Sleeping bag for winter camping? - please move if better sub forum for this.

Make sure you post a few photos...

I am out.

Its a beautiful sunset tonight!

Here's a pics.
j0N7C25.jpeg

jDuQe1Z.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!

When I was still in the military in the mid '2010s, I bought an Exped Downmat 7 XL as the sleeping mat (1.1kg & 27cm x 14cm) with a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 sleeping bag (1.5kg & 26cm x 22cm) which, even with both combined, were still smaller and lighter than the military supplied "why does it smell of peanut butter????" rubber bottomed 1960's made winter sleeping bag that I was issued - ***EDIT*** It was a called the '58 Pattern Sleeping Bag, over 3kg! and a 1ft x 1.5ft solid cube!

Now whilst all thats "old" by now and probably pointless for yourself TBH, what I did notice and is my highest recommendation for anyone else looking at hiking camping (rather than van camping etc), is that the better your sleeping mat can isolate you from the cold floor then the thinner and lighter your sleeping bag can be. So I'd 100% recommend a Exped Downmat 5/7/9 (for the older versions) or Exped Ultra 7R or Exped Dura 6R/8R (the newer versions) or similar as long as its down filled (synthetic filling just isn't as good), with a thin 2 season sleeping bag rather than just using a heavy 4-5 season sleeping bag placed directly on the tent floor, you will be warmer in my experience!

Obviously experiences may vary so thats just my thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Does look great, motivating me to get out soon, not been for a while. Can take the dog too for added warmth this winter, tested him out earlier in the year and he seems happy enough squished into the tent :p
RxgrXfg.jpeg

Does look great, motivating me to get out soon, not been for a while. Can take the dog too for added warmth this winter, tested him out earlier in the year and he seems happy enough squished into the tent :p
RxgrXfg.jpeg
Was tempted to take the dog. Not sure if he'd be a pain or not.

Nice!

When I was still in the military in the mid '2010s, I bought an Exped Downmat 7 XL as the sleeping mat (1.1kg & 27cm x 14cm) with a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 sleeping bag (1.5kg & 26cm x 22cm) which, even with both combined, were still smaller and lighter than the military supplied "why does it smell of peanut butter????" rubber bottomed 1960's made winter sleeping bag that I was issued.

Now whilst all thats "old" by now and probably pointless for yourself TBH, what I did notice and is my highest recommendation for anyone else looking at hiking camping (rather than van camping etc), is that the better your sleeping mat can isolate you from the cold floor then the thinner and lighter your sleeping bag can be. So I'd 100% recommend a Exped Downmat 5/7/9 (for the older versions) or Exped Ultra 7R or Exped Dura 6R/8R (the newer versions) or similar as long as its down filled (synthetic filling just isn't as good), with a thin 2 season sleeping bag rather than just using a heavy 4-5 season sleeping bag placed directly on the tent floor, you will be warmer in my experience!

Obviously experiences may vary so thats just my thoughts on it.

Tonight is a test.
My exped didn't come in time.
I'm in a 2 season sleeping bag, on a foam mat, and it's gonna be 3c!

Last edited:
Tonight is a test.
My exped didn't come in time.
I'm in a 2 season sleeping bag, on a foam mat, and it's gonna be 3c!

I've managed minus temps a non insulated mat and a summer sleeping bag before. (Top of snowdon) Absolutely worst thing ever and quickly seen sense and upgraded both :p

Fun experience though.

Was tempted to take the dog. Not sure if he'd be a pain or not.
Yeah it does add a bit more faffing sorting him out and keeping an eye on him, plus extra stuff to bring (main items being food & foldable bowl etc, small towel plus a picnic mat that I use to keep mud & and sharp claws off my stuff), so I wouldn't necessarily bring him every time. I think last time he heard something in the middle of the night and wanted to get out to investigate so we had a joint 3am toilet trip. I'm not sure what he'd make of the tent if it was a windy night and it was blowing about a lot either. But it is nice to have the dog around and I think he enjoys it :) .

I'd maybe try setting the tent up in the garden and getting him used to it first if he's not been in a small tent before and seeing if he's nervous of getting in it. First time we went we had a decent hike first which tired him out too which I think helped him settle down inside.

I've managed minus temps a non insulated mat and a summer sleeping bag before. (Top of snowdon) Absolutely worst thing ever and quickly seen sense and upgraded both :p

Fun experience though.
Let's just say I did get some sleep, not as much as I'd like.. And I'm looking forward to my winter stuff coming! Glad it was only one night. Hit 2c!

I got a Vango Cobra 400, used it last winter and it was brilliant, woke up with ice in the bivvy and I was toasty. Did a fair bit of research and for the price it's pretty damn good.

I dont know about these days but in the past the British Army Winter sleeping bags were high end Carinthia ones from Austria.
The UK forces procurement often use commercial brands, but tweak the designs to fit the purpose. Karrimor LCE, for example. I believe the current cabbage kit is Crye production, but a design modified from their usual offerings.

I'd never choose my issued bag over my own ones, theyre fine for the money (or free) but their heavy compared to down. They (British ones at least) don't use down, so they're heavy.
What do they use, then? Last time I had a down bag it was the '58 patt ones, which were so heavy they qualify as a back-up weapon!
Everything I've had since has been several tons lighter. Not on the same level as a Gucci ultralight-hiking spec, where 0.001g is (judging by the marketing) the difference between skipping lightly up a mountain and being on your knees under the weight... but overall light enough and for a far better price.

Mil-kit is designed to just about be adequate for as cheap as possible, normally at the lowest bidder - definitely not high end gear compared to other brands.
British kit is, yes, but I deliberately steered away from that... Dave mentioned Austria, who have a reputation for some good kit because they don't have to make it to crappy NATO spec.
Austria uses Carinthia since they're a domestic brand, but you can get an unissued surplus one for about one tenth the price of a retail one!!

Rab Ascent 900, I've woken up with ice on the chest area where my breath was condensing during the night.

Yeah I was looking at this range but chickened out due to the weight.

I know fill weight is more important than comfort scores. But I'm hoping the one I've chosen is OK, I it's 1.1kg. That rab 900 is 1.6kg which is quite a lot more.

Yeah I was looking at this range but chickened out due to the weight.

I know fill weight is more important than comfort scores. But I'm hoping the one I've chosen is OK, I it's 1.1kg. That rab 900 is 1.6kg which is quite a lot more.

I use it for car camping so the weight is not a problem. Trying to get the weight/comfort/size/price balance is "difficult"

What do they use, then? Last time I had a down bag it was the '58 patt ones, which were so heavy they qualify as a back-up weapon!

They were 3kg, which was 10% heavier than the issued Sterling Sub Machine Gun (stormtroopers gun) was and about the same as a modern US M4A1 Rifle weighs!

The one I got issued was washed numerous times by both myself, the military and even dry cleaners and it still, to the day I handed it back, stunk of peanut butter when you opened it - a truly hateful bit of kit! I don't have the picture of this any more but when I moved to a Harrier Sqn in the mid 90's I was issued a "short-back" 90L bergen and just the 58 sleeping bag took up the entire bottom third!

They were 3kg, which was 10% heavier than the issued Sterling Sub Machine Gun (stormtroopers gun) was and about the same as a modern US M4A1 Rifle weighs!
But those were the '58 patt down-filled ones, right?
Everything issued since '90 patt has been lighter than down, not heavier...

But those were the '58 patt down-filled ones, right?
Everything issued since '90 patt has been lighter than down, not heavier...

Yeap, the 58 pattern one as shown below from a stock image, rubberised bottom half, down filled and they curled back up into themselves with two plastic toggles.

57_0eac8775-9c66-4b28-b844-bba48be10051_1024x1024.png

i used to camp in winter. i think my coldest was about -10degc. The water froze in the kettle before I turned in for the night, and the car had icicles on it too just as hot into the tent.

Key for me is having a tent with an inner chamber for sleeping that is seperated from the outside membrane. Then inside, get off the ground with good mat and a 4 season sleeping bag.

The inner chamber keeps the warmth and ant outer damp out.

I know that there are people that camp with a bivvy and bag, but i’ve always been dragging a load of astro gear.

Back
Top Bottom