SKY internet dropouts

Soldato
OP
Top man! And you KNOW it’s a solid connection.

cheers. Yeah, it was worth it now it’s done.

Tomorrow I’m going to to look out my switch, then connect it to the Ethernet cable, and split it between the Xbox, tv and sky mini box.

all I need now is sky to actually show up and sort this little niggle then were golden!

Soldato
OP
Yes - they subscribe to the OFCOM automatic compensation scheme, so if they admit they didn’t attend, you are entitled to automatic compensation within 30 days.

cheers for that.

had a text from sky, rescheduled engineer from next Tuesday to the 27th of February :eek: :mad:

do I have to wait till then and make do with my broadband issues till then? Or do I have grounds to change my services to the likes of BT?

Soldato
cheers for that.

had a text from sky, rescheduled engineer from next Tuesday to the 27th of February :eek: :mad:

do I have to wait till then and make do with my broadband issues till then? Or do I have grounds to change my services to the likes of BT?

You are expected to give the provider a reasonable opportunity to resolve the fault, given we’re in a national lockdown and facing increased risk of infection with death tolls increasing significantly week on week, OR have chosen to suspend new installs requiring access to the property and are covering emergency faults only from what I can tell, migrations should be unaffected, but faults are. Your connection dropping occasionally - while certainly annoying for you - is pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. Also consider switching takes 14 days minimum and may not resolve the issue, which then leaves you having to book another fault for OpenReach to attend even later on.

In the meantime have you looked at the logs on the router to see what it says? It may provide a clue that could help resolve this quickly and easily. I’d also be tempted to try the test socket (if fitted) to remove any chance it’s wiring within the property.

Soldato
OP
You are expected to give the provider a reasonable opportunity to resolve the fault, given we’re in a national lockdown and facing increased risk of infection with death tolls increasing significantly week on week, OR have chosen to suspend new installs requiring access to the property and are covering emergency faults only from what I can tell, migrations should be unaffected, but faults are. Your connection dropping occasionally - while certainly annoying for you - is pretty minor in the overall scheme of things. Also consider switching takes 14 days minimum and may not resolve the issue, which then leaves you having to book another fault for OpenReach to attend even later on.

In the meantime have you looked at the logs on the router to see what it says? It may provide a clue that could help resolve this quickly and easily. I’d also be tempted to try the test socket (if fitted) to remove any chance it’s wiring within the property.

that is some fair points, how would I check the sky router for the logs? I only have access to an iPad, no windows based computer.

Soldato
OP
With regards to setting up my LAN for the tv, mini box and series x, I’m guessing it won’t impact my speeds much for the Xbox..?

cause if it will, I will leave the Ethernet connected solely to the Xbox.

Soldato
You should cable everything you can. Leave wireless for portable devices or where there's no option.

The only thing that would affect the speeds for your Xbox is other devices using the WAN connection. For that it wouldn't matter whether they're wired or wireless, they're still using bandwidth.

Soldato
OP
You should cable everything you can. Leave wireless for portable devices or where there's no option.

The only thing that would affect the speeds for your Xbox is other devices using the WAN connection. For that it wouldn't matter whether they're wired or wireless, they're still using bandwidth.

ok, thanks.

when I use my Xbox the sky box is off anyway, and vice versa. So should be ok.

Soldato
OP
I don’t understand this..I have hardwired the Xbox, tv and sky Q mini box..

booted up the Xbox, done a connection test, that was fine, then done a speed test, the latency, download and upload, all fine..

had a 6-7gb update for AC Valhalla, the most part it was downloading well, but a few times, the download speed indicator dropped to nothing (eg. Disappeared).

I checked the router at this point and all lights were green, then checked the router uptime and that had not disconnected. :confused:

is this normal behaviour? I mean with the downloading on Xbox?

Soldato
So for whatever reason, the other end was unable to send data, that doesn’t sound like a line fault, when patches come out (as this one has), servers take a battering.

Soldato
OP
So for whatever reason, the other end was unable to send data, that doesn’t sound like a line fault, when patches come out (as this one has), servers take a battering.

yeah, surely if a line fault the router would be saying so, with orange lights, or downtime in the router stats etc..?

Soldato
OP
I am having the exact same issue with mine, I'm now on my third sky router and still having issues. Will be calling again on Monday. Its infuriating

yeah, something strange..I have not noticed the drop outs in a little while, keep checking the router on the 192.168.0.1 and haven’t dropped the connection in around 300~ hours :eek:

still got my slot booked for sky but will wait and see how I get on between now and the appointment date (end of feb.).

Associate
yeah, something strange..I have not noticed the drop outs in a little while, keep checking the router on the 192.168.0.1 and haven’t dropped the connection in around 300~ hours :eek:

still got my slot booked for sky but will wait and see how I get on between now and the appointment date (end of feb.).
I've turned off the wifi and it seems to have resolved all of my issues with it

Soldato
I found the Q router awful for holding line sync. When I was on BT with a HH5A + HG612, my line was rock solid and would frequently hold sync for months. Switched to Sky and well the Q router was just rubbish, the longest it ever held sync was about 2 weeks and would frequently just drop the connection.

Went back to my hg612 and hh5 (flashed with openwrt so can use it wherever) to test and back to being rock solid, current uptime with hg612 is 56days. Don't know if mine was faulty or if all the Q hubs are just awful, but mine was horrible. Service is fine, Q hub rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom