*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Just had my install completed by two friendly and competent installers. I was their second ever install, so wasn't sure how long it would take; in the end it was just over an hour in total.

They replaced my dish as it was a little corroded, got the new boxen installed and set up without much hassle. Seems they're a little flaky on getting connected to the hub at first, but once connected they seem to be working well. The new remotes will take a little getting used to, especially the bluetooth one; the swipe pad in particular is a little temperamental. Will also take a bit of getting used to the new menu layout.

Boxes are very compact compared to the old HD ones, menus and interfaces are as responsive as you'd expect for a new product.

V F

V F

Soldato
Boxes are very compact compared to the old HD ones, menus and interfaces are as responsive as you'd expect for a new product.

Can't say I've had issues with my current boxes even the one that is at least from 2011 or 12. Still very responsive to this day, the basic DRX890 and can even go months without a reboot.

Don
Their "advertised" prices are a load of ****, "free" hardware but a £350 upfront software cost ON TOP of the increased monthly fee:

e7dm6a.jpg

Sod off!

Caporegime
Existing customers with Sky Broadband. Sky Q will only be installed when there's an active broadband service so if you've moved home at short notice for example and your broadband needs an Openreach engineer to install a line you won't have Q installed(and subsequently no TV if you don't have a freeview aerial) until the broadband goes active.

Soldato
Just had my install completed by two friendly and competent installers. I was their second ever install, so wasn't sure how long it would take; in the end it was just over an hour in total.

They replaced my dish as it was a little corroded, got the new boxen installed and set up without much hassle. Seems they're a little flaky on getting connected to the hub at first, but once connected they seem to be working well. The new remotes will take a little getting used to, especially the bluetooth one; the swipe pad in particular is a little temperamental. Will also take a bit of getting used to the new menu layout.

If i read your post correctly, you are an existing customer ?

V F

V F

Soldato
With Sky Q and the master box breaks down, how quick will an installer be out with a new box? Versus having multiple boxes that you can fall back on to still view and record.

smr

smr

Soldato
I had Sky multiroom installed last night - I wasn't aware that the box would be non recordable! Luckily I have a spare Sky+HD box from someone and I was able to use that instead - and the engineer routed a shotgun cable from the new dish - we also had to have a new dish installed as he wasn't prepared to go up on our roof which is made up of swithland slate. So we've got two dishes and sky multiroom - after getting a 10 percent discount on sky I've worked it out to £2 per week. Much cheaper than going for Sky Q and we get Sky Go+ for free! The small non recordable multiroom box is also mine to keep so the engineer said.

Associate
Can't say I've had issues with my current boxes even the one that is at least from 2011 or 12. Still very responsive to this day, the basic DRX890 and can even go months without a reboot.
Yeah, there was nothing major with the old boxes. I would get the occasional keypress buffering but they worked reasonably well. The new interface on SkyQ is a lot shinier, but still feels responsive. I was concerned that they'd cheap out on the hardware but it doesn't seem to be the case.

If i read your post correctly, you are an existing customer ?
Yes. Managed to sign up before the online ordering system fell over, so got one of the first customer installs.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah, there was nothing major with the old boxes. I would get the occasional keypress buffering but they worked reasonably well. The new interface on SkyQ is a lot shinier, but still feels responsive. I was concerned that they'd cheap out on the hardware but it doesn't seem to be the case.

How does SD content look on it with an LCD? Same as the previous boxes?...

Soldato
£149 one off fee is a bit off putting, anything had any luck getting this reduced? Via phone or live chat?

I've always wanted to be able to view recordings in other rooms. Can you have multiple Q boxes? And each box can see recrdings on other boxes?

Soldato
£149 one off fee is a bit off putting, anything had any luck getting this reduced? Via phone or live chat?

I've always wanted to be able to view recordings in other rooms. Can you have multiple Q boxes? And each box can see recrdings on other boxes?

You get one extra Q box free so two boxes for that figure above if you want 2+ you have to pay extra.

Soldato

New and existing customers can order ??? ie pictures above.

From £54. What a load of rubbish

The hidden bit

18 month minimum subscription for your Sky Q package: Sky Q - £42-£54 per month (pm). Sky Movies (£17pm extra), Sky Sports (£25.50pm extra), Sky Broadband Unlimited (£10pm), Sky Fibre/Unlimited (£10/£20pm), Sky Talk (from £0pm), Line Rental (£17.40pm). Smart features fee: £249 for recording and related features with Sky Q or £299 with Sky Q Silver. Discounted to £99 if you already have Sky Broadband, Sky Movies or Sky Sports. or if you add Sky Movies or Sky Sports at their standard price, or if you add and agree to a new 18 month minimum subscriptions for Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Fibre/Unlimited plus Sky Talk & Line Rental at their standard price. One discount per household and not available in conjunction with other offers. Discount not available to existing Sky TV customers with HD or Multiscreen subscription upgrading to Sky Q - call 0808 160 1374 for more information on this upgrade path.

Additional TV screen fee: £99 to access live, recorded or downloaded content on another TV using an extra Sky Q Mini box.

Set-up: Engineer set-up required. Standard set-up £0 for new Sky TV customers, otherwise £50. Non-standard set-up may cost extra.

Smart connectivity fee: £49 for enhanced in-home connectivity when using the Sky Q Hub with Sky Q boxes.

Features require Sky Q box, subscription, app and compatible tablet (sky.com/skyqdevices) or Sky Q Mini connected to home broadband. Sky Q Silver box and subscription and Sky Q Mini required to watch on another TV screen. For optimal network performance we recommended that the main Sky Q connects to no more than four Sky Q Mini boxes. Content from up to two Sky Q Mini boxes can be watched concurrently. In home: watch recordings included in your Sky Q channel pack and most free to air channels. See sky.com/skyqchannels for more information. Red Button and BBC on demand content unavailable via Sky Q App. Out of home: Save selected recordings from last 90 days from the main Sky Q box or download on demand programmes to compatible tablet connected to home broadband. Finished recordings may be unavailable to sync for up to a few hours. Two syncs/downloads per programme. Content deleted from device 48 hours after viewing starts or no later than 30 days after sync/download. Sky Q: 700GB personal storage. Sky Q Silver: 1.7TB personal storage . 300GB storage reserved by Sky. On Demand: Min. recommended broadband speed, SD: 2 Mbps & HD: 6 Mbps. Downloads count toward usage cap. Downloads may expire from planner. Selected channels/programmes on catch up. Selection of series available with Sky Box Sets & varies each month. Sky Sports 1&2 required for Sky Sports. Sky Store costs extra. 3D requires activation.

General: Content depends on your Sky TV subscription and picture quality on device may vary. Sky Q kit loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at end relevant subscription. Content depends on subscription. Connect to TV using HDMI cable (supplied) or AV cable (not supplied). You own the Sky dish. Ultra-HD and 3D require compatible TV. If you live in a flat, installation of our shared dish is subject to survey and your Managing Agent's agreement. Email address required so we can keep in touch about your services. Third party apps: Experience may differ from the same app on other devices. Further terms and charges may apply.

Last edited:
Soldato
New and existing customers can order ??? ie pictures above.

From £54. What a load of rubbish

The hidden bit

18 month minimum subscription for your Sky Q package: Sky Q - £42-£54 per month (pm). Sky Movies (£17pm extra), Sky Sports (£25.50pm extra), Sky Broadband Unlimited (£10pm), Sky Fibre/Unlimited (£10/£20pm), Sky Talk (from £0pm), Line Rental (£17.40pm). Smart features fee: £249 for recording and related features with Sky Q or £299 with Sky Q Silver. Discounted to £99 if you already have Sky Broadband, Sky Movies or Sky Sports. or if you add Sky Movies or Sky Sports at their standard price, or if you add and agree to a new 18 month minimum subscriptions for Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Fibre/Unlimited plus Sky Talk & Line Rental at their standard price. One discount per household and not available in conjunction with other offers. Discount not available to existing Sky TV customers with HD or Multiscreen subscription upgrading to Sky Q - call 0808 160 1374 for more information on this upgrade path.

Additional TV screen fee: £99 to access live, recorded or downloaded content on another TV using an extra Sky Q Mini box.

Set-up: Engineer set-up required. Standard set-up £0 for new Sky TV customers, otherwise £50. Non-standard set-up may cost extra.

Smart connectivity fee: £49 for enhanced in-home connectivity when using the Sky Q Hub with Sky Q boxes.

Features require Sky Q box, subscription, app and compatible tablet (sky.com/skyqdevices) or Sky Q Mini connected to home broadband. Sky Q Silver box and subscription and Sky Q Mini required to watch on another TV screen. For optimal network performance we recommended that the main Sky Q connects to no more than four Sky Q Mini boxes. Content from up to two Sky Q Mini boxes can be watched concurrently. In home: watch recordings included in your Sky Q channel pack and most free to air channels. See sky.com/skyqchannels for more information. Red Button and BBC on demand content unavailable via Sky Q App. Out of home: Save selected recordings from last 90 days from the main Sky Q box or download on demand programmes to compatible tablet connected to home broadband. Finished recordings may be unavailable to sync for up to a few hours. Two syncs/downloads per programme. Content deleted from device 48 hours after viewing starts or no later than 30 days after sync/download. Sky Q: 700GB personal storage. Sky Q Silver: 1.7TB personal storage . 300GB storage reserved by Sky. On Demand: Min. recommended broadband speed, SD: 2 Mbps & HD: 6 Mbps. Downloads count toward usage cap. Downloads may expire from planner. Selected channels/programmes on catch up. Selection of series available with Sky Box Sets & varies each month. Sky Sports 1&2 required for Sky Sports. Sky Store costs extra. 3D requires activation.

General: Content depends on your Sky TV subscription and picture quality on device may vary. Sky Q kit loaned to you at no cost and must be returned at end relevant subscription. Content depends on subscription. Connect to TV using HDMI cable (supplied) or AV cable (not supplied). You own the Sky dish. Ultra-HD and 3D require compatible TV. If you live in a flat, installation of our shared dish is subject to survey and your Managing Agent's agreement. Email address required so we can keep in touch about your services. Third party apps: Experience may differ from the same app on other devices. Further terms and charges may apply.

:eek: They can ram it...

Back
Top Bottom