Skull and bones

The Mrs and I tried the open beta for a few hours, but decided it is not for us. There's no real story as such, just picking up contracts from NPCs. As mentioned above, boarding consists of a brief cutscene rather than hand-to-hand combat. It seems you can only disembark from your ship in safe areas, so no exploring small islands etc on foot. Even plundering a settlement was carried out purely from the ship. Ship movement and combat was far less satisfying than in Black Flag or AC Odeyssey IMO.

Appreciate it's an open beta, but the release is only a week or so away and there are real problems with the sound. Your characters footsteps only come out of one channel, and the volume mix is all over the place. It runs smoothly though and the water and weather effects look great.

Glad we had a chance to at least try it out.

Last edited:
it looks kinda like the pirate mmo from around 2000s "voyage century online"

I mean graphically.. in that game you could explore on foot though and do combat on land against mobs and it's was free2play

Last edited:
Although they are different style of games I think Sea of Thieves is superior to it in pretty much every way really, but to be fair SoT has been out for a number of years and has been heavily refined.

The sailing and combat was good enough, the random singing from your crew raised a smile, but the other bits weren’t much cop. Certainly isn’t worth 50 quid (minimum).

The open beta played OK, but it doesn't feel like a AAAA quality game as they're trying to portray it. Maybe the cost is, but not the final product.

it looks kinda like the pirate mmo from around 2000s "voyage century online"

I mean graphically.. in that game you could explore on foot though and do combat on land against mobs and it's was free2play

You could in black flag aswell skull and bones is just the ship bit out of that game with a few mechanics thrown in and put on a live server then just chucked an overpriced price tag on it

It's even taken them over 10 years just to do that and for that this game really does deserve to fail

That's a one liner that typifies everything Ubisoft come out with in the modern era.
it's probably got that built in grind and daily quests.

does it have xbox boosts and other crap too? seems mandatory with any live service games, no doubt a battle pass will come.

Back
Top Bottom