• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake E

Associate
?

Skylake-E = Skylake, same architecture that was released in August 2015. Please don't spread false information that this is a 'first major overhaul' for them.

Obviously Skylake-E will have far more cores on offer, more cache, new chipset with octane support (as does z270) but there is absolutely nothing new that could be considered an overhaul. We're talking 5% IPC from Broadwell-E to Skylake-E, so unnoticeable outside benchmarks. x99 already has pretty much all the chipset goodies apart from optane support.

The next new architecure from Intel is 'Icelake' - due out 2H 2018. This will actually be a new architecture, with probably at least 5% more IPC than Skylake/Kabylake/Coffeelake (all of these are Skylake architecture).

Skylake - New architecture (released August 2015)
Kabylake - Skylake +200Mhz, due to a slight improvement on the 14nm'+' process
Cannonlake - Mobile only chips, 2h 2017, nothing for us
Coffeelake - Intel's first mainsteam 6 core CPU, 10nm process shrink. No more flagship i7 quad cores after this, as these will have 6 cores from now on (8800k = 6 core, 10nm). Still based on Skylake.
Icelake - Intel's first new architecture since August 2015. Due to be released in 2018. Not much is known yet.

Correction:

Coffeelake is the first mainstream 6 core, based on Skylake, supported on Z270 boards (and not Z170), but is 14nm still.

Soldato
Wasn't there some information about it being called Skylake-X and Kabylake-X, with Kabylake-X having one 4 core part, and the Skylake-X being 6 core parts.

All i know roughly of the Kaby-X is that is almost a Kaby version withOUT the integrated GPU and is 4/8 thread chip . Im guessing it will include the 6 ram channel as Skylake -X but would say for sure. But if its like my old i7 860 chip going from 2.6Ghz overclocking to 4Ghz im in!

Skylake doesn't bare anything to do with its z270 counterpart , which lead to bit of explosion on the previous page but does have 6/12 threads plus .

Key thing again is memory support, shouldn't be seeing a repeat of x99 or what is currently happening with AM4 at the moment.

seems like 7700k will remain the speed king, Kaby-x will take the thrown away from 1700@4Ghz for gaming/ multitasking and then Skylake-x just being a threading beast with £1k price tags and doesn't have to worry about pricing with AMD, a whole different kettle of fish - well this last sentence is my personal view anyway

Soldato
I'd be up for Kabylake-X to be honest. I don't really need my current X99 CPU, as I don't run anything that can truly utilise all the cores. Kabylake-X with insane overclocking would just remind me of my trsuty X58 system running the i7-920 @ 4GHz. Those were the days!

Soldato
Anyone think the prices are likely to get any better on the 8-cores, or do people think the pricing stack will stay the same?

I guessing that would depend on if Ryzen starts eating into there market share or not. I would hope that would case them to cut the price, but sadly I don't think so.

Caporegime
All i know roughly of the Kaby-X is that is almost a Kaby version withOUT the integrated GPU and is 4/8 thread chip . Im guessing it will include the 6 ram channel as Skylake -X but would say for sure. But if its like my old i7 860 chip going from 2.6Ghz overclocking to 4Ghz im in!

Skylake doesn't bare anything to do with its z270 counterpart , which lead to bit of explosion on the previous page but does have 6/12 threads plus .

Key thing again is memory support, shouldn't be seeing a repeat of x99 or what is currently happening with AM4 at the moment.

seems like 7700k will remain the speed king, Kaby-x will take the thrown away from 1700@4Ghz for gaming/ multitasking and then Skylake-x just being a threading beast with £1k price tags and doesn't have to worry about pricing with AMD, a whole different kettle of fish - well this last sentence is my personal view anyway

In what world is a Kaby-X with 4 cores and 8 threads, on a more expensive motherboard, with only two of the four memory channels working... going to take the throne away from the 8 core 16 thread 1700 Zen? Might it be faster for gaming.... some, we'll likely see 8 cores beat 4 cores in more and more games so that is arguable. Will it be faster in multithreading... absolutely not, not by a million miles. There is zero upside to Kaby-X, it's basically if you think you might be a $1000+ Skylake-X in the future, buy a Skylake-X motherboard but buy a budget 4 core chip to stick in it till you can afford $1000. it makes entirely no sense, if you can't afford a Skylake-X, get a Zen or a Kabylake and z270, even a Coffeelake 6 core APU potentially towards the very end of the year.

Kabylake-X makes precisely zero sense, for anyone, it's just flat out stupid. Even if you do make the upgrade to Skylake-x, you'll get more selling a 6700/7700k and a x270 mobo than you would for the Kabylake-X being sold on as no one anywhere will actually want it. Quad core cpu, on a platform that already offers 6-10 cores and is moving to 6-12 cores with quad channel memory... it can't utilise. It's unclear if it will even have the extra pci-e lanes, it's not at all clear it will and for a quad core system who the hell will use them.

Soldato
Kabylake-X makes precisely zero sense, for anyone, it's just flat out stupid.

Saying no one would buy it is like saying no one would buy a bugatti veyron, over priced and a top speed you could never match on the road or track :)
And Intel's marketing department is night a day to AMD. They will make people want it!

As for pricing, Skylake-x will be costly , so would the x299 boards , but no idea with Kaby X... Intel have a good market up on CPUs. Nothing stopping them from dropping i7 7700k prices at all, in fact they didn't with Ryzen launch, resellers did.
If, if kaby X is like a 860/920 were you could take a core from 2.6ghz and hit 4Ghz then could OC like a beast. Hit headlines and break records .

As for memory , see your point . unless you sleep in a lot of ram sticks, or unlike z270 you can run more the 2 sticks @ max supported speeds . have to ask @8 Pack on that one.

just to highlight Skylake-X isnt a Skylake with more cores

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...eal_intel_s_upcoming_32-core_skylake-ep_cpu/1

its an expensive beast!

The size of the socket! I want one just so I can hold it and stare at it.....is that weird?

Must admit I think the Kabylake-x just muddies the waters. Some people will buy it but unless the have a major price restructure on their current CPU's its difficult to see why people would spend their money on yet another 4 core CPU. Yes if its an OC'ing monster that might make it interesting but its market would surely be very niche.

Soldato
The size of the socket! I want one just so I can hold it and stare at it.....is that weird?

Must admit I think the Kabylake-x just muddies the waters. Some people will buy it but unless the have a major price restructure on their current CPU's its difficult to see why people would spend their money on yet another 4 core CPU. Yes if its an OC'ing monster that might make it interesting but its market would surely be very niche.

Kind of get the feeling its i7 860/ Lynnfield & i7 920/ Bloomfield marketing/Territory - but least they were quite different and overclocking was very different between them. Not sure if z270 and x99 will offer as much differences between the two apart from PCIe lanes .

Time will tell I guess , Very big socket for a Kaby-x with 4/8 cores , no iGPU and Dual- (at a stretch quad memory ) channel.

Id personally like to Kaby X as a 6/12 version with iGPU and quad channel , and have Skylake X rocking the Hex channel 8 core+ no iGPU line up.
That and changing the naming! Two X products using previous naming where one is "newer" but lacking features of the "older" gen which isn't quie is non-extreme version....

Sem

Sem

Soldato
just to highlight Skylake-X isnt a Skylake with more cores

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...eal_intel_s_upcoming_32-core_skylake-ep_cpu/1

its an expensive beast!

i hope your right and its only using the skylake name but still get the process improvements as kabylake and 4k Netflix support etc
Still dont understand why they are bringing out a Kaby lake-x tho

if not will take the mic as skylake will get getting on to two years old by the time this comes out while the mainstream will be gearing up for their 3rd "lake" cpu

Back
Top Bottom