Sleeping bag for winter camping? - please move if better sub forum for this.

Caporegime
I'm fed up of not getting out in what is seeming to be more and more bad weather in the UK.
So I've bought myself a

2 person tent - done
Alcohol stove - done
Titanium mug/pot for water - done

I still need a back pack (probably osprey exos 48)

But in struggling with a sleeping bag

I sleep quite easily on bad surfaces but I don't like being cold. But I'm also sensitive to weight due to some dodgy legs I have!
I was thinking of a :
-max 1kg - my legs aren't best so I'd like to straddle the light/ultralight threshold.
-0C to - 5C comfort (not limit) one.

I'm happy to spend more on bag than other gear but I really can't find a price point/weight/comfort temp balance.
250 ish is probably my choice max price.

I've seen a mammut protect with a comfort temp of - 3 and 1kg for 185 pounds.
This is probably great. But it has some weird central zip. I have no idea if that's good or bad. I've only ever had side zips.

Others I've looked at are rab/Mountain equipment. But there are so many brands it's like a lottery!

I've looked at blankets too. But again, not tried one so no idea if I'd like it!

Any first hand advice would be fab!

Last edited:
Titanium mug, sounds expensive.

I have the Exos rucksack it's fine for short hikes but uncomfortable for long ones, the straps are very minimalist.
Your going to want a down sleeping bag really. I prefer a slightly cooler bag and take a liner. Can also get in it with the next days clothes on for added warmth.

Last edited:
Do you have winter sleeping mat? I do loads of winter camping and my favourite goto bag is a Rab Summit.

As recommended a down bag but don’t get it wet and keep it stored out of its pack.

Last edited:
Titanium mug, sounds expensive.

I have the Exos rucksack it's fine for short hikes but uncomfortable for long ones, the straps are very minimalist.
Your going to want a down sleeping bag really. I prefer a slightly cooler bag and take a liner. Can also get in it with the next days clothes on for added warmth.
It isn't. It's one off amazon (also on Ali express) gets good reviews.

Yes this would be a down bag

Do you have winter sleeping mat? I do loads of winter camping and my favourite goto bag is a Rab Summit.

As recommended a down bag but don’t get it wet and keep it stored out of its pack.

Not yet. It's on the list after the bag. As I have something I can make do with for now.

Which rab summit? I assume they have gradings? How cold have you been out in it in?

Looks like summit might be discontinued

Last edited:
I'm not very up to date with sleeping bags, my warmest is a synthetic Mountain Hardwear Lamina 20 from 10+ years ago. There are much warmer ones out there, but I've been winter camping (tent pitched on snow, most recently up a mountain in The Lakes last year) a couple of times with it and been OK, wearing thick layers inside the bag though (understand some people don't rate this, but works for me).

One thing to add is that a well insulated sleeping mat can make a massive difference. You'd think that as long as it keeps you off the ground it won't bethat noticeable, but it really is. I have a pure inflatable mat which is fine in warmer weather, but for winter I use an Exped synmat UL winter M mat and it really makes a difference. I think mountain equipment have some very similar mats (likely made by Exped I'd guess) and my sister has the down version of something similar to mine and really rates it.

E: re the backpack personally I'd struggle to fit winter camping gear in anything smaller than a 60l bag I think, but I'm not necessarily the lightest packer. However with all the warm layers you need plus camping equipment there's only so much you can cut out imo.

Last edited:
Not yet. It's on the list after the bag. As I have something I can make do with for now.

Which rab summit? I assume they have gradings? How cold have you been out in it in?

It’s a Rab Ascent 900, got it on eBay basically brand new. I also have the Snugpack Antarctica RE which I have taken to test on the tops of the mountains but it’s way too warm and heavy lol

Been out in probably -15 with my Hilliberg tent and that bag.

So the sleeping bag isn't anywhere nearly as important as the mat. You will not get away with winter camping without both.

I've tried numerous and I've settled with a quilt, it's far superior for me. I don't like being strangled in a sleeping bag.

The rabs are decent, as are the alp kit stuff (sleeping bag wise). I really dislike the rab though, but a friend loves it (ascent 600 iirc). I bought a cheapo quilt to try and will no doubt buy a more expensive one at some point

I can't stress enough that the sleeping mat is so important for winter camping though. I have the exped ultra 5R LW, and wish I hadn't wasted time thinking cheap ones would work. This has kept me warm with just a quilt in -5~.

Oex and decathlon do some decent budget bags, sadly they don't show the down weight and just the overall weight.

Last edited:
Yeah I kind of want to try a blanket. I actually think it might be better (ie you get too hot you can poke a leg out.. It's lighter).

OK.. But if the mat is more important.. I'll take recs on that first.

Don't want a rustling one!

Last edited:
Yeah I kind of want to try a blanket. I actually think it might be better (ie you get too hot you can poke a leg out.. It's lighter).

OK.. But if the mat is more important.. I'll take recs on that first.

Don't want a rustling one!

Exped ultra 5R
Big Agnes rapide sl

Are the two I narrowed it down to.

You can Google the thermarest rustling, maybe the new ones are quiet.

I nearly imported a quilt but went for a flame creed one, I cant recommend it though as the straps are awful. Friend got an enlightened equipment and it seems really good.

The zenbivvy setup is also quite interesting.

Exped ultra 5R
Big Agnes rapide sl

Are the two I narrowed it down to.

You can Google the thermarest rustling, maybe the new ones are quiet.

I nearly imported a quilt but went for a flame creed one, I cant recommend it though as the straps are awful. Friend got an enlightened equipment and it seems really good.

The zenbivvy setup is also quite interesting.

Great think I might get that exped one. I'm sure I've seen that recommended elsewhere too

Cheaper than I expected. And 5 Yr warranty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom