG gearboxes, two sets of clutches in second gearbox and currently after long battle with Skoda UK undertaking full engine rebuild due to oil/piston/piston rings damage AND timing chain tensioner failure week before the former fault was due to be fixed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Left field idea: Keep the Golf and get a roof rack/box for any long journeys that need more space then you have in the boot. My Golf is absolutely fine with a 7 year olf and a 10 year old for most tasks.

Caporegime
OP
We are now keeping the Golf because my dad has practically given us the S80, so even though we don't need to, we're going to run two cars.

We did consider the idea of going down the roof bar / box route, but we're quite a tall family and the little one's legs are impeded by the back of the seat in the Golf when she's in her child seat. Also it's much better being able to shove everything in the boot than sticking a roof box on I think.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
In case anyone's interested, I went through with the S80 purchase.

w5aez99.jpg

Two grey cars :/ :p

G3hb8UG.jpg

oI30J50.jpg

We're very pleased, especially for £3,400. Lots of car for the money, very comfortable. Not particularly class leading in any category, apart from maybe safety? But as a wafty commuter / family carrier, it's going to be great I think.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Very nice car for that sort of money :) Not sure i'd want the saloon as a family car though.

This is a point, and had it not been for my dad selling this to us for so little, we'd have gone for a V70 or a Superb estate.

I think with a young family (2 year old and one on the way), this should do for a good few years though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yeah it'll be fine, I didn't realise that it was a family deal. It just seemed an odd choice had it not been :)

Soldato
Are the older superbs ok? I'm in a similar sitation to the OP and need to get something bigger for the babies and double pram. The older Superbs (about 2003) look fairly big and are about 1500 pounds but I'm not sure about the 1.8T engine that might have a turbo bill at some point. The other cars I'm looking at are 2001ish V70s and Mondeos but I'm sick of looking at Mondeos, everyone in my family has one.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Are the older superbs ok? I'm in a similar sitation to the OP and need to get something bigger for the babies and double pram. The older Superbs (about 2003) look fairly big and are about 1500 pounds but I'm not sure about the 1.8T engine that might have a turbo bill at some point. The other cars I'm looking at are 2001ish V70s and Mondeos but I'm sick of looking at Mondeos, everyone in my family has one.

I wouldnt be too worried about turbo costs, the turbo's are shared across the VAG platforms so parts are a plenty and reasonably priced.

Associate
nothing wrong with the S80. I owned one in the same colour same engine but with black leather. Did the job for about 18 months. The boot is massive too. You wont find a comfier car, its truly magic carpet territory. Mine was completely reliable too. Only thing which annoyed was the stated mpg is 40 odd and i never got more than 33 during my ownership. scraped 40 on a run. old Audi 3.0 did better on fuel lol. Oh and the diesel wasnt particularly quiet, but hey; its not german money either.

Swopped it in the end as i just started hating on it given the image and boat handling.

Associate
honda CRV gives you decent space and reliability. 4WD when you need it, and 2WD when you are driving normally, so fuel bill isnt too bad. more importantly, the cargo space is not just long, but tall as well, so you can throw some pretty awkward shaped items in there.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;25465901 said:
What are those reflector lights doing on Volvo's top end luxury saloon!? Otherwise very nice.

I know :(. It's not got parking sensors either!!!

Swopped it in the end as i just started hating on it given the image and boat handling.

I can see that happening at some point, once the 'omg so comfortable' novelty wears off.

The boot is pretty big, but again not class-leading compared to the 5 series / A6 of the same era. But as you say, it's a lot cheaper than those, with rapid depreciation.

The boot does have a really handy flap that lifts up to provide a smaller section for shopping, which saves reaching right to the back of the boot to fetch bags that have slid there when braking.

Commuting has been a very relaxing experience, and the car as expected deals well with colder weather.

It's got heated seats, heated washer jets, a really good heater blower, and it clears the screens very quickly. It must use something other than engine temperature to clear the front screen, as the button made the fan go nuts and clear the windscreen very quickly. I don't think it's got quick clear or anything, so I reckon it's using some kind of electric heater.

Soldato
Some of the S80's don't have what you would think it should for a top spec model. Even though its based on the Mondeo it was marketed as an E class or 5 series alternative, which it really isn't. Some models have superb kit for the age though, like radar cruise, blind spot warning etc which for something so cheap isn't bad.

However, the build and materials are excellent. The ride is very good, and most models have decent enough kit.

Its not a great looker either, but as a practical, safe, cheap and reliable wagon, its a good car.

Edit: Its great in the snow too :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom