• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI 1080TI restarting comp

Associate
Hi everyone! I have just built a beautiful new computer and it has been running perfectly but I have got greedy and decided to SLI it. I have bought the official Nvidia SLI bridge to make sure I get the best out of it. The issue is as soo as I turn SLI on and start to run a game, after about 15 seconds the computer restarts. Sometimes I even get the blue screen saying 'SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED'. My system is as below;

Asus Z270f motherboard
Intel I7 7700k running at about 4.5Ghz
32GB of Gskill Trident Z Ram
500GB Samsung Evo SSD
1TB Samsung Evo SSD
2 x Asus ROG 1080TI Graphics cards
850W Corsair power supply.

Any ideas please help!

Thanks, Brandon

Associate
Take out (or disable) the original GPU and try running with just the newer one in place (non-SLI). It could be a duff card.

Also check you have the latest drivers (although with nVidia, that's no guarantee of stability...)

It could also be a power problem - make sure you have the additional power connectors firmly attached.

Associate
Make sure everything is at stock speeds then test it.

Some MBs require an extra power cable to be connected when using CF or SLI but I couldn't see anything in the manual. It does recommend a 1000W+ PSU though when using CF or SLi which does seem a little bit of overkill.

Associate
Take out (or disable) the original GPU and try running with just the newer one in place (non-SLI). It could be a duff card.

Also check you have the latest drivers (although with nVidia, that's no guarantee of stability...)

It could also be a power problem - make sure you have the additional power connectors firmly attached.

Do exactly this and test the card on its own first, but for what its worth, an overclocked system with 2x1080ti SLI and a 7700K OC, is cutting it for the power supply ( getting any coil whine ? ), especially some of corsairs lower models, PSU can and will degrade eventually, more than likely the PSU if your new card check out solo. ( if you can borrow one to test, all the better ).

Soldato
Evidence?

you have an i PSU, show us your power draw

Sure, let me find my cable.

But for knowledge alone my 980Ti SLI used to regularly draw 900w. Most it ever drew with a custom bios on both cards was 1100w from the wall and that was because the PSU maxed out. The cards had to down clock.

As you wish... card is maxed with around 20% usage across all cores on the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
This is my single 1080ti while mining cryptocurrency....

nze3R8B.png

I'll have 1080ti SLI tomorrow but I would imagine that SLI, with an overclocked CPU, and CPU load (currently only my GPU is loaded) would be really tight on an 850W PSU.

Associate
OP
Hey everyone! Thanks for the input so far! I have swapped the cards. Used the secondary card as a primary (by itself) and it works fine. I have changed the SLI Bridge and turned it back on and I am still getting the restarting and green videos aswell as black bars. Do you really think the PSU is the problem? It is a brand new 850 but I can get it changed if necessary.

Thanks so far!

Man of Honour
Hey everyone! Thanks for the input so far! I have swapped the cards. Used the secondary card as a primary (by itself) and it works fine. I have changed the SLI Bridge and turned it back on and I am still getting the restarting and green videos aswell as black bars. Do you really think the PSU is the problem? It is a brand new 850 but I can get it changed if necessary.

Thanks so far!

Run your CPU at stock and see what happens.

Associate
OP
Hi Everyone! Everything I read on Nvidia about a second graphics card is that when you plug the second in the drivers you originally installed would be sufficient. After changing so many things I wanted to delete the current drivers and reinstall. IT WORKED! Do you guys think I should still upgrade the PSU? Everywhere I read says the 850 should be sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom