Skyrocketing monitor prices

Caporegime
Mini rant

Was looking for a new monitor few weeks back. Finally came to a decision but saw the prices have increased. And they haven't stopped

Obviously in guessing this is due to corona.
Shame as now I basically can't get one. The one in looking at has inflated by hundreds of pounds.

Is it people working from home driving it?

Caporegime
Mini rant

Was looking for a new monitor few weeks back. Finally came to a decision but saw the prices have increased. And they haven't stopped

Obviously in guessing this is due to corona.
Shame as now I basically can't get one. The one in looking at has inflated by hundreds of pounds.

Is it people working from home driving it?

loads of folk from my work been buying monitors to work from home. also shortages.
still bargains to be had on gumtree, members market and ebay. but harder to find.

i would never buy a new monitor in the current climate.

Soldato
Computer 'monitors' are pretty garbage these days, quality control wise. Much better off buying a OLED TV (LG C9, CX range) instead, as long as you have room for a large, deep desk.

£1400 (often cheaper) gets you a 55" OLED, 120Hz, HDMI 2.1, perfect screen quality control wise and the best image quality possible. Only downside is a risk of burn in after several years of desktop use (ways to minimise/negate this).

LG launching a 48" OLED in a few weeks which will rocket in terms of sales for use as desktop monitors.

Caporegime
Computer 'monitors' are pretty garbage these days, quality control wise. Much better off buying a OLED TV (LG C9, CX range) instead, as long as you have room for a large, deep desk.

£1400 (often cheaper) gets you a 55" OLED, 120Hz, HDMI 2.1, perfect screen quality control wise and the best image quality possible. Only downside is a risk of burn in after several years of desktop use (ways to minimise/negate this).

LG launching a 48" OLED in a few weeks which will rocket in terms of sales for use as desktop monitors.

I'd argue it's best just buying second hand.

Also there is no such thing as perfect screen and best image quality is also subjective.

For example I have a colormunki. I can pretty much make any screen perfect in terms of colours or as close to.

I already have a 32" screen and it's the biggest I can go. At times it feels too big. I think for most normal desks 27" is probably the right size. 32" for some with bigger desks. Also depends on the type of gaming but there is no way I could play FPS on a 55", 4K 120hz screen.

I'm 1440p, 165 hz. So better suited for FPS.

Also 4K means = spend triple on GPU than you normally would. I'd rather go lower res screens to save on GPU and screen cost. Plus £1500 for a PC monitor is quite frankly a laughable budget for most.

Soldato
I'd argue it's best just buying second hand.

Also there is no such thing as perfect screen and best image quality is also subjective.

For example I have a colormunki. I can pretty much make any screen perfect in terms of colours or as close to.

I already have a 32" screen and it's the biggest I can go. At times it feels too big. I think for most normal desks 27" is probably the right size. 32" for some with bigger desks. Also depends on the type of gaming but there is no way I could play FPS on a 55", 4K 120hz screen.

I'm 1440p, 165 hz. So better suited for FPS.

Also 4K means = spend triple on GPU than you normally would. I'd rather go lower res screens to save on GPU and screen cost. Plus £1500 for a PC monitor is quite frankly a laughable budget for most.

Not only that you need a graphics card that doesn't exist yet as it requires an HDMI 2.1 connection to get 4k @120hz.

The bigger the screen the further you have to sit from it.

I can live with myself without having to spend that much money because I have to have the blackest blacks. peen to screenpeen

My black cat is blacker than your black cat.

Caporegime
OP

Yeah as much as I'd love that I think it's too big

If it was amazing for all my uses I'd get it.
But it's far too big for 3d design, photos.

I've decided to get one for each use. But these prices, no way.

Soldato

He's complaining a £520 screen has went to £650, putting it out of his prce range and you suggest a £1400 OLED unit ? You mad, bro ?

I bought literally the cheapest 24" 144Hz 4:4:4 panel the other week direct for £79.99 It's excellent, and easily surpasses anything I'd seen preiously for less than £200. Cheap screens are good these days, it's not like days gone by where there was a direct relationship with price:quality

Permabanned
So just do not buy? If someone raises the price and loses customers, I hope the idiots who do buy make up for those who did not. But even then you **** off customers.

So if it were me and my business, I would never try to benefit from Coronavirus.

Caporegime
So just do not buy? If someone raises the price and loses customers, I hope the idiots who do buy make up for those who did not. But even then you **** off customers.

So if it were me and my business, I would never try to benefit from Coronavirus.

are you simple?

supply has diminished. therefore prices have to go up.

supply and demand. they aren't putting prices up just because.

Associate
A monitor I was looking at picking up for the office has just come back in stock at over £100 price difference. Yeah won’t be buying that.

Associate

I’ll certainly be considering the 48” for use solely as a monitor once the dust settles next year and the price is cheaper. Mind you I’m still waiting for the 77” to come down in line with Europe which most likely won’t happen now.

Caporegime
OP
He's complaining a £520 screen has went to £650, putting it out of his prce range and you suggest a £1400 OLED unit ? You mad, bro ?

I bought literally the cheapest 24" 144Hz 4:4:4 panel the other week direct for £79.99 It's excellent, and easily surpasses anything I'd seen preiously for less than £200. Cheap screens are good these days, it's not like days gone by where there was a direct relationship with price:quality

To be fair if it was amazing and did everything I want and it wasn't corona hell I'd probably go for it. Better warranty as well.

Looks like stock has just dried up basically of this monitor (EX3501R). Without amazon to hold down the price the other retailers have jacked up price a lot.

Pulled my old u2711 out of the garage and it still works. So won't be buying anything at all

Maybe when all this is over a load of people will stick them up for sale second hand.
Until then new monitor is off the cards

Should have gotten it on black Friday. Dang

Soldato
For me the biggest issue at the moment isn't so much monitor price as it is monitor availability, things like the LG 27GL850 and GL83 are basically impossible to get hold of at the moment. Hopefully when South Korean factories reopen (if they haven't done so already) we'll start to see stock replenish, but yeah monitors are understandably in very short supply at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom