*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
1080i I think, though with the dodgy bitrates and overall amount of care given you'd be forgiven for thinking you're watching it on DVD half the time. Then there's the HD channels that still broadcast in stereo...

Caporegime
But you can get 1920x1080? Interlaced mind you.

The issue is that a 1080p picture will require twice the bandwidth for only a slight improvement in picture quality. That and the 'HD Ready' standard that older TV's used (and no doubt thousands of people still use) didn't include 1080p, only 720p and 1080i.

Associate
How is it doing record 4 watch 1 from two LNB inputs? It can't assume your choice of 5 is only split across two bands/polarizations.
...it wont, it will download from internet in the background to the box

EDIT a pre req will be sky fibre to achieve this

It uses Channel stacking tech. You will need a new LNB together with the rest of the system. The LNB dynamically tunes any transponder from VL, HL, VH or HH to a discrete output channel. There are multiple channels which all coexist on a single cable. So instead of sending a whole band down the cable and then the STB tuning to the required transponder from it, the STB requests only the transponders it wants from the LNB at a set channel frequency. Its very common tech used by the US broadcasters, Sky is just playing catch up.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I didn't get in yet sadly. The trial was quite limited, at most a few dozen boxes. I'm hoping the trial starts to ramp up now and I certainly hope to get on it.

Nothing confirmed regarding 4k content as yet but the current rumour is in time for the Premier League kick off next August. I'm not even sure if it'll be a Movies channel and a Sports channel or what!

Think you might be a bit late, can't say why though ;)

Soldato
Can`t believe we as customers cannot get even 1920 x 1080 on Sky T.V , we pay enough for the service , has to be a reason why ?

Its embarrassing compared to the rest of the world where they have better quality channels and pay less....if at all. Many people fork out silly amounts of money to a TV UK company who are playing catch up with the rest of the world.

This is one of the reason why I stopped paying for Sky years ago. Are Sky still charging extra for HD channels on a single box?

Associate
Its embarrassing compared to the rest of the world where they have better quality channels and pay less....if at all. Many people fork out silly amounts of money to a TV UK company who are playing catch up with the rest of the world.

This is one of the reason why I stopped paying for Sky years ago. Are Sky still charging extra for HD channels on a single box?

I agree

But it comes down to the same story with other high priced companies while people keep paying it then they will keep milking it.

Soldato

I'm almost certain that the USA still transmit 90% of their chanels in 720p

Soldato
It uses Channel stacking tech. You will need a new LNB together with the rest of the system. The LNB dynamically tunes any transponder from VL, HL, VH or HH to a discrete output channel. There are multiple channels which all coexist on a single cable. So instead of sending a whole band down the cable and then the STB tuning to the required transponder from it, the STB requests only the transponders it wants from the LNB at a set channel frequency. Its very common tech used by the US broadcasters, Sky is just playing catch up.

Sorry for taking the thread of topic slightly but are they SCD (Single Cable Distribution) LNB's? Is there a limit to the number of tuners you can attach to a SCD LNB?
And i'm assuming the second F-socket on Sky Q box would be a 'thru' connection to feed other boxes if need be?

Soldato
1080i I think, though with the dodgy bitrates and overall amount of care given you'd be forgiven for thinking you're watching it on DVD half the time.

I think this now and again but then I flick over to a non-HD channel and watch something and it really makes you realise how much difference there really is!

Any time you want to feel good about Sky's HD quality - wait until there is some football on ITV and flick between HD and non-HD!

V F

V F

Soldato
I think this now and again but then I flick over to a non-HD channel and watch something and it really makes you realise how much difference there really is!

Any time you want to feel good about Sky's HD quality - wait until there is some football on ITV and flick between HD and non-HD!

Watch a good DVD and flick back to Sky's SD.

Caporegime
Where have you seen that sky will be transmitting in 1080p and 4K, all they have said is the boxes are capable of those outputs

As far as I'm aware there are no plans for 1080p broadcasts but the box is capable of outputting it. I'd imagine it can downscale 4k content to a 1080p screen, hence the 1080p output.

Will this force you to use Sky broadband? Or be more expensive if you don't have it? If so, I'm out.

But if not, depending on the price anyway, this looks great!

From what I've seen the SkyQ box will work just fine with other BB providers but you won't get the wifi hotspot functionality from the Mini box. That only works with the SkyQ Hub.

Back
Top Bottom