• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI 1080TI restarting comp

RJC

RJC

Don
Get yourself a plugin energy monitor and see what your pulling from the wall, this will give a rough idea on what your system will be pulling.

Soldato
Hi Everyone! Everything I read on Nvidia about a second graphics card is that when you plug the second in the drivers you originally installed would be sufficient. After changing so many things I wanted to delete the current drivers and reinstall. IT WORKED! Do you guys think I should still upgrade the PSU? Everywhere I read says the 850 should be sufficient.
Dont bother mate. It should be enough power and it certainly sounds like you resolved the problem.

Associate
Hi Everyone! Everything I read on Nvidia about a second graphics card is that when you plug the second in the drivers you originally installed would be sufficient. After changing so many things I wanted to delete the current drivers and reinstall. IT WORKED! Do you guys think I should still upgrade the PSU? Everywhere I read says the 850 should be sufficient.

You didn't read your Motherboard manual ;)

I would have thought you'd want to overclock the 7700k as there's probably plenty of headroom. If so you might want to consider a beefier PSU.

Associate
Everywhere I read says the 850 should be sufficient.
850W is sufficient. If you were using 10-year old components for the rest of your system, then no, it would be cutting it fine - but we're not in the dark ages anymore. You're probably looking at around 650W peak power draw with your setup (just a rough guestimate from your components), which, depending on your Corsair PSU model, is probably just slightly beyond the peak efficiency point of your PSU. I really wouldn't worry about it.

The only logical reason you may want a beefier PSU is to make the system quieter.

Associate
850W is sufficient. If you were using 10-year old components for the rest of your system, then no, it would be cutting it fine - but we're not in the dark ages anymore. You're probably looking at around 650W peak power draw with your setup (just a rough guestimate from your components), which, depending on your Corsair PSU model, is probably just slightly beyond the peak efficiency point of your PSU. I really wouldn't worry about it.

The only logical reason you may want a beefier PSU is to make the system quieter.
OP has 7700k that can be probably easily overclocked by a fair chunk, 32GB memory, multiple SSDs, twin 1080Ti - a top spec system. It seems strange to skimp on the PSU.

Associate
OP has 7700k that can be probably easily overclocked by a fair chunk, 32GB memory, multiple SSDs, twin 1080Ti - a top spec system. It seems strange to skimp on the PSU.
A decent 850W Corsair PSU is not skimping, it's sized about right for that rig IMO.

For reference, I'm running a similarly-spec'd system albeit with dual 1080s rather than 1080Ti's, and I doubt it draws more than 450W from the wall at full load (dual 1080Tis would about 150-200W on top of that max). My 1000W PSU is complete overkill (but on the plus side, at least the PSU fan almost never kicks in).

Associate
A decent 850W Corsair PSU is not skimping, it's sized about right for that rig IMO.

For reference, I'm running a similarly-spec'd system albeit with dual 1080s rather than 1080Ti's, and I doubt it draws more than 450W from the wall at full load (dual 1080Tis would about 150-200W on top of that max). My 1000W PSU is complete overkill (but on the plus side, at least the PSU fan almost never kicks in).
We'll agree to differ but I think a system of that spec should have a beefier PSU.

Associate
OK, so a quick check with a watt meter at the wall socket on my system (specs in my sig) running the Unigine benchmarks, and the total draw hovers around 470W, peaking at about 505W - and that's including the monitor, a couple of chargers, a lamp power supply and a Vive lighthouse (all of which accounts for around 30W when my PC is off - I couldn't be bothered to undo my cable management).

3DMark Firestrike (which flexes both GPU and CPU), that creeps up to 550W peak altogether.

I really don't think the OP has anything to worry about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom