Sky glass

Associate
Who’s actually making the TV, panel etc? It’s quantum dot which is Samsung’s tech. Are they behind this?

Looks a lot like a TCL TV with the integrated sound bar wonder if it is them?

So… you’re getting a Glorified NOWTV app on a tv……… I’m sorry what am I missing here?

Fundamentally that was all the Q box was doing anyway, all the high quality 4k content downloaded from the internet rather than using the satellite.

I much prefer having recording centrally. Far better solution fir my needs. I would say the Sky Q architecture is worlds ahead of Sky+

Central was good because you could pick up in another room, unfortunately because the minis were absolute rubbish anything that you recorded in UHD, which was most things for me could not be played back anywhere but on main box an absolutely terrible UX fail from Sky.

I imagine this will just end up as an app on most highend TVs in the future an it will be better for it, Sky was a terrible thing on the networking side of things trying to own and route all traffic through itself etc, once I pulled it off into its own LAN my overall network performance improved dramatically.

V F

V F

Soldato
When I had Sky many years about I had the same in very heavy rain, my mum still sees it every now an then.

Then it would screw with your recordings.:cry:

The worst times I remember during some winters when it was slushy snow, it would cling to the dish and block the signal. Had to use an extendable window brush to clear the snow off the dish to get the picture back. I remember doing that multiple times in a night.

Soldato
Then it would screw with your recordings.:cry:

The worst times I remember during some winters when it was slushy snow, it would cling to the dish and block the signal. Had to use an extendable window brush to clear the snow off the dish to get the picture back. I remember doing that multiple times in a night.

Lol I think it was well before recording, probably the late 90's. That must have been annoying, that's one thing I think about when people speak about satellite broadband, can't beat being hardwired ;)

V F

V F

Soldato
Lol I think it was well before recording, probably the late 90's. That must have been annoying, that's one thing I think about when people speak about satellite broadband, can't beat being hardwired ;)

Oh Sky through most of the 90s was hellish. You could sneeze and the picture looked like the VHS/snow screens or the diagonal lines. It was very finicky. Or a stations signal was slightly out. I remember many issues with Panasonic/Amstrad boxes that looked like VCR boxes. Plus static issues on the viewing cards.

Satellite broadband must have been hell. Plus the delays.

Soldato
What were Sky smoking when they came up with this product?

I'd like to get rid of the dish on the back of the house but not to the extent that I'll bin off a perfectly good OLED TV. I don't want an all in one thing, give me a set top box that connects to my existing TV and to the internet and I'll upgrade ASAP. This though? Hell no.

As for 'Cloud' recordings, that's a fairly awful decision. I've got stuff on my Q box that's about 18 months old and from what I've read the cloud recordings are only available for 12 months. I'm luck enough to have great internet access (FTTP) but would rather have my recordings locally than out there on the internet.

Associate
The dish falls apart when you get torrential rain. The skies are so dark grey the picture starts breaking up leading to loss of signal.

Yes this does happen but only in extreme conditions. I’ve definitely had more internet blackouts then I’ve had the sky dish cause problems.

I like the idea and it definitely serves a need but having to get a tv with it is just stupid. You don’t need a fancy tv when you take normal sky and you shouldn’t need it to get sky glass.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes this does happen but only in extreme conditions. I’ve definitely had more internet blackouts then I’ve had the sky dish cause problems.

I like the idea and it definitely serves a need but having to get a tv with it is just stupid. You don’t need a fancy tv when you take normal sky and you shouldn’t need it to get sky glass.

There is nothing worse than an iMac TV. I've never liked these all in one units.

Soldato
I think the bigger picture here ( pardon the pun ) is Sky now doing down your internet line and not over the air .

I.e no dish and no downscaled HD or 4K - this has been skys biggest con .

Either way when my contact is up I’m not renewing.

V F

V F

Soldato
I think the bigger picture here ( pardon the pun ) is Sky now doing down your internet line and not over the air .

Either way when my contact is up I’m not renewing.

Practically what Virgin does once more people get fiber to the home for Sky customers.

Your phone, tv and Internet all through the same line.

Associate

I think that's very optimistic, I bet they'll compress the hell out of the IP TV to to save bandwidth.

Man of Honour
The other problem to streaming Sky instead of a dish is giving up to 10Mbs of bandwidth to watch TV. Which in my case would only leave 20Mbs for everything else in the house. Not great if someone is watching TV and someone else is watching Netflix.

At least with VM you don't loose any internet bandwidth even though the TV and phone are from the same connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
The other problem to streaming Sky instead of a dish is giving up to 10Mbs of bandwidth to watch TV. Which in my case would only leave 20Mbs for everything else in the house. Not great if someone is watching TV and someone else is watching Netflix.

At least with VM you don't loose any internet bandwidth even though the TV and phone are from the same connection.
Surely you still have the same issue with VM in terms of contention on the bandwidth?

Sky isn't magically reserving 10Mb no matter what - it'll just stream and use the available bandwidth - just like any other package, surely?

Man of Honour
Although there is a single connection to the property, they split it and between TV, phone and broadband. So any bandwidth the TV uses doesn't take any of your internet bandwidth. So if you pay for 100Mbs internet, that's the speed you get. It doesn't use 10Mbs of your 100 for the TV and leave you with 90Mbs for internet.

Sky quote that Sky Glass requires up to 10Mbs, which would take a third of the bandwidth my Sky Broadband connection currently has.

Last edited:
Soldato
Although there is a single connection to the property, they split it and between TV, phone and broadband. So any bandwidth the TV uses doesn't take any of your internet bandwidth. So if you pay for 100Mbs internet, that's the speed you get. It doesn't use 10Mbs of your 100 for the TV and leave you with 90Mbs for internet.

Sky quote that Sky Glass requires up to 10Mbs, which would take a third of the bandwidth my Sky Broadband connection currently has.
Ahh I see, wasn't aware of that. In which case yeah, another hit and a miss for Sky on that front.

Soldato
VM is still broadcast, not IPTV. It's DVB-C still I thought. I assume Sky are going for multicast iptv here like BT, need much much more bandwidth for a good 4k image though.

Man of Honour
Well yeah, but if that was a real concern, you'd just stick with SkyQ

I think Sky's long term goal is get rid of satellite dishes altogether and no longer need engineer installation. Sky Q would be phased out and not be an option.

There already there with the internet and phone if you have BT or Open Reach landline at your property.

Back
Top Bottom