Skoda

Soldato
OP
Attacked my steering wheel this evening with a magic eraser. Reluctant to do it too often but to be honest it looked like it was just removing grease/dirt. Haven't captured it very well as i'm a bit of a DSLR novice :D

wheelxl.jpg

Off to have Cruise Control retro-fitted tomorrow. Also been talking to the company about having a trial APR map (6 hours of driving time). I did some reading up on APR and it seems there were various different sources complaning of checksum errors after mapping (one of which was actually ethos from this forum). I expressed my reservations to the company and they have assured me that the "rogue piece of code" created by a disgruntled ex-employee has now been rectified. Still not decided what i want to do yet though :D

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;23113257 said:
You think 70k is a NEGATIVE?! It's a £5k car, the fact its got 70k not 170k is surely a positive?

Looks very cheap to me, is that all they are worth? I'd have thought an 07 plate would be more especially on sub 100k.

It is very cheap, it has lots of options, full skoda history e.t.c. Worth at least 6k i would have thought.

Caporegime
I do a lot of searching to be fair mate, I'm good at finding good deals, generally ;)

It is in dorking, may go check it out at the weekend :)

Oh i did a lot of searching believe me. Just typical that one like that turns up where i work at such a bargain price :p

Mind you it is private, and ive already taken full advantage of buying trade. Brand new air con compressor fitted (circa £500+ job) under warranty + free tracking and laser alignment to fix a pull to the right the car had . The air con issue is a very common problem in these so look out for that. The valve in the compressor starts to sticks meaning it can take ages for the air con to start working.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cruise is now installed as is the APR trial map. Cruise is great, really does help with the MPGzzzzz!

The map is good, not great but can be improved I think. Problem is the trial map is generic, if I was to have a full one installed it would be tweaked to suit to car. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'bad', just needs some refinement, particularly when taking it steady at low speeds.

Overall though its :D all round, so much more useable power, can't wait to see what it's like on Stage 2, ill decide further into the trial whether I'm going APR or not!

Soldato
OP
Found a problem with my car today. Started it up and it was running like a bag of nails, panicked, phoned the company who installed the map and they said to bring it in, probably a boost leak. Thought I'd check so as not to look a prat when I arrived and to my surprise the Recirc valve had popped out :D

This also arrived today, not bought a gauge yet, still trying to decide which one to get, I want as OEM as can be (black face and green illumination, red needle if I'm being really picky :D)

D10BF157-16D5-4AE9-A371-583EA722E450-1357-000000D44375148B.jpg

Soldato
OEM FTW, looks a quality bit o' kit that.

Get that remap done mate :) I had an APR map on my Golf but it was only for 95 ron fuel so not quite as boosty as the 98 ron map but it was a nice smooth map... think I'd have something more agressive but I guess you do take a bit of driveability away on corners and so on if it comes in, in a big lump like Revo stuff etc.

Feels cool though :)

Soldato
OP
Still undecided on who to go with yet. The APR does initially put you back in your seat but then it becomes very linear through the rev range.

R-Tech seems like the best place to go if I want to get the most out of the supporting mods that I have, APR is convenient as they are only down the road.

Associate
That car I was going to look at a few posts above, sold on Saturday. Gutted as I couldn't view it until today :(

Back on the hunt for another vRS then!

Associate
Not surprised, that was an absolute steal! ( assuming nothing was wrong with it...)

Yep, real shame!

Jono - I'm using the following sites to find one:

- Autotrader
- Pistonheads
- Parkers
- Skoda Used (never any on there!)

Any others I should be looking at?

There's a few decent one's listed at the moment, but they're all up north!

Soldato
Still undecided on who to go with yet. The APR does initially put you back in your seat but then it becomes very linear through the rev range.

R-Tech seems like the best place to go if I want to get the most out of the supporting mods that I have, APR is convenient as they are only down the road.

What about Shark ? I thought they were the defacto skoda choice these days ?

Soldato
Sorry to barge into your thread, but the new Skoda Rapid, is it replacing the Octavia or is it more like a Jetta vs Passat thing? Saw the advert today and it looks Octavia sized but both are still on their website. Just curious what its point is?

Soldato
I had a little bit done there and he was a nice enough chap, spent reasonable time on the car etc. Was thorough with the "mechanical work" I was paying for.

But, they forgot to fit some plastic covers back onto car before I left and Nick took about 6 weeks to get it to me...

When I sold the car on the new owner lived near to r-tech and i was informed via a forum how rubbish it was and only put out 155BHP with an APR map... when the rolling road print out graph from r-tech when it had a checkup/time on rollers said otherwise! Which I uploaded to prove. Then was told "Oh it must have had old/leaking hoses" - I'd only had it all checked in full a couple of months prior by themselves!

He also didn't get my forge007p in stock in time for me so borrowed a "brand new one" from a car outside.

He might well know his stuff but I was a little disheartened overall.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had my Octy vRS remapped at Shark. 249 on the Dyno run - so close to the 250 :)
Car drives lovely, plenty of power throughout...but not so much the wheels are spinning every time you pull away. Cannot recommend them enough.

As for the Rapid. The Skoda line is all change at the moment.
You have:

Fabia - Still current
Rapid - Sits in size between the Fabia and the Current Mk2.5 Octavia
Octavia 3 - Slightly bigger than the current Mk2.5 Octavia
Superb - Passat sized

We should have already seen the Octavia 3, however VW wouldn't allow Skoda to display at Paris as they were too worried it might take the shine off the Golf 7.
You know....same parts, same options....but for a lot less money.

Soldato
I had a little bit done there and he was a nice enough chap, spent reasonable time on the car etc. Was thorough with the "mechanical work" I was paying for.

But, they forgot to fit some plastic covers back onto car before I left and Nick took about 6 weeks to get it to me...

When I sold the car on the new owner lived near to r-tech and i was informed via a forum how rubbish it was and only put out 155BHP with an APR map... when the rolling road print out graph from r-tech when it had a checkup/time on rollers said otherwise! Which I uploaded to prove. Then was told "Oh it must have had old/leaking hoses" - I'd only had it all checked in full a couple of months prior by themselves!

He also didn't get my forge007p in stock in time for me so borrowed a "brand new one" from a car outside.

He might well know his stuff but I was a little disheartened overall.

a friend of mine got his 1.8t a3 remapped there, a later AUM car.

he then took the car along to a clubgti rr day whose dyno dynamics rollers are the toughest tough lover rollers i know of. his rtech car turned up and made 210bhp and he does nothing bar the usual maintenance, which gave me confidence in them

Back
Top Bottom