Skyscraper on fire in Dubai

Soldato
OP
You'd assume something was not right with the fire safety equipment in that building. Modern new looking skyscraper that really shouldn't be possible to happen I'd imagine!!

The authorities saying it's under control, if by under control they mean we're just gonna leave it till the whole place has burnt down then yeah it's under control!

Caporegime
I think it's just the curtain wall and exterior insulation burning up and not the inside - sprinklers aren't going to do anything against an updraft and the fact heat rises.

I can't see it's structurally damaging as the core will be protected.

Edit: No guarantees it won't be pulled down anyway though vs. trying to fix it.

If someone wants to read something then http://media.fsna.org.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/FSNAWhitePaperNFPA285.pdf

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Early reports are saying that the evacuation is complete and that there are no injuries.

Let's hope that's the case.

Really shocking - The Address Downtown is my favourite hotel in Dubai and where we had our honeymoon a couple of years ago.

Someone promised their spouse they were going to set the room on fire.

Too soon? :o

GeX

GeX

Soldato
The fire is spreading up the outside, the whole thing isn't engulfed in flames (yet). Good news if all the people are out now though.

Soldato
think they're quite famous for cutting corner during construction over there = major unskilled labour for the most part.

Yeah you would know that from your years of experience over there :rolleyes:

In the early 2000s a lot of investment was made in training staff in the ME especially to UK/EU standards (its like they have fast track access to decades of learning), a team were trained so well and had great awareness of standards and procedures in emergencies.

When asked where the fire exits are then......they hadn't built any!! All theory and no implementation!

I'd hope that is not the case here.

Caporegime
It's not necessarily a unskilled labour problem, tall buildings in Dubai only had to have cladding made of stuff that didn't burn from 2013 onwards.

Soldato
The authorities saying it's under control, if by under control they mean we're just gonna leave it till the whole place has burnt down then yeah it's under control!

I think that all that really means is nothing around it will catch fire, they've probably given up on the building already

Back
Top Bottom