1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Fibre Optic

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by robfosters, Apr 11, 2012.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

Who will be ordering this tomorrow?

If I can get it, I am seriously thinking about changing from VM to it. Too many drop outs with VM. £20 a month for 40MB is quite reasonable as well.

2. DJMK4

Capodecina

What are we looking at in terms of plans on any monthly transfer allocations, peak time and non-peak time plans, throttling and potential future changes to the plan and contract length?

3. robfosters

Caporegime

Details are sketchy, but it's certainly interesting for me as I have Sky TV. Would be nice to have TV, broadband and phone in one package.

4. enigma27

Wise Guy

none... Sky unlimited is truly unlimited and will be on Fibre too.

only downside is for the initial roll out speeds will only be upto 40meg down and 2 meg up unlike BT's 40/10

once the intial phase is done i imagine 40/10 will be implemented and potential 80/20 also.

5. KIA

Man of Honour

13th. :)

6. Rossi~

Capodecina

https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/

Indeed, was going to ring up today but will do tomorrow.
    Any idea whether they would customise connection speeds upon request? e.g. if i could get a 40/10 connection, whether they'd be able to increase the upload speed if i sacrifice download speed via a cap?

7. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

I think that is very unlikely. It would be nice if we could do this sort of thing but it's almost unheard of amongst consumer ISPs over here and I would imagine any that do it would be extremely small suppliers that would charge a premium. Not somebody like Sky.

8. shaffaaf27

Soldato

Thought it was meant to be today

9. KIA

Man of Honour

It was. I think they moved the date.

10. Goates

Hitman

Sneaky little change there. Really want to upgrade to this but for whatever reason our area hasn't had fibre installed yet and is not even on the list of areas for it to be installed.

11. Rossi~

Capodecina

That's a shame, NTL did it for me back in the day but nobody seems to do it these days.

12. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

I'll be upgrading our Sky BB to Fibre :) can't wait!

13. StonedPenguin

Mobster

Might leave VM for these if its in my area, Anyway of seeing if its available where you live?

14. Lighters

Wise Guy

argh! really interested to go with sky but I just cant justify the 2meg upload as it isnt fast enough however long I have to wait for the upgrade.

Anyone with sky comment on how good their service is for gamers? (Ping,reliability,packetloss, throttling during peak times)

I know they used to be extremely poor when they came out

15. FrenchTart

Man of Honour

If you're just worried about gaming then the 2mbit upload really will not matter to you. It is much more than sufficient for gaming.

Sky's LLU service has always been great. Their IPStream service has always been sub-par. This is true pretty much across the board - ping, jitter, download speeds, throttling.

I would expect their FTTC product to closely match their LLU product in those regards, but it it remains to be seen whether or not their network will be able to cope with the increased load (given that Easynet generally manage their network quite well though, I have high hopes).

16. Matteysan

Soldato

If you can get BT Infinity then you can get Sky Fibre afaik. You can check this here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

No date for my exchange to be upgraded still :( Yet one down the road has been enabled & it is primarily a VM area pffft :/

17. StonedPenguin

Mobster

Thanks Mattey, Mine doesnt say anything about BT fibre.. But it does say FTTC available in some areas :confused:

18. Rossi~

Capodecina

From what i can see, all Sky have said about speeds so far is 40Mb download. 2Mb upload just happens to be the speed that the trials are on at the moment. Unless someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm on Sky ADSL2+ 16mb down, 0.65 up. Gaming is brilliant, low pings (25-50) in the UK. Fibre will be great.

19. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

I currently sync at about 6000/700, so going to 2mb up will be a good improvement to me :)

20. Lighters

Wise Guy

Sorry I should have slipped streaming into there :) hence why 2meg isnt fast enough :p

Edit - thinking about talktalk
    £114 line rental
    £22.25 6month then 29.50 for remaining