Sky Go

Associate
Hi

I have Skygo on my Iphone4, but I wanted to stream this to my TV.

Now, I went out and bought a £35 quid cable with an HDMI socket on the end, but when I plug it in I get a skygo message saying its not allowed.

I have now jailbroken my iphone, and when I plug it in ive got sound but no picture.

Does anyone know a way around this, is it possible to use my laptop to plug into the tv somehow?

I dont have an xbox, only ps3.

Thanks

Associate
Sky Go should work from your laptop to your TV but it depends on your laptops video outputs. Most have VGA (blue multi-pin connector) but this will only output video. The sound will still come from the laptop speakers. Newer ones have HDMI which will output sound and video.

Im not 100% sure about SkyGo for iPhone however.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the swift reply, my current notebook only has a blue VGA out, would I get a VGA-HDMI cable and plug it into my PC, and it would just work?

Thanks

Sam

Associate
Thanks for the swift reply, my current notebook only has a blue VGA out, would I get a VGA-HDMI cable and plug it into my PC, and it would just work?

Thanks

Sam

VGA is video output only I believe, so you'd need to connect your laptop to your TV using a audio output jack. A VGA to HDMI converter won't give you sound, it just changes the interface to transfer the video only via HDMI.

Soldato
Have you tried an app called TV Out? It's what i used before with Sky Mobile TV and worked perfectly for video and audio.

I use Display Out from Cydia on my Jailbroken iPad with Sky Go, works perfectly.

AFAIK jailbreak + a "Display Out" type app (there are several that do the same job) is the only way of doing it.

Just beware it doesn't look that good when outputted to a larger HDTV as it's not scaling to TV res, but it's more than watchable. Also you may find you need to maximise the app on the iDevice, otherwise on the TV it looks squashed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you very much I have done this and its excellent, well worth the £35.00 adapter I paid :)

One last question, would the picture quality increase if i was streaming it from a larger source such as an Ipad or Laptop?

TBH the picture quality is fine even from a iphone, but I just wondered how it works :)

Thanks

Associate
Picture quality on sky go mainly depends on the bandwith you have available on your internet connection.

You can force it to use 'High' quality in the settings on the player though. I used to hook it up to the TV from my laptop, and the laptop res was 1920x1080 so it looked great on the TV. Not sure about iPhone/iPad though.

Associate
It does certainly look better as I also used to watch it on my MacBook Pro and connected that via HDMI to my 32 inch Samsung TV. The best quality I've got though was via my Xbox 360 but I'm not doing that anymore as I cba to pay another £6-8 a month for XBL Gold as well!

I've just bought an iPad 2 and I'm waiting until January so I can switch my Sky Go device from my desktop PC to the iPad. I'll then see how it looks via my HDMI adapter.

Soldato
Registered my iPad 2 to my mates SKY account, got the SKY Go app running sweet but if I try AirPlay via my ATV2 I get 'doesn't support hdmi output' error. Is the only way round to wait for the iOS 5 jailbreak and use displayout?

Associate
It appears now sky have enabled some protection that stops skygo working on jailbroken devices, same also with the newly supported android devices.
:mad:

Associate
OP
Yes you are right, ventured back here because i want to watch the CFC game tonight but i get an error.

Anyone know how to get around this? I want to stream to my TV so I need to be JB!

Associate
I pay £80 a month to Sky and cannot for the life of me see what having a JB iPad has to do with them !! Very annoyed is an understatement.

Soldato
I pay £80 a month to Sky and cannot for the life of me see what having a JB iPad has to do with them !! Very annoyed is an understatement.

Works fine on my unbroken iPad2. I cannot understand the need to JB the iPad when you can use AirVideo Server to stream everything from a Mac to iPad and mirror to ATV2. I can play all flash content etc. etc. as it converts on the fly. Now Netflix etc. is also on ATV2 compromising the iPad is a non starter for me.

Associate
Works fine on my unbroken iPad2. I cannot understand the need to JB the iPad when you can use AirVideo Server to stream everything from a Mac to iPad and mirror to ATV2. I can play all flash content etc. etc. as it converts on the fly. Now Netflix etc. is also on ATV2 compromising the iPad is a non starter for me.

The main reason I JB my ipad is because I can tether it to my Blackberry now and use its data plan and very soon be able to bluetooth photos etc between them. Both if these I feel should be factory default on a ipad.

Soldato
Brilliant, didn't realise he had to add support for each one, thought it would be a blanket app that worked across all though really didn't look into it (apart from click on the app to see what it was about)

Hopefully a solution comes about from it though :)

Back
Top Bottom