Sleeping bag for winter camping? - please move if better sub forum for this.

Was going to recommend Ajungilak as I slept in one during winter in a caravan in Holland and was toasty warm even when my mug of water was frozen solid but I see they have been acquired by Mammut

So I have ordered the exped 5r wide.

Still on lookout for a sleep bag/quilt.
Can't seem to shake that I should get a quilt for the weight saving.
But they are so expensive

Last edited:
So I have ordered the exped 5r wide.

Still on lookout for a sleep bag/quilt.
Can't seem to shake that I should get a quilt for the weight saving.
But they are so expensive
Ice flame quilts from Ali express are affordable their are a few reviews on YouTube. Might be worth a look...I've been quite tempted.

Slightly off topic, but I always think how much I'd like to do some sort of camping, but I remember when it's either really cold or really inconvenient. Have fun camping :)

Last edited:
Ice flame quilts from Ali express are affordable their are a few reviews on YouTube. Might be worth a look...I've been quite tempted.

This is what I have. Honestly it's great. Below -5 I use a very lightweight summer bag and this. Which still weighs less than my rab and is much warmer.

But if I done it again, id spend more on something better. The straps are useless which let's in side drafts.

These are some I've considered for the next one, you can nearly always ignore the temperature readings and compare fill weights (not overall weight). If one shows 0c and another shows 0c but is half the fill weight, id take those numbers with a pinch of salt.

Id be careful with the quilt though, it isn't for everyone but I absolutely love them.

Also if your 6ft, go with a long and wide pad (the extra weight is worth it)

This is what I have. Honestly it's great. Below -5 I use a very lightweight summer bag and this. Which still weighs less than my rab and is much warmer.

But if I done it again, id spend more on something better. The straps are useless which let's in side drafts.

These are some I've considered for the next one, you can nearly always ignore the temperature readings and compare fill weights (not overall weight). If one shows 0c and another shows 0c but is half the fill weight, id take those numbers with a pinch of salt.

Id be careful with the quilt though, it isn't for everyone but I absolutely love them.

Also if your 6ft, go with a long and wide pad (the extra weight is worth it)

Thanks. I've actually decided to try a sleeping bag for winter as prices are much cheaper and I probably won't need ultralight so much as I doubt it'll be more than 1-2 days.
But I think for rest of year I'll get a cheaper (ie less filled) quilt.
I think I've seen most of the above on reviews.

Thanks (everyone) who recommended the sleep mat as the most important piece. I've gone for the 183cm wide. The standard width looks ridiculous and I'm quite broad shouldered.

So now I just need a better backpack and a few bits.

May try and get out this weekend with what I have. Sleeping bag won't have arrived yet, but I can make do with a heavy old one. And I'll have to use my not appropriate osprey fairview that's designed for travel on planes. But Ill just stick to somewhere local.

Last edited:
I've got a Rab Neutrino (400 I think) and ME Snowline for cold weather use. The Rab is fine for most UK use and weighs less than a kg. The ME bag, I've used above the snowline in the alps and on an arctic plateau and it's kept me warm. It does weigh about 1.5kg though. For summer use, I've got a lighter Rab Neutrino.
I've got two Exped mats which make a massive difference to temperature. I use a SynMat UL 7 for summer and a DownMat UL 7 for winter.

Personally I'd look at army surplus options from the militaries of cold countries, like Canada and Norway.
Mil-kit is designed for both people in high energy roles, who might go to bed warm but then risk severe hypothermia as they cool down, but also those in static roles for long periods such as sentries, who would already be pretty cold come bedtime.

I have a Thermarest Questar 0F/-18C. It is comfort rated to -10C. I pair it with a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite and have always been toasty warm in it even though I sleep cold (in fact I am usually only sleeping in my underwear in it, maybe with a hat on the cold nights - it creates a good warm pocket that envelopes my whole body).

It's what I would use in the first instance if I started winter camping. If I were worried about temperature I'd add a reflective roll mat under the sleeping mat and use a silk liner inside, but I have so far never needed either. If I were going into more hardcore winter camping I'd buy the xtherm to use instead of the Xlite, and consider layering a synthetic bag/quilt with the Questar for extra damp resistance. And/or I'd buy a hot tent.

Personally I'd look at army surplus options from the militaries of cold countries, like Canada and Norway.
Mil-kit is designed for both people in high energy roles, who might go to bed warm but then risk severe hypothermia as they cool down, but also those in static roles for long periods such as sentries, who would already be pretty cold come bedtime.

I dont know about these days but in the past the British Army Winter sleeping bags were high end Carinthia ones from Austria.

I bought an army surplus one about 16 years back but its so hot that it really does need to be properly cold to use it.

I dont know about these days but in the past the British Army Winter sleeping bags were high end Carinthia ones from Austria.

I bought an army surplus one about 16 years back but its so hot that it really does need to be properly cold to use it.

I'd never choose my issued bag over my own ones, theyre fine for the money (or free) but their heavy compared to down. They (British ones at least) don't use down, so they're heavy.

Mil-kit is designed to just about be adequate for as cheap as possible, normally at the lowest bidder - definitely not high end gear compared to other brands.

Doing my first camp tonight.
I'm missing the mat (boo) and using a heavier old sleeping bag.
But I'm only going 1km from the car. And it's not that cold.

Make sure you post a few photos...
Will do!

I bought my titanium cup from Aliexpress (apparently the brand is quite good) and it was for some reason "90 percent off".

Wonder what I'm going to get in the post!

UijX2hi.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom