Small sporty'ish car up to £10k?

Soldato
I'm currently driving a 2017 Octavia estate, but I'm looking for something smaller and more fun, the main use for my car was transporting our dog, and we sadly lost him last week.

I was thinking something along the following lines, but open to any suggestions :-

Abarth 595
Mini Cooper
Polo GTI
Ibiza Cupra
Fiesta ST-3

Any other ideas please? Thanks.

Last edited:
I loved my Clio 197 F1. Easily the most fun car I've ever had. Not the fastest of thing, nor the most economical, but the phrase "like a go kart" has never been as apt for me.

So yes, I would also suggest some sort of renaultsport, as above.

The Fiesta ST is also supposed to be great fun though. As is pretty much everything on that list.

My next most "fun" car I've had was a slightly modified VW Golf GTI Edition 30. Not quite as on rails as the Clio, but not a million miles behind (for my abilities at least). But it was significantly faster. You could probably get a quite nice k04 powered Golf for your budget. And a few mods could get such a Golf to around 350+ BHP. I've had over 35 cars so far, and out of them all, the Edition 30 is a car I would consider buying again. Probably the only car I've had I would buy another of (I am usually of the opinion there are so many good cars out there, why buy the "same" car twice, when you can try something else). But my requirements would be tight. I would have to have 3 door, xenons, DSG with the full height display in it and not white or silver. The Pirelli Edition would work here too, arguably even rarer than the Edition 30. Edition 35's should be doable with your budget though.

All that to say though, probably not sgnificantly enough smaller than the Octavia. But one of the best "all rounders" out there. Something a bit special, decent power, great handling, overall well built etc...

My fiesta St was as much fun as the clio sport but significantly faster. Id imagine the clio would be more fun round a track, but on the road they're equally as enjoyable.

It was also far more economical.

Last edited:
Audi S1?
Mini Cooper S will probably be about as fun as you can get without getting seriously impractical I would've thought

None of those is massive even though they're 4 seats. Does it have to be a hatch type thing? MX5?

Or, for £10k I got an old Z4 with the 3 litre engine while I could still have a big old straight six petrol engine. It's not as much fun as my old MX5 but more suited to me now I'm approaching 50!

Would the Ford be more reliable too?

I didn't have any major issues with either. But I done about 60-80k on the 182 and probably only 12 or so on the st.

Id still go st again. The straight line speed after a map is significantly different

I just sold mine for £4k but it seems prices have **** up again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, not looking for anything mega fast, and not really looking to remap or upgrade it in anyway.

Just fancy something more fun than a 1.4t DSG Octavia estate car! :cry:

200bhp should be more than enough, I had a Cupra estate before the Octavia, so I might have a look at a 1.8 or 2.0 FR hatch too.

Thanks for the replies, not looking for anything mega fast, and not really looking to remap or upgrade it in anyway.

Just fancy something more fun than a 1.4t DSG Octavia estate car! :cry:

200bhp should be more than enough, I had a Cupra estate before the Octavia, so I might have a look at a 1.8 or 2.0 FR hatch too.

This is what I said, then a remap goes on offer and the man maths make sense :)

Them cliosports are means to be awesome fun :D

Mazda 3 MPS? FWD ~256bhp mk2s available for well below 10k now

MX5, GT86, BRZ? how many seats you need?

Me mate has a Focus ST3 Diseasel and I've borrowed it a few times, nowt special tbh
Had a Golf GTI when my 6MPS went in for some insurance work, felt flat as a fart

Them cliosports are means to be awesome fun :D

Mazda 3 MPS? FWD ~256bhp mk2s available for well below 10k now

MX5, GT86, BRZ? how many seats you need?

Me mate has a Focus ST3 Diseasel and I've borrowed it a few times, nowt special tbh
Had a Golf GTI when my 6MPS went in for some insurance work, felt flat as a fart

Need more than 2 seats unfortunately, shame as the garage 1 minute from my house has a lovely MX5, Z3 3.0, SLK, etc...

Test drove a 2016 Seat Ibiza 1.8t Cupra today in a lovely dynamic grey, it was rather nice, but I'm not going to dive in and buy the first car I drive.

Back
Top Bottom