Smart Meter installation warning!

Soldato
I really don't see what you or the OP are worried about. OP is not going to pay a £xxxxx bill, and nor will you if you get one. OP has obviously not used that much electricity or gas, and will be refunded accordingly. Yeah it's a pain, but it's not like you'll have to fork for it.

Exactly.
I didn't actually pay out anything they just adjusted the bill accordingly a couple of months later to credit me for the over billing bring me back to where I was. Its an inconvenience yes but the reason for me posting this was that it's also happened to someone else I know and she is right in the middle of worry central now, losing sleep and stressing about it constantly.

Smart meters are not that smart. They are 100% incompatible if you have solar panels (like me)

Didnt know that and it does like a pretty big omission.

Soldato
I'm on British Gas, when I switched to a smart meter it was a British gas sparky, with an apprentice, not contractor.

Took about an hour but he was showing his kid everything, explaining everything etc. He asked first if that was ok. I've no issues though, he has to learn.

No problems since in about a year. Wireless screen tells me everything and matches my online account and what comes out of my bank.

Associate
I'm on British Gas, when I switched to a smart meter it was a British gas sparky, with an apprentice, not contractor.

Took about an hour but he was showing his kid everything, explaining everything etc. He asked first if that was ok. I've no issues though, he has to learn.

No problems since in about a year. Wireless screen tells me everything and matches my online account and what comes out of my bank.

x2. i'm with british gas, got one of their smart meters. no problems what-so-ever *touch wood*

Soldato
Exactly.
I didn't actually pay out anything they just adjusted the bill accordingly a couple of months later to credit me for the over billing bring me back to where I was. Its an inconvenience yes but the reason for me posting this was that it's also happened to someone else I know and she is right in the middle of worry central now, losing sleep and stressing about it constantly.

I'm sure that you've made a couple of guys rest a bit easier! :)

Associate
You can refuse the installation if your supplier offers you it I believe?

yeah i did that with npower there is no legal requirement to have one i called them they put a refuse note on my address and said i would receive no further communication regarding smart meters, but if i ever changed my mind i could phone them to arrange an install.

Soldato
Not interested in getting on, I'll wait until they are compulsory, then drag it out as long as I can. There's no benefit to me from this.

Soldato
Had a chat the other day with an EDF guy who wanted me to have one installed. Having told him I wasn't interested, mainly due to the incompatibility with other energy suppliers, and the other problems highlighted on Watchdog.

He then told me that there's a new meter due around 2018/9 that will be cross compatible.

Why this wasn't done in the first place beggars belief.

Soldato
No problem with SSE they took a reading before replacing the meter.

Don't see what the bother is unless you change provider every five mins.

Man of Honour
I just don't get smart meters. I'm not sure it would encourage me to consume energy less or more..
in there current format there isn't. However smart meters are essential and will become necessary when we have a smart grid and government allow us, residential customers, to have multi pricing based on time like business use. especially when Evs get more popular and you want to dissuade people just charging them as they walk in the door and allow us to charge them at the much cheaper rate at like 2am.

Soldato
I just don't get smart meters. I'm not sure it would encourage me to consume energy less or more..
Ours has a green or red light depending on whether you're using less or more gas/electric. Its actually pretty interesting and personally I find seeing a real time £/p figure helps incentivise turning stuff off.

Caporegime
I'd want the devices and the wider network subjected to rigorous security audits and the report into the security published in full to the public, otherwise you're allowing connection of a device that can remotely power down your house, and you know nothing about it.

As more and more people get CCTV systems installed, how simple would it be if you knew somebody was out to power their house off, wait 30 minutes or so for any UPS to run down, and then break in under the cover of darkness and with no possibility of being recorded.

Soldato
I'd want the devices and the wider network subjected to rigorous security audits and the report into the security published in full to the public, otherwise you're allowing connection of a device that can remotely power down your house, and you know nothing about it.

As more and more people get CCTV systems installed, how simple would it be if you knew somebody was out to power their house off, wait 30 minutes or so for any UPS to run down, and then break in under the cover of darkness and with no possibility of being recorded.
Serious question - going on my meter for example using an unknown network sim. How easy or likely would it be for someone sat outside my house isolate the signal from my meter and hack it?

Back
Top Bottom