Smart meter

Soldato
That's like saying everyone who doesn't already have a smart meter is clueless regarding the amount of leccy they use and have way off the mark estimated bills coming out their ears. But that's part of the smart meter marketing and hype.

I have a standard meter and I know exactly what I use every month and I also don't leave things on wasting leccy.

Soldato
That's like saying everyone who doesn't already have a smart meter is clueless regarding the amount of leccy they use and have way off the mark estimated bills coming out their ears. But that's part of the smart meter marketing and hype.

I have a standard meter and I know exactly what I use every month and I also don't leave things on wasting leccy.

Not sure this is responding to me or not?

I didn’t say because don’t have a clue about how much energy they use. I said because use an obscene amount of energy at peak times ‘just because’, it’s just habit and that’s that. Even if they are aware it increases the flat rate price for everyone, there is literally no incentive for them to stop because everyone else is subsidising it.

I think it’s fair to say though that most people don’t have a clue how much energy actually costs to produce during those peaks and what impacts it has on the wider generation, grid and CO2 output.

I used to think so
But hourly energy price is driven by european market. So if electricity is expensive in France, we get hit with higher prices. No matter how many washing mashines you set on timer for your neighbours to enjoy in the night.

The spot price may well be influenced by a wider market but energy providers buy their energy up to 2 years advance, time of use pricing shouldn’t change that. Peek time electricity is the most expensive and dirtiest electric we produce.

...investing in energy storage solutions that help deal with peaks.
We need energy storage one way or another, wind and solar demand it. But no, lets blame the consumers and shift the cost of load management to them.

Peek shaving is an order of magnitude more efficient and cheaper. It just requires behaviour change and you could actually save money at the same time.

Solar actually makes the peek worse as it reduces grid demand during the day which is good. But as soon as the sun goes down in the evening you have a massive spike in demand and you need to spin up even power stations to soak that up. If you want a solar and storage system just for your house, that will be £8-10k, then multiply by 26 million.

It all sounds easy writing it out on a forum, actually doing it and paying for it is much harder and most people can’t afford the upfront cost.

I see Norway are also introducing a surcharge based on your peek demand on top of how much you consume. The bigger the peek, the more you pay.

Not arguing against saving electricity or spreading use to to off-peak hour. I do it anyway, even when paying flat rate.
But don't sell it as something good for consumer.

You are very much in the minority then and not representative at all of the general population.

Soldato
Yeah I can see why id want to have my tea at breakfast to save money, vacuum at night, do all my TV watching at night, may as well sleep at peak time.
Depends how tight you are with money :p
The sensible thing to do is shift the use of some electrical appliances, gadgets & car charging to overnight use, so you save some money for the stuff you need to use during peak time.

The other answer is get battery storage for your house, charge it during off peak times and use it up during peak hours to power your vacuum at 6pm.
All those people saying EV batteries can’t be re-cycled, there is your answer. Once they are done in cars, they make a great home battery storage solution :)

Last edited:
Soldato

You are the exception and not the norm though. You only need to listen to customer calls to energy suppliers to understand most people have no idea how much they use, they just pay whats on the bill (estimated or not) and kick off when its more than what they have previously paid (usually when they have been paying low estimated bills)

Soldato
You are the exception and not the norm though. You only need to listen to customer calls to energy suppliers to understand most people have no idea how much they use, they just pay whats on the bill (estimated or not) and kick off when its more than what they have previously paid (usually when they have been paying low estimated bills)

Or when the dodgy sales people these energy companies employ to stand in supermarket door ways and lie about how much you'll pay a month on DD with no rises whatsoever...

Caporegime
people can't do simple maths any more?

Soldato
It’s a combination of can’t do maths, have no concept of energy consumption, costs, how it’s generated or what actually consumes energy and how much.

Generally, people just see it as a bill they have to pay and that is that, it’s the same with water.

The government has tried to give away free insulation numerous times to various groups over the years but the take up is minimal.

Caporegime
Never have been able to tbf.
there's probably an app for it where you just take a photo of the meter or something, then another photo after a set period of time and it works it out for you .

I guess most the population already went smart though.

EON used to hassle me all the time, trying to get me to arrange to have one fitted and then going as far as trying to arrange dates and expecting me to confirm it... it makes me wonder if they got a bonus from the government per meter fitted or some kind of tax incentive

I just ignored it all, not heard anything since the pandemic

Soldato
The government could fine them if they didn’t install them. Customers were not cooperative which basically made the task impossible so I think the government target got pushed back. But I think the government is still set to fine them eventually.

I expect some other measures will need to be put in place to get the remainder installed e.g. non smart tariffs just being substantially more expensive but I think they’ll need to change the cap rules to implement that.

Associate
The government could fine them if they didn’t install them. Customers were not cooperative which basically made the task impossible so I think the government target got pushed back. But I think the government is still set to fine them eventually.

I expect some other measures will need to be put in place to get the remainder installed e.g. non smart tariffs just being substantially more expensive but I think they’ll need to change the cap rules to implement that.

Safety, safety, safety! Anyone who hasn't got a smart meter will be getting a visit, only this time when they say no thank you to a smart meter being installed... the current meter will fail it's safety check, especially if it a very old one. I.e over 10 years old and out of it's certification period.

Soldato
Safety, safety, safety! Anyone who hasn't got a smart meter will be getting a visit, only this time when they say no thank you to a smart meter being installed... the current meter will fail it's safety check, especially if it a very old one. I.e over 10 years old and out of it's certification period.
Be a bit dodgy that.

Associate
I moved into an apartment last year. All the meters are located in a concrete room in the basement and I have been told by the neighbours we cannot have smart meters fitted due to location. There are 96 apartments, and not one has a smart meter.

Does anyone know what this may mean in the future, If we cannot have a smart meter fitted, regardless of desire, how will energy companies offer us deals etc, given this is no fault of our own?

Soldato
I seriously doubt it for those where existing smart meters don’t work. That said I expect they’ll roll out solutions for that sort of situation in time.

For example I don’t have a gas smart meter. The gas meter cupboard is the opposite side of the house to the electric and is too far away/too many walls so can’t get a signal.

Soldato
I seriously doubt it for those where existing smart meters don’t work. That said I expect they’ll roll out solutions for that sort of situation in time.

For example I don’t have a gas smart meter. The gas meter cupboard is the opposite side of the house to the electric and is too far away/too many walls so can’t get a signal.

At EDF we are trialling the new Extender system (basically a home plug) to allow us to extend the HAN of the meter across the property and also a radio emitter/receiver that will cover a couple of hundred feet without issue.

But its going to be a while before its main stream.

Soldato
That sounds good to me and will solve plenty of problems.

they’ll probably need to come up with an external antenna system for the basement jobs.

Soldato
EON used to hassle me all the time, trying to get me to arrange to have one fitted and then going as far as trying to arrange dates and expecting me to confirm it... it makes me wonder if they got a bonus from the government per meter fitted or some kind of tax incentive

I just ignored it all, not heard anything since the pandemic

I know for Eon Next its in the T&C that your prices are dependant based on you having a smart meter fitted and eventually all suppliers will go this way if they havent already. In theory you could have your fixed price voided and be put on the SVT as you havent upheld your part of the agreement if you refuse to have smart meters fitted where they are viable. However i also no this isnt being enforced currently and probably wont be enforced for the next couple of years but it is in the T&C's

Back
Top Bottom