*** Sky Q Thread ***

Man of Honour
Anyone on here managed to upgrade to the latest Sky Q box? I cant find anywhere to apply for the updated box and my 32BO doesn't support HDR.
Yeah, but you’ll have to pay £50 for the privilege. For a rented box lol.

Or just lie and tell them yours isn’t working and they’ll replace it for free.

Soldato
Yeah, but you’ll have to pay £50 for the privilege. For a rented box lol.

Or just lie and tell them yours isn’t working and they’ll replace it for free.

Yeah I'm happy to pay, just find the link to pay anywhere. There nothing in the shop in my account on the box where they say it is.

Soldato
I'm leaving SKY next week because I am refusing to pay for HD channels that aren't even good HD. Also I hate their varying renegotiation costs form customer to customer. I've seen people pay more for Sky Signature but then pay very little for HD and UHD and yet others like me can pay a lower fee for Sky Signature but then pay full for HD and UHD. They really need a set price for new customers and existing and keep it all fair. That and also actually provide proper HD and UHD.

Soldato
proper HD and UHD.

I know what you mean, but I suppose the question is; What is "proper" HD and UHD? If you mean uncompressed, then I doubt that'll ever happen.

Some channels differ, I still think Channel 4 have the worst HD quality out of all the ones I watch. F1 UHD annoys me, it looks a lot better but the main feed isn't brilliant but the overlay is incredibly sharp lol.

Soldato
What happened to getting Sky Q through your broadband connection as opposed to dish?

I was wondering that, too. I've got rather nice FTTP so would rather have my Sky delivered down that and then be able to get rid of the dish on the back of the house.

Slowly happening via on demand services but Sky have spent billions of pounds sending up satellites, they're not going to just drop it and lose a chunk of customers (like myself) who have poor internet connections.

Soldato
Don't sky just rent transponders?

IIRC Sky went in on Asta satellites when they went up late 90's/early 2000s for the their digital service as part investment part rental with likely a long contract.

Very likely they'll wait for both satellite contacts to expire and average broadband speeds to increase further.

Soldato
Slowly happening via on demand services but Sky have spent billions of pounds sending up satellites, they're not going to just drop it and lose a chunk of customers (like myself) who have poor internet connections.

They won't lose customers, the plan wasn't to add an additional access path whilst leaving the satellite access in place.

Soldato
I know what you mean, but I suppose the question is; What is "proper" HD and UHD? If you mean uncompressed, then I doubt that'll ever happen.

Some channels differ, I still think Channel 4 have the worst HD quality out of all the ones I watch. F1 UHD annoys me, it looks a lot better but the main feed isn't brilliant but the overlay is incredibly sharp lol.

well for one, I have been testing and planning my SKY exit with firestick and other devices and although can't be talked about on here all I can say is over the internet it is ultimately better quality HD (cant vouch for UHD as not got a 4k tv)

Soldato

I notice quite a bit in compression artifacts with the IPlayer UHD material around movement in the scene :(

Man of Honour
I notice quite a bit in compression artifacts with the IPlayer UHD material around movement in the scene :(
I've noticed this occasionally, I've put it down to the wifi on my TV probably not able to keep up with the bitrate as my AP is upstairs. It'll be cabled up in the new house so will be interesting to see if it cures it.

It's frustrating that iPlayer on Apple TV as an example currently doesn't do 4k HLG.

Soldato
I've noticed this occasionally, I've put it down to the wifi on my TV probably not able to keep up with the bitrate as my AP is upstairs. It'll be cabled up in the new house so will be interesting to see if it cures it.

It's frustrating that iPlayer on Apple TV as an example currently doesn't do 4k HLG.
This is on 150mb internet... :(

Back
Top Bottom